Joshua Tree 29 Palms hotels?

Nov 2nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Joshua Tree 29 Palms hotels?

We are headed to Joshua Tree for new years. Suggestions - or warnings - for Twentynine Palms hotels?

We are looking for a nice dinner and quiet evening before hiking the next day. It looks like some of the hotels are popular with the local Marine base. I can certainly understand they may want to party New Year's Eve - but we would like to skip "sharing" their fun so that we can enjoy hiking New Year's day. Any suggestions on places to choose - or avoid? A good place for dinner? Thanks!
Nov 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM

I know there's a Holiday Inn Express in 29 Palms, which is probably okay. However I don't think there are any guarantees for New Years Eve.

The other option might be to stay in the Coachella Valley, i.e, Palm Springs.
Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. We're not expecting a "guarantee" - but we're hoping for some suggestions - or info re places that are likely to be big party spots.
Nov 2nd, 2008, 02:50 PM

There are some hotels in the town of Yucca Valley, about 6 miles from the entrance to JTNP. I think Palm Springs is too far but may be "nicer".
Nov 2nd, 2008, 03:16 PM

They don't call it "Yucky Valley" for nothing. I don't know of anything nicer there.
Nov 2nd, 2008, 08:55 PM

29 Palms for NYE - the mind certainly boggles.

I'd guess the HI Express or Best Western would probably be your best bets in Twentynine Palms.
Nov 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM

We stayed at the 29 Palms Inn and had a great time. The rooms are adobe cottages or cabins and most have private terraces. There's a nice restaurant on site with lots of produce grown in the Inn's vegetable plot. Certainly felt like a quiet and laid-back place. Only downside was no ac (we were there in early September), there were swamp coolers but they were a bit noisy - shouldn't be too much of a problem in December!

Hope you have a great trip, Joshua Tree is a great place, wish we could go for New Years.
Nov 17th, 2008, 02:40 PM

There is one place right in 29 Palms which is really exceptional, Roughley Manor. Innkeepers, breakfast,rooms, grounds, everything is fabulous. Real oasis in a desert. Once you see palm trees, resident owls, grounds, your cabin or a room (in stable or a main stone house) you have to be pleased. Don't worry, you don't have to sleep with horses. There is lots of history connected to this place. Breakfasts are gourmet staring at 8 but, because we wanted to be early on a trail, we asked for a little earlier breakfast and Gary, the innkeeper, was very understanding. I don't know whether every room but at least some of them have a kitchen nook with microwave, small refrigerator, dishes, dining table with chairs. Check their website, then read reviews on Trip advisor. I think there are hundred reviews, including mine, some pictures. I don't think there is even one negative comment. We stayed there last March when wildflowers were blooming everywhere and returning again in March 2009. There is swimming pool too. If you decide to stay there, go outside at night and be surprised how quiet is this place. Check out stars. There are not many places around with this clear sky and so many stars.

This would be an ideal place to spend New Year's Eve

Btw, we stayed in HIE and we really liked it, had a great room which included a full kitchen, comfortable bed, great staff but it became a little too expensive.

I don't know about places to eat but if you ask innkeepers of Roghley Manor I am certain they can help you.
Nov 17th, 2008, 03:22 PM

210, glad the wildflowers were still there for you!

Thanks for posting about the Roughley Manor, I did not know about it.
Nov 18th, 2008, 06:13 AM

mlgb, now I remember your post and gorgeous pictures of wildflowers you took in Joshua Tree NP. If you ever go that way try to spend at least one night in Roughley Manor and I bet you'll want to return. We are there in March again. Somehow can't stop going back to JTNP and DVNP. I wanted to add this time Anza Borrego SP but have a hard time to find a decent accommodation.
Nov 18th, 2008, 07:53 AM

If you have a healthy budget, the old Casa del Zorro is supposed to be re-opening this month as posh Borrego Ranch Resort. Around Borrego Springs, there are also a few B&B's and private condo rentals. Check Tripadvisor under "Rams Hill" for the latter.
Nov 18th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Casa del Zorro is more than I want to pay. We are hikers. I'll look up Rams Hill