Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   JFK to LaGuardia- how much time? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/jfk-to-laguardia-how-much-time-1033976/)

AllenB Jan 8th, 2015 04:01 PM

JFK to LaGuardia- how much time?

In June, I'm arriving at JFK from Paris at 3;30 p.m. My flight from LaGuardia to Cincinnati is 5 1/2 hours later. Is that enough time for baggage claim, customs, rush hour etc??

Thanks

nytraveler Jan 8th, 2015 05:06 PM

Yes, unless your flight is VERY late or they lose your luggage. I would hop a cab from JFK to LGA but there is a shuttle bus - I think every 30 minutes - if you want.

doug_stallings Jan 9th, 2015 05:25 AM

Yes, that should be enough time unless you encounter delays at the airport, but I wouldn't count on being out of JFK until 5pm. Definitely take a taxi, though. It's usually about 20 minutes between airports, but it can be as much as 45 in a really busy day. (Weekend days can be busier for the trip between airports than weekdays, in my experience.)

ElendilPickle Jan 20th, 2015 01:06 PM

We're looking at doing something similar, but landing at LGA just before 5:00 p.m. and taking a flight out of JFK at 10:20 p.m.

I see the shuttle buses charge $10-15 for a one-way trip. About how much is a taxi? We won't have checked luggage, just carry-ons, so we don't have to worry about baggage claim.

Lee Ann

nytraveler Jan 20th, 2015 03:47 PM

I would still grab a cab rther than waiting for a shuttle - and probably won;t cost much more for 2 people.

Flights into LGA tend to be late - and the later in the day the greater the chance of delays.

Esp if the flight out of JFK is international - for which most airlines want you to check in 3 hour in advance.

(I have seen security lines that are hundreds of people long and people (who, granted did arrive at JFK very late - like 45 minutes to flight time) begging to be pushed to the front to get a chance of making their flight - to have staff tell them since they arrived so late nothing could be done for them.

doug_stallings Jan 20th, 2015 06:24 PM

I would be surprised if a taxi cost more than $30 even with tip. There are no tolls between the airports.

You should have plenty of time without checked luggage even if you have to check in for an international flight.

ElendilPickle Jan 21st, 2015 12:20 PM

Thanks, nytraveler and Doug.

We jumped on the Emirates $800 JFK to Milan deal, and we want to use Southwest points to fly to New York; basically, our choices are LGA or EWR. I'm guessing LGA would be the better choice?

Lee Ann

doug_stallings Jan 21st, 2015 01:05 PM

You've absolutely made the correct choice on airports. It's both difficult and expensive to get from EWR to JFK, though there is a direct bus that will do the transfer, just as there is from LGA. But the taxi option from EWR to JFK is much much more expensive (probably well over $100).