July-North Shore or South Shore of Kauai?

Feb 21st, 2011, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

July-North Shore or South Shore of Kauai?

We're planning a trip to Kauai for 10 days at the end of July. At this time of year, it looks like the surf is "large" on the south shore, where we were originally thinking of going, and flat on the north shore. I'm now worried about the surf being too rough that it limits our enjoyment of the ocean. My husband and I are going with our 12-year old twins, and enjoy the beach, boogie boarding, snorkeling, hiking. We also hope to do a zipline, kayaking, and deep sea fishing while there. Should we change our plans and stay on the north shore? If so, where is a good condo property on the north shore?
Feb 21st, 2011, 04:19 PM

The north shore is usually very good for snorkeling in the summer.
Feb 21st, 2011, 05:43 PM

For that long of a stay, you can always split your time between north and south shores. In May 2010, we spent 10 days on Kauai with 7 nights in Princeville (in a condo at Pu'u Poa which I highly recommend) and 3 nights in Poipu at the Hyatt (which I also highly recommend). No reason why you can't also split the time and enjoy both areas (especially since both have so many different things to offer).
Feb 22nd, 2011, 11:13 AM

My late husband and I went deep sea fishing off Kauai a about ten years ago.

If you are not already aware, in Hawaii the fish belongs to the boat, not to you, so if you get any is totally up to the captain. We were sharing a boat with another couple (which helped cut the cost) and my husband caught a wahoo, we got exactly two filets to take back to the hotel and have them cooked. This was in May. The fishing is supposed to be better on the Big Island if you are going after billfish.
Feb 25th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your ideas and input. I knew we wouldn't get to keep the fish...just going for the experience.
Feb 25th, 2011, 03:32 PM

The drive between the north and south shores is not that great. I prefer the north shore because I think it has a more tropical island feel to me. It is greener and more lush. The south shore is similar in my opinion to southern California where I live. But you can't go wrong with either shore.