Chicago hotels, Conrad, Drake, Hilton or Marriott

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Hilton and Marriott points which will allow me a no charge stay at any of the following. Conrad, Drake, Hilton or any Marriott hotel. Which should I pick. This is my first time to Chicago. I want to be close to the excitement of the city. Also what would you say are the must sees. Once again. Thank you fodorites for your help.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 05:56 AM

All of those have hotels on Michigan Ave., in the heart of the city, but it's a big boulevard. What kinds of sites are you planning to visit? What are your interests? If you are into shopping, you will want to be north of Wacker in the Water Tower Place area. If you want to spend several days at the Art Insitutue, history & other musuems I would suggest Hilton on S. Michigan avenue. Also, will you be flying or driving or need access to your car? Parking is horrendously expensive in the city, the best deal is at Grant St. parking lot, on S. Michigan Ave.

Post back with your other plans and we can help you decide.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

We are going to a wedding and staying at the JW Marriott from July 1 to July 4th. We wanted to come in a 3 days earlier or later stay on Michigan Ave. and see Chicago. I am from New York City so I am comfortable in a big see atmosphere. I would like to tour the city, see a musuem that represents Chicago. Walk down the magnificent mile. I have most of the stores in NY so I just want to feel the flavor of the city. What do you suggest?
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

We are going to a wedding and staying at the JW Marriott from July 1 to July 4th. We wanted to come in a 3 days earlier or later stay on Michigan Ave. and see Chicago. I am from New York City so I am comfortable in a big see atmosphere. I would like to tour the city, see a musuem that represents Chicago. Walk down the magnificent mile. I have most of the stores in NY so I just want to feel the flavor of the city. What do you suggest?
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I forgot to ask. Which hotel is nicer?
Original Poster

Original Poster

Old Apr 25th, 2011, 07:36 AM

The Drake and Chicago Hilton are historic hotels built in the 1920s that have grand public areas. Both have rooms with views of the lake (and rooms that overlook the dumpsters).

The Marriott on Michigan and Conrad are almost side-by-side on Michigan Avenue near the south end of the Mag Mile and are newer buildings. The Drake is literally the north end of the Mag Mile.

Since you're staying in The Loop at the JW Marriott, why not eliminate the Hilton since it's also south Loop and try one of the Michigan Ave hotels? The Conrad ranks number 3 on Trip Advisor reviews for what it's worth. You can also check reviews for the Marriott and Drake.

As for museums, you can walk south on Michigan to the Art Institute or take the Number 151 or 147 bus. For the Field Museum (natural history) Shedd Aquarium and Planetarium on the Museum Campus, you can take the Number 10 or 146. The Chicago History Museum is about a mile north of the Mag Mile. Take the Number 151 northbound to North Avenue and walk 2 blocks west. The History Museum is free on Mondays. Beginning June 1, the Art Institute is free the first and second Wed of of each month.

For transit info and a trip planner, check www.transitchicago.com. A transit pass may be a wise investment. A 1-day card is $5.25 and a 3-day card is $14. They're available at the rail stations at both airports and most CVS or Walgreens stores in the city.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 08:58 AM

If you wanted to save your points for another trip, you could use priceline or Hotwire. In cities, I can usually get a 4 star hotel at less than half the lowest rate from any other discounts. You will LOVE Chicago!!! We stayed at the Hyatt, next to the River for $59 in 2006.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:05 AM

I'm saying this as a Chicagoan to a New Yorker: Please don't spend all of your time in the most "touristy" areas of the city (hint: the places where you can be staying free of charge). Definitely not indicative of Chicago, as a whole. I'm sure you would tell a visitor the very same thing about your city. Wouldn't you?

Because Chicago is comprised of many neighborhoods (77 of them), most of which have their own "atmosphere" to them (some are even so large that areas within them have their own "personality"), my suggestion would be to spend at least some of your time in different areas.

You will be staying in either the Loop or the Magnificent Mile areas, based on the above choices you've mentioned. Some of the major attractions closest to the Magnificent Mile are the John Hancock Center (where the Signature Lounge and Signature Room are located on the 96th and 95th floors, respectively), several beaches (including the Oak Street Beach and further to the north, North Avenue Beach) and the Museum of Contemporary Art (actually in Streeterville) and Navy Pier (although for adults I only recommend it for going to the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre, on a lake cruise, to see the Smith Museum of Stained Glass and certain events throughout the course of the year). The Loop is immediate to Millennium Park, the Art Institute of Chicago, Grant Park, the Chicago Architecture Foundation's main location (the ArchiCenter), the Chicago Cultural Center, the Loop Theatre District (although there are a couple of theatre venues on N. Michigan Avenue and at Navy Pier), the Willis Tower (fka Sears Tower) as well as some other sites. Right in between the two areas flows the Chicago River, where you have the architectural river cruises and the River Taxis (in season).

So, with three days at your disposal, here are my suggestions how to spend them (depending on when you are here):

1. Use the free (but you have to reserve in advance) Chicago Greeter Service to explore one of the neighborhoods *away* from the areas where you are staying. Suggestions for that service:

Hyde Park (including the University of Chicago, the Museum of Science and Industry, Jackson Park, Frank Lloyd Wright architecture, etc.) I do not recommend going to the MSI solely based on the fact that you are only here for three days. The Museum is so large that it would take the better part of a day in itself. However, I do recommend the MSI for its exhibits particularly any special exhibits (i.e., Body Worlds and the Cycle of Life), the U505 (a WWII submarine), the Omnimax movies are usually good and a few other exhibits, based on your personal preferences. If you are going to the University of Chicago, consider the Oriental Institute and Smart Museum of Art as well.

The Gold Coast, Old Town and the southeastern portion of the Lincoln Park neighborhood (the first two are very compact, making this possible)

Lincoln Square (including an evening visit to the Old Town School of Folk Music)

Wicker Park/Bucktown

2. The Chicago Architecture Foundation's River Cruise. Also consider one of their walking tours. This actually should be #1, but I wanted to mention all those multiple choices first. If you are coming within the next few weeks' time, try and coincide your river cruise with a scheduled bridge lift (all the bridges along the Chicago River are drawbridges). You could also visit the McCormick Bridgehouse and Chicago River Museum when one of these is occurring: bridgehousemuseum.org/home

3. The Art Institute

4. Millennium Park (and take in a free concert at the Frank Gehry-designed Jay Pritzker Pavilion, if possible, if they have started when you are here). You can have a picnic dinner there while doing so.

5. A visit to Chicago's parks (such as Grant Park, where Buckingham Fountain is located, or Lincoln Park, where the free everyday Lincoln Park Zoo and Lincoln Park Conservatory are located). You can do this either by walking or biking. There are guided bike tours (such as Bobby's Bike Hike with several choices of tours) or you can rent on your own. At the southern end of Lincoln Park on Wednesday and Saturday mornings is the Green City Market, Chicago's premier farmers' market, which also has free cooking demonstrations from some of Chicago's better and best chefs.

6. Speaking of cuisine, I'm sure you've heard that we have what is considered the best restaurant in the Americas and one of the best in the world - in the Lincoln Park neighborhood. That is a culinary adventure of itself, where you will need an entire evening at your disposal. (Another two enterprises of the individuals behind Alinea - Next and Aviary - have just opened to major acclaim, but tickets are next to impossible to obtain.) If you had a longer stay, I'd recommend a visit to Hot Doug's (long, long waits on the busiest days), but not with just three days. However, whatever type of cuisine or budget you have, there are excellent options available.

7. An evening visit to one of the jazz or blues clubs (depends entirely on the act) - or if for the venue, The Green Mill (jazz club) in Uptown. Or a visit to one of the comedy clubs (i.e., Second City) - but again, depends on who is performing when you are here.

8. Evening visit to one of the theatre venues which present Chicago-style entertainment. You probably recognize some of the names from shows which have run and are running on Broadway. As this has just started previews, mentioning only with respect to the premise: The American Theatre Company's currently running R-rated version of the original "Grease" gets back to the origins here in Chicago, for example. (If you wish to read of the differences, there are some current articles in some of the Chicago online publications - Chicago Tribune, Sun-Times, etc.) Also, consider the Steppenwolf Theatre, which is located on N. Halsted, just north of North Avenue, with the Royal George just across the street. The Victory Gardens' house is the historic Biograph Theatre (behind which John Dillinger met his doom in 1934). The Apollo Theatre has an extended run going of "The Million Dollar Quartet" - the original cast went to Broadway some time ago. I'm only mentioning a few of the many deserving Chicago theatrical troupes and venues.

One of Chicago's most original theatrical groups is Redmoon Theatre, which has performed at many special events here, as well as at the White House. They perform not only at their own venue (Redmoon Central) but at various locations throughout the entire city at different times of the year. It just all depends on what is happening when you are here.

9. A visit to historic Wrigley Field. Either for a game or for one of their tours. Red Line 'L' to the Addison station.

10. Just walk (or bike or segway) along the Lakefront Trail, past the recreational harbors, parks and beaches. An easier walk would be to start out at Museum Campus (where the Field Museum of Natural History, Shedd Aquarium and Adler Planetarium are located), past Monroe Harbor, a stop at Buckingham Fountain and over to Millennium Park. Excellent photo ops all along the way.

I could go on with many other suggestions, but you'll have absolutely no problem with filling three days with just these.

Yes to getting a CTA visitors pass. Don't be shy about using the 'L' and bus routes to get around. As I mentioned above, we also have River and Harbor water taxis as alternative means of travel outside of the CTA.

IMHO, if you are here for shopping, it is best to explore areas other than the Magnificent Mile.

Have fun.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:09 AM

It is so easy to get around the city--it's just not a big as NYC, that I think I would just stay at the hotel where you are staying at for the wedding. Checking in and out of hotels wastes a lot of time.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:17 AM

Just as a clarification: When I am speaking in Item #8 with respect to Broadway shows - The shows originated here and then went to Broadway.
Old May 1st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I thinke I need more time to explore this fabulous city. We are comming in July 1st for a 3 day wedding affair so I will be free to explore from Monday July 4th to Wednesday the 6th. Are there any free outdoor concerts for the 4th? Thanks for everyones help.