Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Jersey shore-with 2 years old-? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/jersey-shore-with-2-years-old-233158/)

Orsi Jun 21st, 2002 07:21 AM

Jersey shore-with 2 years old-?

Hi,<BR><BR>we are looking for a nice & clean & quite beach on the Jersey shore for our daughter.She dosen't likes big waves but she loves the water and the sand so much!!(and she likes kids up to 10 years of age-:))Also it would be nice if you could recommend some other possibilitys for kids(like zoo or parks or playgraund etc)<BR>Thanks for help,<BR>Orsi

Sarah Jun 21st, 2002 07:30 AM

Ocean City in the fifties with a boardwalk at the other end of the island. There is bird reserve in one of the coastal towns to the north. There is also the Brigantine Wildlife preserve inland (not in Brigantine).

xxx Jun 21st, 2002 07:31 AM

Actually I think the preserve is too the south in sea isle city, perhaps.

zootsi Jun 21st, 2002 08:15 AM

I would recommend an area that has both access to ocean and bay (no waves) beaches. Long Beach Island has some very nice beaches, both ocean and bay, and a small kiddie rides area. Seaside Park also has beaches on both sides, and it's near all the rides and games at Seaside Heights. I believe there is a small petting zoo/animal shelter in Lacey Township (about 40 minutes from either Seadside or Long Beach Island) called the Popcorn Zoo.

yyy Jun 21st, 2002 08:34 AM

Just an FYI seaside heights attracts inner city youth and I don't think it is all that safe or family oriented. Sure there are rides but you are more likely to find kids with weapons here

yyy Jun 21st, 2002 08:35 AM

and if you are looking to stay at a bay remember the breezes will be different and you might find it buggy

Lori Jun 21st, 2002 08:43 AM

Yes very buggy. Those 'green heads" are nasty!

zootsi Jun 21st, 2002 11:27 AM

True, Seaside Heights is more of a city teen hangout (it was my haunt many many years ago!), but the southern end of Seaside Park is more family oriented. Long Beach Island is even tamer, with more of a surfer crowd, and families from the Philadelphia suburbs. As for green heads, they can be found on nearly any beach on the east coast, a lot depends on the wind direction.

xxx Jun 21st, 2002 12:28 PM

I would go with Ocean City. Although it would be an Ocean beach, don't know where the bay access is there. As you may know, it is "dry" so doesn't attract as many teens and rowdies. You can drive down to the Cape May zoo from there. It is a nice free zoo, clean, small and with a nice playground and picnic area.

Stephanie P. Jun 21st, 2002 01:10 PM

Orsi:<BR><BR>If you decide on Ocean City, NJ, go to the Chatterbox restaurant, outrageously good breakfast menu.

Orsi Jun 21st, 2002 04:06 PM

Thank you for all the responses.Ocean City is the winner for me:))<BR>Orsi