Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   JFK to Midtown Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/jfk-to-midtown-hotel-420796/)

Myer Aug 28th, 2008 04:30 AM

JFK to Midtown Hotel

We're an active couple in our early mid-sixties (63 & 64) arriving at JFK just after noon on a Friday.

I'm trying to evaluate the various options to a mid-town hotel.

We'll be travelling with a suitcase each and a carry-on.

I don't mind using an escallator/ elevator but would prefer avoiding stairs (other than one or two at an entrance/exit).

Last year we took a train at Penn Station to Philadelphia with no trouble and will take one to Boston this year.

I'm trying to categorize the various options.

In no particular order:
a) least expensive
b) most convenient
c) fastest
d) other

Some of the options I've read about:
1) taxi
2) car service
3) shuttle (Supershuttle, etc)
4) airtrain/LIRR/taxi

Thanks in advance for comments.

doug_stallings Aug 28th, 2008 04:50 AM

You left out a crucial piece of information: midtown east or west. That makes a big difference in whether or how much you have to travel once in Manhattan.

But you have basically already answered your own questions. If you don't want to use stairs, then you take a taxi. Period. Cost is $60 or $65 including tip (depending on how generous you are with the tip).

Fastest at that time of day is also the cheapest: Airtrain. $10 each. But you have to take stairs, and if you have a big suitcase, then I don't think that's a viable option. And you still have to get to your hotel from Penn Station, so that adds another $10 or more depending on where you are staying.

There are buses(about $15 each), but they also require a further train or taxi trip once you get into the city. You can take SuperShuttle for about the same price, but it's a horrible service in New York City and I would try to dissuade you in the strongest terms.

BudgetQueen Aug 28th, 2008 05:03 AM

Airtrain, is $5 per person, one way.
Then you have the Subway or LIRR costs.

I use this every trip, with the subway- A train. But, it does involve stairs and you must pack light.

Myer Aug 28th, 2008 05:46 AM

Thanks.

We're staying at the Hilton 6th & 53rd.

Really like to proximity to all sights.

I think I'm leaning to taxi then.

j_999_9 Aug 28th, 2008 06:49 AM

I'd go with the taxi. This could be one of those situation where you end up making yourself miserable over the difference of about $35. Forego the two "I love NY" T-shirts and take a cab.

nytraveler Aug 28th, 2008 09:51 AM

The Air Train does not have stairs. But both the subway (2 sets of stairs) and the LIRR at Penn Station do have stairs (again 2 sets), which I wouldn't attempt with a suitcase plus a carry-on.

You can get a bus to Grand Central or Penn Sta (I think $18 each) and then either subway (more stairs) or cab - don;t know your hotel location - so assume $10 - for a total of $46.

You can get cab (fixed fee of $45 plus toll and tip for about $60) or car service for the same. I find cab more convenient - no searching for the right car/guy - or dragging your luggage out to the parking lot.

Proenza_Preschooler Aug 28th, 2008 11:00 AM

I am a big fan of Air Train and LIRR to/from JFK, but if I was 65 and had luggage I would take a taxi, guv. You are only going to save about $40 by taking AT/LIRR instead of taxi.

Thin

doug_stallings Aug 29th, 2008 05:04 AM

While the Airtrain itself technically does not have stairs, there is a long flight to get down to the LIRR platform in Jamaica.

jt7dreamz Aug 29th, 2008 05:10 AM

suitcase and carryon each answer the question for me. take a taxi. the traffic won't be that outrageous- you should be in your hotel (assuming there isnt a mets game) 45 min after you get in the taxi.

i usually recommend airtran to everyone but not with suitcases... its quite a bit of walking although there are no stairs if you take LIRR (in fact I'd argue that you could do absolutely no stairs but you might walk even further then!!!).

taxi taxi taxi

Myer Sep 1st, 2008 04:32 PM

Taxi it is.

Thanks.

rkkwan Sep 1st, 2008 06:52 PM

Hopefully this is not too late.

I would take the AirTrain ($5) to Jamaica and then switch to the "E" train ($2, or less if you use the Metrocard). There are escalators to at Jamaica from AirTrain to the subway, and the E train has a stop at 53rd and 7th, which is just half a block from the Hilton (which is half a block long from 6th Ave towards the 7th).

It is cheap, fairly fast, and not that much walking.