Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

June 30-July 4 - Is this enough time to drive to Acadia NP from Philadelphia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of going to Acadia over the 4th of july long weekend. i'd leave philly around 1pm on friday, june 30th, drive until we have had enough (probably about 6 hours) stay the night somewhere, then drive the rest of the way to Acadia on Saturday morning. Spend Saturday, Sunday and Monday night tent camping in the park, and then get up super early on the 4th and drive home (avoiding 95). is this too much? i would rather not fly because it's a pain to haul all of our camping gear.

april
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:14 AM

freetrip.com shows 577 miles, 9:30 hours. Go for it.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Driving from Northern NJ and taking the "scenic route" we did an overnight in New Hampshire on the way up to Bar Harbor / Acadia and an overnight in Boston on the way home. It's alot of driving to do it all in one day IMO, but not impossible.

You'd basically be spending most of two days on the road and two days in the park. If you could add a day or two more at Acadia it would be better. There's plenty to see and do there!

Since summer is peak time at Acadia, you might want to book your campsite asap!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:28 AM
ltt

sure that is doable as long you don't don't mind long car trips. plan on staying overnight somewhere around portland on the first night. then you can get to acadian mid day on the saturday. i camped at hadley's point campground http://www.hadleyspoint.com/
it was a nice tent camping area and the bus that goes around the island and to bar harbour stops there. there is no water view from the campground but you can drive about 5 minutes down a side road and be at a beach that had nice sunset views. it was one of the cheaper places to camp in the area. i'd go there again.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Whatever freetrip or mapquest identifies as the driving time northbound, figure you will need to add several hours if you are using the I-95 corridor. Fridays during the summer through the metro NY area and into CT are a real bear, and with the 30th being the start of what will be for many a long holiday week-end, I-95 can be expected to be at its worst - even those who try to dodge I-95 and go up and use I-84 to cut across CT now find that stretch from the NY state line to Hartford is nearly as bad...