Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Jurys Hotel or Eliot Hotel in Boston?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/jurys-hotel-or-eliot-hotel-in-boston-534514/)

anneryan Jun 6th, 2005 06:28 AM

Jurys Hotel or Eliot Hotel in Boston??

Hi, I'm taking my 17-year old daughter to Boston to look at colleges. We want to stay somewhere other than a national-chain high-rise hotel and have narrowed it down to Jury's or the Eliot Hotel. Both look to be in convenient locations, but Jury's looks like it might be more appealing to a teenager. Any thoughts or input? I'm open to other ideas too! Thanks

bennnie Jun 6th, 2005 06:36 AM

Jury's is newer and in a great location. I've been to the bar there a few times but haven't checked out the rooms. The hotel has a hip vibe to it - sort of new age Irish as opposed to stereotypical Irish pub look.

anneryan Jun 6th, 2005 03:03 PM

Thanks! Has anyone tried the Eliot Hotel or are there any other good suggestions? We've never been to Boston, so we're trying to figure this out with web-sites and guidebooks!

charlesaf3 Jun 6th, 2005 08:24 PM

Both nice - the Eliot is arguably in a slightly better location. Jurys is close to everything, but not near, if that makes sense. You'll feel a little "out of the swing of things". It is a little "hipper" than the Eliot, but I think the surroundings would have me pick the Eliot for a college student.

cigalechanta Jun 6th, 2005 09:02 PM

At the Elliot you are in a student area with Berklee School of music nearby and Virgin Music store.

cigalechanta Jun 6th, 2005 09:09 PM

It will be quiter at Jury's. It was our police headquarters. I haven't checked it out yet. The terrace looks nice and you are close to Boylston street and a few minutes walk to copley Square or the Arlington T stop.

anneryan Jun 7th, 2005 01:28 PM

Thanks, it sounds like the Eliot might be more what we're looking for. Plus, the rooms are suites so I can get up early and my teenager can sleep in!

tuckerdc Jun 8th, 2005 07:01 PM

If cost is a factor, I just got an e-m today from Jury's about sale rates, including for the Boston property. I'm sure you can find it at their website, look for something called "Book Now, Pay Later" - or words to that effect.

travbabe Jun 8th, 2005 07:22 PM

Jury's rooms are smaller, but nicer due to the newness. The restaurant has affordable meals. The location is very convenient, a short walk to the Copley Place/Prudential Mall and the Back Bay T Station. Elliot has larger rooms -- suites that would allow some privacy for each of you, but is older and more formal decor. The restaurant is very expensive and even for breakfast you will want to go outside of the property to eat. The location is equally convenient. I think the suite factor of the Elliot make it appealing, but the ability to eat at the property, even send your teenager down for a burger while you took a shower, makes the Jury's a good choice too. Jury's is clearly more hip, with interesting decor, large lobby, etc. Elliot has no lobby. You may want to consider Commonwealth Hotel in Kenmore Square -- new and right near BU. Good restaurant choices in the property, closest to the T of any of the choices, small boutiques in the property, not a chain. Are you looking at BU, BC, Harvard, MIT, Northeastern, Simmons, etc. -- your itinerary may impact your choices.

janiekins Jun 10th, 2005 10:00 AM

travebabe - I am looking to stay at the Hotel Commonwealth - what do you think of this hotel???