Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Joshua tree and palm springs (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/joshua-tree-and-palm-springs-1661600/)

DianePD Dec 21st, 2018 03:48 PM

Joshua tree and palm springs

We have 4-5 nights in this area. Trying to figure out how many nights in each. Plan to hike, sort hikes and just roam a bit. Like to see out of the way sites. Any suggestions?

tomfuller Dec 21st, 2018 06:42 PM

How are you getting to Palm Springs? Take day trips from your hotel in Palm Springs. What month are you going?

sf7307 Dec 21st, 2018 07:56 PM

There’s really nothing in Joshua Tree but Joshua Tree. It’s great, but I’d say 2-3 days tops and only if you really like to hike.

Songdoc Dec 21st, 2018 08:28 PM

I LOVED Joshua Tree. I did it as a day trip from PS and that was enough.

StantonHyde Dec 21st, 2018 09:51 PM

If you click on my user name you will find my trip report for PS and Joshua Tree. We really enjoyed both places.

sylvia3 Dec 22nd, 2018 06:32 AM

There are free shuttles to Joshua Tree every 2 hours from downtown PS; but it's also nice to do the north loop and the southern entrance on your own (but not sure if South entrance has reopened after the fall floods?).
Don't forget the tram, it's a gorgeous view, and you can do short hikes from the top; there are also hot springs nearby.

DianePD Dec 22nd, 2018 09:36 AM

We will be there Jan 7-12. We are driving from our sons in la.

DianePD Dec 22nd, 2018 09:50 AM

Any hotel recommendations? Would like to keep it around $200 per nite or less. Don’t need fancy just clean. Was originally thinking 2 nites in Joshua tree but now thinking just one. Any thoughts? Thanks.

tomfuller Dec 22nd, 2018 10:41 AM

For the north side of Joshua Tree, check on the Fairfield by Marriot in Twenty Nine Palms. (about $109 + taxes per night). The Fairfield has an indoor pool and hot tub. This is probably less than you will pay in Palm Springs.
Joshua Tree NP is not the only place to see Joshua Trees. There are lots of them in the Mojave National Preserve. I like the Preserve for the sand dunes too.

sylvia3 Dec 22nd, 2018 11:24 AM

My son was in the PS Weston Mission Hills resort for about $110 all in last week; the rate was negotiated by phone.

jamie99 Dec 22nd, 2018 11:52 AM

There is an Embassy Suites in Palm Desert for $169 per night plus tax for those dates, breakfast included. Can't help with Joshua Tree, didn't care for it much even though an uncle lived there.

Clousie Dec 22nd, 2018 02:04 PM

We did this trip two years in a row in Feb/March different ways and would definitely do it like our second trip if we returned.

First year:
Stayed in Palm Desert 3 nights. Drove to Joshua Tree NP second day and liked it so much we drove all the way back the third day going in via the southern entrance. We had originally planned to hike at Indian Springs area, but liked JT too much.

Second year:
Brought another couple along and stayed in Twentynine Palms 3 nights instead . Excellent B and B. Called Roughly Manor when we were there, but now it's back to Campbell House. Not sure if same or different owners. The very original owner was from PA (interesting history) and it looks as though they just plopped a blue stone Bucks County house there. Campbell House | Joshua Tree National Park Hotel - Twentynine Palms California

We did easy, but interesting hikes both years. Being from NJ, we were fascinated by the rock formations and plant life, which perhaps those from the west wouldn't find so interesting. Also interesting to note that the park is divided by two deserts so environment is different in each. Joshua Trees only grow in northern part.

To clarify, when I said we stayed tree nights. The first night we arrived close to dinner time so didn't do any exploring. Explored/hiked day 2 and 3 and left after breakfast the following day, so we had basically 2 whole days in the area. This is usually our MO.

Clousie Dec 22nd, 2018 02:17 PM

Interesting, StantonHyde, I just looked back at your trip report and saw Roughly Manor recommended by another poster. I commented that I wished we had stayed there and did on our second trip.

You mentioned that you wouldn't subject a B&B to your kids--know they're 4 years older now--but the rooms were very private and HUGE, so it probably would have been okay. Just breakfast was a group event, but still individual tables.

mlgb Dec 25th, 2018 10:09 AM

You could stay just in Palm Springs or Palm Desert/Rancho Mirage and see JTNP from there if you don't want to move hotels. Joshua Tree National Park is quite a bit more than just Joshua Trees.

I also liked to visit the Coachella Valley Preserve, I'd recommend calling to check conditions and hours

Home | Thousand Palms Oasis Preserve

Not off the beaten path, but you can hike at the Living Desert Museum, which is worth a visit.

If you are coming in via Palm Springs stop at the Visitor Center

https://www.visitgreaterpalmsprings.com/

Some info on hiking trails

Hiking In Palm Springs | Hiking trails in Palm Springs, the Coachella Valley, Joshua Tree National Park, Idyllwild and surrounding areas

There is a reserve in Morongo Valley between PS and Joshua Tree that has some nice trails. We often drive out from LA just for the day, to go birdwatching on the Marsh Trail and have a sit at the feeder watch area.

https://www.bigmorongo.org/

With 4 people you might look for a timeshare rental such as at Westin Mission Hills or in Palm Desert/Rancho Mirage my favorite is the Marriott Shadow Ridge which isn't too far from the Monterey exit off of the 10. ( I prefer the original Villages section to the newer Enclave).

Be sure to look at all charges including resort fees, parking and wifi. Shadow Ridge doesn't charge any of those. One caveat is that being a timeshare, the check-in time is rather late and checkout rather early.. I'd call to enquire about those if that might be a problem.

5alive Dec 28th, 2018 10:13 PM

So let's hope the government shutdown is over before your trip. But Jan 7 is not that far away, and even if it is reopened officially, I'd suggest you bring your own supplies. Things won't suddenly go back to normal. From the LA Times:

"In the shop, De Luca said, he and colleagues are emphasizing leave-no-trace practices and recommending WAG bags — “a bag that you go to the bathroom in [and carry out] for sensitive areas where there are no bathrooms."

"Instead of holding on to their $30, she suggests park visitors donate to an accredited charity such as Friends of Joshua Tree, which might be able to take over responsibilities that the National Park Service currently can’t."
​​​
https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr...226-story.html

mlgb Dec 29th, 2018 09:11 AM

Gosh I read that article in the Times the other day. I wouldn't expect things to settle but still worth a drive through the park especially if you can drive up to Keys View.

Just go to the restroom before you leave civilization!

Vttraveler Dec 29th, 2018 10:36 AM

Good friends stayed at this b and b house near Joshua Tree and really recommend it. It is heavily booked but you might find space if there is a cancellation.
https://www.vrbo.com/472107

My husband and I visited Joshua Tree last spring in a rented camper van. We stayed two nights, doing most of our exploring in the day in between, with a few hours on the day we left. I think you'd have enough time if you got there fairly early on day #1, spent the night and spent much of a second day there.

mlgb Dec 29th, 2018 11:15 AM

"this property has no available dates"

5alive Dec 29th, 2018 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by mlgb (Post 16846635)
Gosh I read that article in the Times the other day. I wouldn't expect things to settle but still worth a drive through the park especially if you can drive up to Keys View.

Just go to the restroom before you leave civilization!

Yes, exactly.

boots08 Jan 1st, 2019 01:25 PM

Your timing isn't ideal given the gov't shutdown and the park suffering as a result, but it's still worth a visit.

Both the Coachella Valley Preserve and the Living Desert Zoos are worthwhile visits - the first for the peaceful, leisurely walk through the oasis (where you'll be right on top of the San Andreas fault), the latter for an interesting display of flora and fauna.

Boots