Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > JFK Arrival at 1 am - car service or taxi to Midtown West?

JFK Arrival at 1 am - car service or taxi to Midtown West?

Aug 30th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

JFK Arrival at 1 am - car service or taxi to Midtown West?

So we're landing at JFK at 1 am this weekend and need to get to our hotel in Midtown West. Do we take a taxi that late at night or arrange for a car service? Any opinions? Also, our flight back is in the middle of the day on Labor Day, when it definitely will be raining - how will traffic be? Taxi or car service then? Thanks.
Aug 30th, 2006, 03:55 PM

There should be cabs at 1:00 a.m. If cosat isn't an issue and you want certainty, then get the car service.

In terms of leaving, I'd suggest you ask at the hotel. They'll have a better sense of how tough it is to grab a cab midday at their location.
Aug 30th, 2006, 04:57 PM

What is your flight's on time record - and will you be going through immigration? If so - I might arrange for a car service. There should be cabs there - but if it's 2 am you might have a wait.

Labor Day the city should be fairly empty and getting a cab not a problem. But do ask the hotel what time to leave (they'll know if there are any major traffic issues - like the US open - on the way to the airport - although most traffic should be going in the other direction.) (And they have been trying to play through the rain - so either the driver should take another route or you need to leave time for possible blockages.)
Aug 30th, 2006, 07:38 PM

No problem. NYC is the city that never sleeps. (This wouldn't be a problem in Seattle either. Topeka--probably.)
Aug 31st, 2006, 04:30 AM

I would just take a cab when you arrive at JFK. If there should happen to be none, go back into the terminal and call either Carmel or Tel Aviv car services. They should have courtesy phones near the baggage claim area.

I'd guess traffic will be light on Labor Day going out of the city. Coming in may be another story. But you might want to order a car service or limo anyway to get a flat rate. The fare FROM JFK into Manhattan is fixed ($45 plus tip and toll if any) but going from the city TO JFK is on the meter. It could be less than $45 or more depending on traffic.

carmellimo.com
telavivlimo.com

Search this Thread