Notices

July 4th 2011 - LA

Apr 24th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

July 4th 2011 - LA

Hi,

I am arriving in LA on July 3rd late at night and plan on staying at the Maya Hotel By Hilton in Long Beach for 2 nights before moving on to Beverley Hills.

Its our first time in the USA and we have heard that by staying there, the best place to witness 4th July celebrations is on the beach or near the Queen Mary.

Can anyone recommend any hints or activites that we may enjoy?

Cheers, Angie
Apr 25th, 2011, 07:15 AM

Keep your eye out the window of the airplane as you may see some fireworks on July 3 as well.

Los Angeles 4th of July is mostly about beach or bbq-with-friends, but there are fireworks shows off the water that are enjoyable, usually around 9:15pm. By midnight in Los Angeles everyone is in bed as they have watched the ball drop in NYC at 9pm Los Angeles time after a long day at the beach or in the park.

www.longbeachseafestival.com
Apr 26th, 2011, 03:40 PM

There are festivities on the Queen Mary on July 4 but they're not free. I went many years ago & back then it cost ~US$55. There is dancing on different levels of the ship & you can watch the fireworks over the harbor. I'm assuming things haven't changed but I'm sure there will be information on the QM website as it gets closer. Beaches are crowded so it's best to get to the coast early.
Apr 26th, 2011, 04:00 PM

If you're staying at the Maya you'll be right next to the Queen Mary.

You could take a whale watching cruise, July is usually the month when the big blue whales start to show.

Also possible to go to Catalina from LB.

Of course there is the Aquarium.

Ride the Passport Bus to Belmont Shore or to Naples, walk around the canals and do the Gondola Getaway.

There are two historic sites, Rancho Los Alamitos and Rancho Los Cerritos. They both have gardens, you can go on a guided tour on the weekends 1 to 5pm. Go up to the top of Signal Hill, if you are lucky you can see the Hollywood sign from there. Nice spot to watch sunset.

Search this Thread