Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Just a gentle reminder: Keep an Eye on Your Luggage!

Nov 4th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

As the holiday season approaches, keep an eye on your luggage!

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/ph...qDe80dDrg.cspx

Or better yet, travel light and carryons!
Nov 4th, 2009, 06:59 AM

I carry on whenever possible. However, a few times I have used curcside check in and seen the curbside luggage person put the WRONG TAG on my luggage and had them correct it before I left them. If you use curbside, know the airport code for your destination and wait the few seconds it takes to see them put the correc tag on before heading indoors. They are busy, underpaid and usually talking to one another and never focused on the task at hand.
Nov 4th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Keep your eye on your carryons too!
In crowded planes I've seen people use an overhead bin a long way from their seat and on disembarking they've 'lost' their luggage. Sometimes it's been moved by another passenger and once it had seemed to really disappear.
Nov 4th, 2009, 08:02 AM

This happened years ago; I can't remember if it was pre- or post 9/11 (speaking to the level of airport security).

We flew into Ft. Lauderdale with 2 young kids. Were met at the airport by my in-laws. We stood at the curb with all our luggage, waiting for FIL to come around with the car. Then we all got in and drove to their home.

Once there, I realized my carry-on was still sitting on the curb where we had been waiting. I hopped in the car and raced (safely) back to the airport, where I found my bag sitting on the edge of the curb right where I had left it about an hour before. Our return tickets were still sticking out of the outsdide pocket.

And all this while the loudspeaker blared the warning about not leaving bags unattended!
Nov 4th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

sassy_cat: yes that's a good warning too! I always watch the overhead bin as people remove things - just to be sure that someone doesn't take my bag with them, either accidentally or intentionally!

I once was waiting for my bag to come off the luggage carousel. It was getting towards the end and my bag finally arrived. Two women, one older and the other "pregnant" immediately grabbed my suitcase and left it between them as if it were theirs. It was done so smoothly no one else paid them any mind. I walked over casually, not sure if the luggage really were mine or not. Saw the scruff marks and knew it was mine, so walked up to them and said: "Excuse me, but I believe you have my luggage". The two of them starred at me with shock and fear and then made a beeline for the exit.

As bardo has said, most airline personnel handling baggage act like they just don't give a gosh-darn about your luggage.

So, protect yourself! (Especially with all those Christmas presents!)
Nov 4th, 2009, 09:14 AM

The other day on the airport shuttle, a lady was getting off, and the driver asked which bag was hers. She pointed at my husband's bag, and the driver started lifting it to put it in her trunk for her. Luckily my husband was watching, and he said, "Sorry that's my bag." And she still insisted it was hers! I think it was an honest mistake, at least I hope it was. The driver asked again whose it was, and dh told the driver to look at the tag - lo and behold it had our name on it. If we weren't paying attention, that bag would have been long gone.
Nov 4th, 2009, 09:52 AM

That's one reason we now have orange and silver bags. They stand out and are easier to keep an eye on!
Nov 4th, 2009, 10:17 AM

And be sure to keep your carry on with you once past security. I have seen women go i ntothe ladies room and leave their carry-on sitting out by the sinks instead of taking it into the stall with them.

First, you're asking to have it stolen - or at least any valuables taken.

Second, this is making life very easy for potential terrorists.

Anyone can get through security on a super cheap ticket and then simply not get on the plane.

Agree people need to be much more aware of their belongings.
Nov 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM

I've never understood the lax attitude that so many people have regarding their belongings in airports - the luggage left outside the bathroom stall thing just floors me. Or the people who leave their luggage sitting unattended while they get a snack/newspaper/cup of coffee. I am an honest person, but sometimes even I feel like walking off with people's stuff when they make it so easy.
Nov 4th, 2009, 11:33 AM

And definitely watch your stuff at the security inspection if you get pulled to be wanded. I always insist the inspectors pull my stuff from the belt while they inspect me. Sometimes they act like I'm paranoid, and once, In Las Vegas, the TSA woman actually told me they didn't have to since I could see it through the glalss cage . Turns out that was a blatant lie. They are required too pull your stuff if you ask.

I know I'm not being unreasonable, because I had my computer walk off in Portland. Luckily for me the people realized it was not theirs, and returned it, but not till after I had to go get on my plane. From what the TSA said, I think a couple each picked up the "family" computer, and only realized one of them was mine a bit later. Cost me about $80 to have them mail it to me, as they only do COD.

I now keep the computer in my Fodor's bright orange bag during the inspections. If stolen, i know it isn't mistaken identity!

I also have two friends who had their wallets lifted while doing security, one in Honolulu with all of us right behind. The wallet was lifted from her purse while she was going through the line. We know as she had just used it two minutes earlier, and discovered it at the newstand right afterwards.

When I'm traveling with a partner, we have one go through first, then the second one waits till the shoes and buckets are completely in the scanner. Harder when I'm traveling solo.
Nov 4th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Good points, lcuy, nyt, and november!

POint is not to let anything out of your sight if possible unless they're in an overhead bin during flight or checked in baggage.
Nov 5th, 2009, 11:15 AM

As a security precaution and also just for convinience, before my husband goes through security, he empties his pockets and puts his stuff in his carry-on so that when he goes through security, his wallet, watch, phone, etc. aren't sitting alone in a bin on the security belt waiting for someone to snag them.

Obviously it isn't foolproof because of course someone could walk off with his carry-on, but he figures that it is easier to keep track of his stuff if there are fewer items to keep track of and that a wallet sitting out it probably a bigger target for theft than a carryon bag that may or may not contain anything valuable. And it means he gets through security more quickly than those men who hold up the line while they rifle through their pockets removing all of their worldly belongings.
Nov 6th, 2009, 02:35 PM

I like your husband's strategy, november_moon! I'm going to tell my husband to do that.
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:40 PM

november-moon, I do something similar.

I keep a ziploc bag with me for my watch, phone, change, etc. to put into my purse while going through security. It really is easier to keep track of it all and fewer things I need to pick up on the other side.