Reload this Page >

July trip to southern coastal Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Rosie

My father (63) and myself (26) will be taking a short trip from Manchester, NH, by car to Camden, Maine, for 4 days in July. We used to go up there all the time in the 70's and 80's when I was a kid, but I haven't been there in 15 years. We will be stopping at some antique shops we know about, but we'd like suggestions for dining and other attractions along the coast. We don't like the touristy stuff, so the more local the better.
We also enjoy live music and minor league baseball if there are any good stadiums along that route.
Thanks!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:47 AM
linda

Check out the Schooner Bay Motor Inn in
Rockport (almost in Camden) for cheap,
NICE lodging, incl. continental breakfast.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:14 AM
Rosie

Thanks for the suggestion, Linda. It's the kind of place I was looking for. Anyone have any suggestions for a clean, not-to-expensive motel in the Ogunquit area? We will be spending one night there.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:35 AM
zootsi

The Footbridge Motel on Rte 1 is at the northern end of Ogunquit. Nice clean basic motel for about $90 a night. The best part is that Footbridge beach is only a 10 minute walk thru the side streets of town from the motel. There's a very good Thai restaurant right across the highway.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Donna F

You can have a great basic lobster dinner at Waterman's Beach just outside Rockland. Follow the signs to Owls Head Transportation Museum and keep going. The sign is small, watch for it. Two years ago it was just a cook shack with about 6 tables but Mom retired and her children expanded so now it's about 20 tables. The ones in the back are on a covered deck. The oceanfront tables are in the sun. There isn't anything else around, just pretty scenery. The walk up to Owls Head lighthouse isn't difficult and the views are wonderful. Consider taking a picnic lunch there. I thought there were a lot of antique shops between Camden and Ellsport. If you like gardens, Avena Botanicals in Rockport has a lovely herb garden. Visit when the apothecary is open (we missed it). There's a small winery outside Lincolnville. Very good wine and there's a lovely view of the vineyard from the barn window. There's a very pretty area called Bayside off Rt 1 where there's a small community of little Victorian houses around a little park on the ocean. Sorry, forgot which town it was close to, just that it was south of Searsport. Searsport Shores campground has pianola concerts on Sat nights in July and August. Not sure if it's every Sat, check their website. The musician is an authority on player pianos and cuts rolls. Played Gershwin tunes and explained the music. The largest used bookstore I've every seen is in an old chicken house on Rt 1 almost into Ellsworth. Very well organized with a lot of old magazines and sheet music as well. My husband estimated the building was 400 ft long. First floor is all antiques. Have a great trip!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Just Been There

We just returned from our first visit to Maine. We had lobster at the Fox Restaurant @ Nubble Light House.

Here is a web address for them:

http://216.71.193.135/FP1.htm

The lobster was the best we've ever had and the lobster bisque was to die for. I only wish I had that recipe.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:44 PM
joanie

The N'er Beach Motel is about 10 minutes up Route 1 from Ogunquit and has decent-sized, clean basic accomodations at usually the best rates around.

You will be surprised at how much traffic there is up in the Ogunquit area compared to the 80's.

Check to see if the Portland Sea Dogs are in town. The stadium is about a 45 minute drive from Ogunquit area.