Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   June Hawaii trip questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/june-hawaii-trip-questions-418899/)

jaredleon Apr 4th, 2004 02:11 PM

June Hawaii trip questions

Message: My wife and I are planning to go to Hawaii in June and are looking for help. We enjoy staying at smaller resots if possible. This will be my first trip to these islands, our honeymoon was in tahiti and bora bora. We would like to play golf and enjoy the wonderful views. We are from New York and are planning to stay for just about one week. Thus i think we will only be able to see 2 islands and relax at the same time. please any suggestions would be very helpful.

thanks,
Jared

salgal Apr 4th, 2004 02:26 PM

We have stayed at Hanalei Bay Resort on Kauai. It is a smaller resort on the north shore. ONly 2 story - has rooms, as well as, condos and studio condos. Nice pool with a great view of Bali Hai. SHort walk down the hill to the beach. Located in Princeville.

hmmm Apr 4th, 2004 02:44 PM

If you want to relax you may wish to confine your stay to one island. Difficult to see two islands, travel between them and relax in one week. And, relaxing seems to run counter to getting out and exploring an island. If you don't want to explore, why visit 2 islands? You might investigate the Diamond Resort in Wailea, Maui. Caters to easterners. Wailea has very good weather, golf courses, hotels and beaches. Likewise, Princeville, Kauai has very good golf, a smaller resort and world class scenery. I've never found "Bali Hai" on any Rand Mcnally map of Kauai, though it appears in a Rodgers and Hammerstein depiction.

mmorano Apr 4th, 2004 03:01 PM

Myself and my family are going back for the third time to Hawaii in August. We love Kauai and Maui. In Maui, if possible, stay at the Fairmont Kea Lani, there are no words to describe this resort, it has everything including one of the most beautiful and calmest beach there is. We have a timeshare in Kauai and absolutely love it. It's called the Kauai Beach Resort at the Beachboy. They have fabulous deals, if you're interested. This is a smaller resort, but absolutely beautiful and immaculate. It's also right on the beach. When in Kauai you must take one of the catamaran tours and snorkel, just breathtaking...Hope this was of some help. Enjoy

jacketwatch Apr 4th, 2004 03:07 PM

For one of the islands look into Manele bay in Lanai. I think you'll like it.

gyppielou Apr 4th, 2004 04:35 PM

One week from New York means for me....stick with one island....with travel time from the east coast you really need to get your island legs and then hang and explore one place, really no reason to try to see more, you'll only miss the essence of the islands....I'd personally go with North Shore Kauai, Waillea or Napili and Hana in Maui, or the Big Island if you want to see the volcano. Decide on one island and you'll find lots of help. A split week from NY just doesn't do justice to any island IMHP

mmbb Apr 5th, 2004 12:08 PM

Definately Kauai only. We stayed on the south coast. Eat at The Beachhouse and Roy's. There is so much exploring to do at Kauai. Go hiking on the north coast. Find a great little spot called Queen's bath, along the lava rocks. Switching islands takes up at least half a day. You need 10 days minimum for 2 islands.