Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   JoeTro's Atlanta trip report (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/joetros-atlanta-trip-report-919329/)

JoeTro Jan 12th, 2012 04:04 PM

JoeTro's Atlanta trip report

Thanks again for all of the Atlanta help. Here's my trip report.

Flew in today at about 2:30 and took Marta all the way to Buckhead. I was really impressed with the ease of Marta and accessability (i.e. elevators and wider lanes for luggage, etc.). I'm staying at the Courtyard Buckhead which is about a block away from the station and is so far very nice. Good decor, cute lobby with water and a fireplace.

I had originally planned to go to the High Museum, but I'm going to save that for Saturday, as I wanted to have an earlier night. I took Marta to Midtown and walked over to and through a bit of Piedmont Park. Definitely nice, and I could imagine it being amazing if there were leaves on the trees. I then stopped and had a drink at Blake's on the Park to check out the gay scene. Pretty dead with a not-my-type server (I'm spoiled in WeHo), but it was also just before 5. I then saw a Post leasing office, so I took a look at the Post Parkside apartment. The manager, Susan, was really amazing, and I enjoyed the time that she spent with me. I could get a studio or a one-bedroom between $850 and $1150 depending on a number of factors, and I was able to see a model studio. I wasn't blown away by the amenities or the fixtures, but I'm also not really that fussy. The location is obviously great, although I don't necessarily need to be on the park. I'm going to check out Post Stratford in Buckhead tomorrow and will report back. I walked down Peachtree to get a look at some of the condos (including the outside of 1010 Midtown, which looks amazing). I'm wondering if perhaps renting a small condo could also be do-able for me. I then had a quick but nice dinner at ParQ (formerly Quattro) of a good pear and walnut salad and some sweet potato chips, all for $15 including tax and tip.

It's super windy here!

Tomorrow is my interview at GSU, so I'll probably try to wander a little Downtown and will definitely explore the Phipps Plaza and mall area. I'm planning to eat at Tavern at Phipps tomorrow.

sf7307 Jan 12th, 2012 07:23 PM

Good luck with your interview!

JoeTro Jan 13th, 2012 04:46 PM

Today was a series of big frustrations.

Got ready to head out for my interview. Sadly my hotel had already run out of WSJ's, which is a big deal to me. Got lost after getting off the metro stop and arrived just in time, but I think I got myself off on the wrong foot. The interview I thought went well, but I then got some frustrating feedback at the end. It's a shame, because I really do like Atlanta, but I think I'll have to rank this site on the lower end.

Made it back to my hotel, got changed, and then visited the Post Stratford apartment. About the same is yesterday, but maybe a bit less expensive. Saw a couple of other nice condo buildings en route. I visited the Phipps Place mall and dined at Tavern at Phipps. I had a nice glass of Reisling and just a so-so crab cake sandwich with good fries for $25 including tip. Did a bit of shopping at Belk, explored the mall and PeachTree Center a bit more, and I'm now just relaxing in the hotel. Tomorrow will be High Gallery of Art!

suewoo Jan 14th, 2012 03:32 PM

Oh look! Somebody wants to hack my computer. Good luck with all that, jokomoko. Creep.

JoeTro Jan 14th, 2012 05:42 PM

Now in Chicago. I enjoyed my last day today in ATL. Got a late start but took the Marta to the High Museum. Got a bit lost finding it. Spent about 1.5 hours in the museum and nearby cafe. I was not impressed at all with the European art, but the American art on the 3rd floor really blew me away. So many artists inspired by French academics, landscape painting, impressionism, etc., many artists I had not heard from. I definitely had a "peak" experience there! Ate at the attached cafe which was just so-so. Walked out around the area and discovered that 1280 or whatever it's called. I think I had meant to eat there and just forgot. Menu looked great for really no more than the cafe. Boo.

I walked around from Arts Center to North Avenue stop, and I really enjoyed getting to see more of Midtown. So many shops, bars, high-rises, condos, etc. Definitely a good action hub for me, I'd say. Took metro back to Buckhead to collect luggage and then Marta back to airport. Everything was so smooth, and I really adored the Marta system (especially in comparison to the smelly CTA buses/trains I'm already encountering. OTOH Marta fares are surprisingly a bit higher, so maybe that's why). Had a two hour wait at Hartsfield, found a plug, and got to work. Really bummed at the lack of free wi-fi ... get that straight, please, Atlanta!

jent103 Jan 16th, 2012 11:55 AM

Sorry about the interview feedback, but I enjoyed your report! Looking forward to more as you go to all your interviews.