Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Jetset's Big Island/Oahu trip report (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/jetsets-big-island-oahu-trip-report-641425/)

jetset1 Aug 23rd, 2006 01:56 PM

Jetset's Big Island/Oahu trip report

Aloha friends~ 8-)

I am back from Hawaii and trying to readapt to normal life as a domestic goddess again, and I am happy to share that I spent time with two wonderful Fodorites, aka matnikstym and BayouGal((L)).

Leaving from Anchorage,I had Fed-exed my one suitcase ahead, which made the trip much less of a headache.((i))(I had sent hiking boots for the volcano park, and with my various spackle and hair appliances, made the whole thing much less of a trauma).Former shlepper confession.>)
Flew into Hilo after a night flight and thanks to a friend who insisted wine testing would assist my slumber, and I did sleep on the plane, miracle number two.
BayouGal's flight arrived nearly an hour later than mine, and we recognized each other from photos we had exchanged. She looks very similar to Christie Brinkley and at 5'7, so my first thought was I wish I had known her in college(dating pool leftovers,lol).
We took a taxi to the Hawaii Naniloa resort on Hilo Bay. It's not brand new, but the price was right(last minute trip and discount Kamaiiana price thanks to matnikstym).. a short walk away is the Queen Liliokalani Gardens(Japanese), then along the bayfront where we window shopped.
I had been to the tsunami museum on a prior visit four years ago, but BayouGal was very interested in seeing it and I had a personal earthquake relationship to share (here in Alaska during the '64 quake).
Matnikstym, the extreme frogger, met us at Uncle Billy's for dinner(he has a Mercury Mariner with white leather seats), and is an avid Africa traveler, which endeared me to him despite his somewhat shocking joke repertoire.
Tall and reminding me of Prince Charles in his earlier life without C., he is a fascinating and humorous person and quite a gentleman to boot!((y))
So over mai tais, hula dancers and Hawaiian music, we toasted our week to come.
The next morning, we were picked up by "mat" and had a nice breakfast at Ken's house of Pancakes, went to see the Rainbow Falls and boiling pots in Hilo, drove up to Akaka Falls, and had a wonderful hike to see the falls and get pictures taken. I love meeting other travelers and doing the universal "would you mind taking a picture of our group" thing.. everyone is so happy to oblige!
From there, we drove up to Umauma Falls and the world botanical gardens, returned and had lunch at Blane's drive-in(if you want the loco moco, you're in luck).
We went to Hilo Hattie's for shopping, then to a beach at Keaukana, and though the beaches are nowhere as nice as the Waikoloa side, this one was nice. We dined at Harrington's in Hilo(the food is good but a bit overpriced imho, although I am not buying King Crab in restaurants in my state either,lol.)

*To be continued*

sistahlou Aug 23rd, 2006 02:10 PM

what fun! mo' now!

starrsville Aug 23rd, 2006 02:12 PM

Oooohhhhhhhh!!!!!! This is gonna be FUN!

Jetset, a Hawaiian domestic goddess
BayouGal, a Christie Brinkley, and
Mat, straight from central casting African safari

food, waterfalls, beaches, jokes, adventures

Yep! the fun is about to unfold! I can't wait!!!

Kal Aug 23rd, 2006 02:14 PM

Mo' paragraphs, plaaaaaleeez. @-)8-}

And a pic of Christie!!!:-d

Ain't it good to ship ahead?((Y))

FainaAgain Aug 23rd, 2006 02:14 PM

Who is 57?

Kal Aug 23rd, 2006 02:23 PM

I thought you were?

P_M Aug 23rd, 2006 02:34 PM

can't wait for more....

FainaAgain Aug 23rd, 2006 02:36 PM

Naw, I'm 20+, ask Neopolitan!

crefloors Aug 23rd, 2006 02:38 PM

Oh Fiana...LOL!!!! This is a good start, yup a good start.

iceeu2 Aug 23rd, 2006 02:47 PM

jetset...get on with this pleeeeze and when do you post the pics?

Is BayouGal still recovering or is she gonna give us some info also.

Did you and BG and Mat all meet on Fodor's?

This is exciting! More more more more!

Kal Aug 23rd, 2006 02:56 PM

((&)) years? O:)

Come on jetsy!

JAGIRL Aug 23rd, 2006 03:03 PM

Bayougal's 5 feet 7 inches Faina. No body's 57.:))

FainaAgain Aug 23rd, 2006 03:10 PM

I knew somebody will come in to spoil the fun :))

JAGIRL Aug 23rd, 2006 03:28 PM

oh...you were joking. :">
Well then...as you were people..as you were. :D

Welcome back jetset & bayougal!

iamq Aug 23rd, 2006 04:04 PM

You primed the pump, now get on with it! Soon? ;;)

-Bill

Kal Aug 23rd, 2006 04:12 PM

Mrs Kal is 5 ft nuthin'. :'(

Come on, jetsy....It's not like there is a lotta stuff to do in Alaska!

<i>&quot;Heh heh heh...hey Beavis...Billaaaay said she primed his pump..heh heh heh&quot;.</i>

JAGIRL Aug 23rd, 2006 04:24 PM

Guys...Maybe Mrs. Jetset has some catching up to do with Mr. Jetset?

starrsville Aug 23rd, 2006 04:32 PM

Over posting on Fodorville?!?!?!

What a concept!

emd Aug 23rd, 2006 04:33 PM

This might be the 1st trip report where two fodorites met up to travel together in their 1st meeting (instead of just meeting to size each other up and get to know each other first). I find it fascinating from that perspective.

jetset1, I saw a coffee mug in a store yesterday that had &quot;jetset&quot; on it and immediately thought of you.

I am meeting up w/two fodorites on my trip to NYC starting tomorrow. Have met a few others and have toyed w/idea of meeting up on a trip but have never done so yet....

emd Aug 23rd, 2006 04:34 PM

I mean I have toyed w/idea of traveling w/another fodorite, but haven't done that yet. I've met up a some on trips...