Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Just a small observation about transportation to/from Vegas airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/just-a-small-observation-about-transportation-to-from-vegas-airport-427080/)

k_999_9 Apr 30th, 2004 11:31 AM

Just a small observation about transportation to/from Vegas airport

Nothing earth-shaking but just an observation about transportation to and from the aiport in Vegas.

I booked a shuttle through Expedia to take me from the aiport to Harrah's (about mid-Strip). Cost: $9 + tip.

On the way back to the aiport, I took a cab. Cost $11 + tip.

The convenience of a cab seems way worth the $2 to me. Just some info if you're weighing one against the other

FainaAgain Apr 30th, 2004 11:40 AM

I absolutely agree!

k_999_9 Apr 30th, 2004 11:45 AM

Something I overlooked mentioning. The shuttle was $9 PER PERSON. So if there are two of you, the cab is cheaper.

BeachBoi Apr 30th, 2004 12:02 PM

You're kidding I hope!! We use Bell Trans......$9 per person R/T for strip hotels......Sorry to hear Expedia is ripping people off.....

FainaAgain Apr 30th, 2004 12:03 PM

shuttle $9 per person??? that must've been a round trip!!! 3 years ago we paid $4 per person on one-way shuttle.

casyn2 Apr 30th, 2004 12:27 PM

Watch out when you take a cab. I was asked the strip or the Freeway. Not knowing Las Vegas I said Freeway., thinking that is the fastest way.
Result $20.00 cab fare.

gotribe Apr 30th, 2004 01:24 PM

The shuttle is $9.00-$10.00 PP round trip or $4.50-$5.00 each way

lenleigh Apr 30th, 2004 02:06 PM

We took a cab on the way to the hotel which was around $20 because the guy also took us on the highway which was a complete round about way of getting there. On the way back we knew better and it was around $11.

WGS Apr 30th, 2004 03:06 PM

Last fall I booked my son and his girlfriend for New Year's week thru Expedia. $8 pp - round trip. Decent price, no problem.

Then we went in January. We had free flight tickets, so we didn't go thru Expedia or anyone else. When I checked into the hotel AT the airport, I was offered transportation to the Strip at $5.50 pp, one-way. I just took it, one less headache to deal with. We grabbed our luggage and stepped outside and the posted price for shuttle was $4.75. Oh well, what can I say? You're in Vegas...$22 for 2 people or $19 in person, or $16 thru a travel website. No big deal for us. If it wasn't spent there, it would be spent at the tables or slots.

sfe May 3rd, 2004 03:57 PM

We've always rented a car in Vegas, but this time we aren't going off the strip, so don't need a car. I've never used a shuttle service, how does that work? (Someone said in an earlier post that it was a hassle: why?) Also, I saw on a website somewhere that you could get a LIMO transfer from the airport to a strip hotel for $4.00 per person. That sounds too good to be true ~ anyone know anything about it? We are staying at Aladdin. One more question: how do you make sure you don't get ripped off if you take a taxi from airport to strip hotel? What exactly do you tell them? Thanks.

sfe May 3rd, 2004 03:58 PM

In the above post, I meant a shuttle service FROM THE AIRPORT to a hotel. Thanks.

vegaslocal May 4th, 2004 12:58 PM

For a trip to the Aladdin, the taxi driver should take Swenson north to Harmon. Then, west on Harmon to the Aladdin entrance. Some landmarks to watch for - Thomas & Mack center at UNLV, Hard Rock Hotel/Hoffbrauhaus, Fairfield Grand Desert Resort, ICE nightclub. You will approach the Aladdin from the rear.

jgkocis Jun 9th, 2004 09:27 AM

How long did you have to wait for the shuttle and did it take you directly to your hotel or to a bunch of them? Last time I was in vegas I got a cab, but I had to wait over 20 minutes for it.