Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Joshua Tree or Anza-Borrego park? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/joshua-tree-or-anza-borrego-park-756391/)

CanadaKate Dec 11th, 2008 01:10 PM

Joshua Tree or Anza-Borrego park?

Our family of two adults, an 8 year old and a 10 year old will be visiting relatives in Hermosa Beach in February. We also plan to visit Carlsbad (Lego Land for the kids).

We'd like to spend some time exploring the desert. Would you recommend Joshua Tree or Anza-Borrego if we only have time for one?

Tks!
CanadaKate

blondiegal Dec 11th, 2008 02:02 PM

I can only comment on Joshua Tree, it's a stunning pace to unwind for awhile. I keep going back when in S. California. I've seen great sunrises and desert flowers (spring). Nice hiking. I really enjoyed the drive out from San Diego. We always stop in Palm Springs for supplies and wine and make a nice dinner.

traveller1959 Dec 12th, 2008 04:44 AM

When it comes to scenery, I like Joshua a little more than Anza Borrego.

In terms of fun, however, Anza Borrego is superior: it offers opportunities for 4WD-driving, quad driving etc. Maybe it is the better place when you travel with kids.

Accomodation might also be a factor for your decision. In Anza Borrego, Borrego Springs Resort is a reasonable-priced hotel well suited for families (large pool etc.).

www.borregospringsresort.com

From Anza Borrego to Carlsbad is a scenic drive - landscape changes completely. Julian is a nice town on the way.

CanadaKate Dec 12th, 2008 06:40 AM

Thank you for the two helpful replies ... food for thought.

We were actually in Julian on our last trip to California and were a bit surprised at how much snow there was. We hadn't really thought through the effect of altitude!

LSky Dec 12th, 2008 08:27 AM

I would defiantly go to Joshua Tree over Borrego, it’s well worth the drive from Hermosa Beach.
But traveler1959 makes excellent points about Borrego. I love them both for their natural beauty, especially in the winter.

happytrailstoyou Dec 12th, 2008 08:47 AM

If you head for the desert from Carlsbad, you can easily do both.

The drive to Anza-Borrego is about 90 miles from Carlsbad, and much of it is quite beautiful, especially the decent into the desert.

From there, you can drive another 100 miles or so to Joshua Tree NP passing the intriguing Salton Sea along the way.

HTTY

mlgb Dec 12th, 2008 03:50 PM

If you're willing to rent a vehicle that can drive thru the washes, then Anza Borrego is kind of fun.

Scenerywise I agree that Joshua Tree is better, it's got boulders, Joshua Trees, and a great overlook of the Coachella Valley. It has some nice short walks as well.

nikonboi Dec 13th, 2008 05:24 PM

I have been to both and prefer Joshua Tree to Anza-Borrego. You would def need a 4WD to really enjoy Anza, whereas Joshua Tree is easily accessible. If you like camping, then camp at 'Indian Cove' campground in Joshua Tree or 'Tamarisk Grove' campground in Anza-Borrego.

I have a small writeup with some photos I had taken in Joshua Tree- check them out to get an idea- they are at my blog shniks.blogspot.com and then click on the second writeup on Joshua Tree.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Nikhil

happytrailstoyou Dec 14th, 2008 08:45 AM

Have you decided?

CanadaKate Dec 15th, 2008 12:28 PM

Nikhil,

Your photos are amazing!!

happytrailstoyou,

Nope ... we haven't decided yet and probably won't make the decision until much closer to our actual trip.

I do love mulling over our options.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

CanadaKate

nikonboi Dec 19th, 2008 10:06 AM

Hope you have a great time. It will be a fun trip, I bet. I am off to Death Valley on the 26th to camp and do some photography there- looking forward to it.

Merry X'mas and a happy new year.

Nikhil

adventureseeker Dec 29th, 2008 05:50 PM

We've been to both and definitely will recommend Anza Borrego (AB) to Joshua Tree since:

1) the time of year you are going will have a spectacular wildflower display in AB.

2) AB is much closer to Carlsbad than Joshua Tree.

3) The charming town of Julian on the way to AB is definitely worth it.

4) If you have a 4 wheel vehicle, AB has some outstanding washes and great exploration of the desert that is wonderful for novices to drive.

Have fun!

CanadaKate Jan 10th, 2009 03:06 PM

Thanks, all.

Right now we're thinking we may be able to go to both parks.

A loop:

Hermosa Beach to Yucca Valley or 29 Palms (stay a couple of nights and visit Joshua Tree) ... then drive to Borrego Springs via the Salton Sea (stay a night or two) ... then on to Carlsbad and Legoland .. and back to Hermosa Beach.

Any suggestions for interesting sites, restaurants, geocaches along this route?

Tks!

CanadaKate
(who has noticed that it's -12 celsius in Toronto today and +25 celsius in LA today)