JFK to New Brunswick

Search

JFK to New Brunswick

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JFK to New Brunswick

I'm wondering what is the cheapest way to get from JFK to New Brunswick (I'm coming from Australia so I don't have an option about the airport, I'm afraid).

I'm going to a conference at Rutgers University and am staying nearby. Would a shuttle be a reasonably priced option to get there, or is there a better public transport solution? I'm arriving early evening 6-7 pm, if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance!!
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 02:39 AM
J62

Are you sure you don't have a choice of airports. Newark airport is a major airport and it's very close to New Brunswick, NJ.

I don't believe Qantas flies non-stop to JFK, so you'd need to connect through somewhere else in the US.

If I remember correctly there is a DIRECT flight Sydney to JFK, but it has a stopover in LA. You could then fly AA from LA to Newark (EWR).

What you save in airfare by flying to JFK might very well be lost in $$ and hassle of getting from JFK to New Brunswick at evening rush hour.

You can get a train from Newark Airport to New Brunswick in about 45min.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 05:59 AM

Unfortunately, the least expensive one-stop connection into EWR from SYD is about $700 more expensive for the round-trip than a connection into JFK.

If you must fly into JFK, you can take the in-airport monorail, called the AirTrain, to either the Jamaica Station of the Long Island Railroad or to the NYC Subway, both relatively nearby, and both offering frequent service. Either will take you to New York Penn Station in Manhattan, LIRR faster but a little more expensive, but not prohibitively so. Here's a link for details: http://bit.ly/dLHJiR

From NY Penn, you can take New Jersey Transit to New Brunswick, about a 55-minute ride costing $13 one way. Link: http://bit.ly/dSv3Wr (just fill in NY Penn and New Brunswick and your estimated time-of-day).
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 06:26 AM

bspielman has given you the best way for JFK-new Brunswick via public transportation. The trip from JFK to NY Penn Station using the LIRR (Long Island Railroad) might take 30-50 minutes, depending on your connections and cost around $10 for AirTrain plus LIRR train. Then you must connect at NY Penn to the NJ Transit train, the trip itself 55 minutes without the connection/waiting time for the next train. Therefore, the entire trip from JFK to New Brunswick might take 2-3 hours. And cost $20-$25. You might check for private shuttle services since this involves a good bit of getting on and off trains and climbing stairs with luggage.

The New Brunswick train station is quite close to the main College Avenue campus of Rutgers, walkable from the station depending on your luggage. For one of the other campuses in New Brunswick, you will need a taxi from the station or campus shuttle.

You can use maps.google.com to plot this route, using "JFK Airport, Queens, New York, NY" as your starting point, "Rutgers University - College Ave Campus, George Street, New Brunswick, NJ" as your ending point, and choosing the public transport option. You can even pick the date and time of day. This utility estimates a few different routes at 2-2.5 hours.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 06:27 AM

You requested the cheapest way, not necesarily the quickest.
Using public transportation you have these options.
Getting from JFK to New Brunswick requires the use of three different transits.
JFK Airtrain, which is a people mover transit from your terminal building to Jamaica station. There are three loops operating, you want the one marked "Jamaica"
This will take you in 15 minutes to the Jamaica transit station. The fare is $ 5.00, fare paid thru vending machine at exit.
http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-to-from.html
From here you need to get to Penn Station in Manhattan. You have two choices
1.The New York Transit Subway E train fare $ 2.50, a fare card is used and can be bought with te airtrain fare above from the vending machine. This trip can take 60 minutes and trains run every 10- 15 minutes.
2. My prefered choice would be to take the Long Island RR commuter train at Jamaica which goes directly to NY Penn Station. Fare is $ 8.75 (peak) or $ 6.75 (of peak) Buy fare from vending machine before boarding at Jamaica or with airlink.
TRains run every 15-30 minutes and takes about 25 minutes.
Finally, whichever way you get to Penn Station, you take the New Jersey Transit commuter Trenton line train which stops at New Brunswick. Trains run every 15-60 minutes depending on time of day and fare is $ 13.00, also bought from vending machine at Penn Station. Trip takes about 45 minutes.
http://www.njtransit.com
So that is the cheapest way.
Now there is also a scheduled van shuttle service operated by State Shuttle that goes directly to Rutgers for around $ 50 one way. see:http://stateshuttle.com/index.html
Your choice.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help. I was planning to have a week in Manhattan after the conference. On the basis of your advice I think I will have two days in Manhattan before I go to Rutgers and then 5 days after. That way I won't need to add 2-3 hours more travelling time to my 21 hour flight!