Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   July in Seattle and Poulsbo (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/july-in-seattle-and-poulsbo-530615/)

CynR May 20th, 2005 08:04 PM

July in Seattle and Poulsbo

I'll be attending a wedding in Poulsbo July 24, and am thinking fly to Seattle the 20th, check out some sights, then head to Poulsbo the 23rd, stay 2 nights there, then back to Seatac and home on the 25th. I haven't been to Seattle in years, and I've never been to Poulsbo.
Questions: if I stay near museums, etc., in downtown Seattle, will I need a car at all? I'd rather not unless necessary. What is the most convenient way to get to Poulsbo from Seattle? Do I need a car in Poulsbo? The bride is a childhood friend of my daughter's, and my daughter will be a bridesmaid, but I'm positive that the bride and her family will be busy enough and do not need the hassle of providing transportation for us.
Has someone been to Poulsbo recently? Any suggestions are most welcome!
Thanks from CynR

Gardyloo May 20th, 2005 08:41 PM

I think you will definitely need a car to get to and around Poulsbo, but you don't necessarily need one downtown. You could rent one for a day or two to get over to Poulsbo and back; pick it up downtown and drop it at the airport when you go home.

The easiest way to get to Poulsbo is via the Bainbridge ferry, then it's around a 20 min. drive from the Winslow terminal. Figure an hour and a quarter all in with ferry loading and unloading time.

CynR May 21st, 2005 09:59 AM

Thanks!
Now, I wonder if you might be kind enough to answer one more question. I keep hearing that the ferry to Poulsbo from Seattle is only 30 minutes or so, and now I'm wondering if it sounds feasible to locate just once - in Poulsbo or nearby - and perhaps visit Seattle via ferry? Is the Seattle ferry pier within walking of transit or tourist attractions? I do remember visiting Pike's Market as well as the underground tour, and I'd like to take my daughter to both of those.
Thank you again, CynR

happytrailstoyou May 21st, 2005 10:15 AM

The Bainbridge ferry crossing is 30 minutes, but you have to allow for the drive to Poulsbo and possibly waiting for a ferry. If I were you I would stay in Seattle for the first few nights, and rent a car when you are ready to go to Poulsbo.

You can easily enjoy Seattle without a car. We have a good transportation system, and bus travel is free in the downtown area.

If you are going directly to the airport from Poulsbo, you may find it more convenient to drive there via the Narrows Bridge and Tacoma (that's what we do when we visit family over there).

christy1 May 21st, 2005 10:16 AM

The ferry pier is right in downtown Seattle, walking distance to everything. But like Gardyloo said, you take the ferry to Bainbridge Island from Seattle and then DRIVE to Poulsbo-the ferry does not go straight to Poulsbo. It is a 30 minute ferry ride, but counting getting there early, and the time it takes to get off, plus the drive to Poulsbo, it'll be over an hour.
There is probably some bus that will shuttle you from the Bainbridge dock to Poulsbo if you don't want to have a car, but that would be a real pain to base yourself in Poulsbo and commute into Seattle for sightseeing, unless you were only going to do this one day.

You know, one nice possibility, if you didn't want to stay in Seattle for some reason, would be to find a nice b and b on Bainbridge Island. You'd be within easy driving distance of the wedding but you could also ferry by foot into Seattle (assuming you left your car on Bainbridge).

magiccarpet May 21st, 2005 05:23 PM

Poulsbo is a nice little place with no much to see or do. You should definitely spend the 20th-23rd in downtown Seattle. You will not need a car. You can probably get to Poulsbo on a bus (check www.transit.metrokc.gov), but you would be much better off with a car.

You can go by ferry or you can drive there via Tacoma and the Narrows Bridge.

suze May 22nd, 2005 07:48 AM

Just a personal preference but I would stay in Seattle, no car needed. Then rent one for 1-2 days you want to go out to Poulsbo (I'd take the ferry one direction and the loop by land back).

coryandcarissa May 22nd, 2005 08:27 AM

Was excited to see Poulsbo on the thread! All of my family (once SoCal residents) have gradually migrated north and settled in the little town of Poulsbo and around. In addition to seeing downtown Poulsbo, its surrounding "Port" towns are also nice to see, such as Port Gamble, Port Townsend, Port etc. Port Townsend has the most beautiful public park I've ever been to (a quick stop into the vistor's center will direct you exactly), and if you happen to be a fan, its also where "Officer and a Gentleman" was filmed. Stop into Port Gamble's general store for some Huckleberry Heaven ice cream... yummy!

I agree, don't need a car in Seattle, but do in Poulsbo. Love that you're going to Pike's and the Underground. (Check out the original Starbuck's across the street from Pike's market, note the difference in original logo from today's version). The Underground is still really great, have done it several times and discover something new every time.

CynR May 22nd, 2005 07:55 PM

Thanks to all of you! We're going to try the Bainbridge Island suggestion; I just spoke with a nice woman from Abode on the Sea, where we'll have an apartment within a walk to the ferry. She suggested renting the car at the airport, but not taking it to Seattle. I'm an avid walker and this sounds swell. My daughter loves shopping, my friend is more into ambling outdoors - I think the Bainbridge idea sounds ideal for us.
Thanks again! CynR

happytrailstoyou May 23rd, 2005 11:23 AM

Good luck. Please give us a report.