Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Jersey Gardens (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/jersey-gardens-257527/)

ahh Sep 12th, 2002 06:06 PM

Jersey Gardens

I've seen some great reviews about this "outlet mall" but I need some additional info. <BR><BR>1. What is the fare for the #111 bus from Manhattan (Midtown) to Jersey Gardens? (I've seen the bus schedule but can't seem to find the fare!)<BR>2.How do Jersey Gardens prices compare to Woodbridge Centre prices?<BR><BR>And finally .....<BR><BR>3.How do the pre-Christmas and New Year's Day sales prices in Jersey Gardens & Woodbridge Centre compare to Manhattan sale prices? i.e. will the same stores carry similar prices in both places or are prices at this time less in Jersey?<BR><BR>Thanks for the info.<BR>

nj Sep 12th, 2002 06:41 PM

Since NJ has no tax on clothes, no matter how many dollars worth you buy-I think that would be a savings right there.<BR>

Judy Sep 12th, 2002 07:32 PM

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the sales tax on nonclothing items is only 3% instead of the regular 6%. <BR><BR>The location in Elizabeth is part of an "enterprise zone" that was encouraged to be developed, (along with the IKEA location) so they were allowed to give a tax break in order to encourage business. I know this was the case when it first opened, but I'm not sure if it was a permanent plan, or whether its expired.

Janie Sep 13th, 2002 07:43 AM

Do you mean "Woodbridge Center" or Woodbury Commons (the outlet center about 50 miles north of nYC)??<BR><BR>Have been to both Jersey Gardens and Woodbury Common recently, so here goes:<BR><BR>Woodbury Common specializes in designer outlets, the names you don't see in many other places. So, If you're thinking Kate Spade bags, Tod, Bally, Ferragamo shoes, Gucci, La Perla, etc etc, there's no choice but Woodbury Common. I don't find the prices on these items to be all that impressive, but if you're into these labels, you might feel otherwise. The one exception would be on major holiday weekends (Memorial day, labor day, President's day, etc) when many store have sidewalk sales to clear out leftover merchandise. If you're lucky and in the mood to dig, that's when you'll find the elusive $300 item marked down to $25 sales.<BR>If you're looking for name brand, rather than designer , merchandise, Woodbury Commons has some of those too (there are something like 200 stores, spread out over a HUGE area) but they're really kind of the "poor relations".<BR><BR>Jersey Gardens is more like a huge indoor mall where most (but not every single one) of the stores is an outlet (of well known department store brands, not boutique labels)or "offprice store"<BR>(huge Daffy's, Marshalls, etc). They have stores like Bass, Banana Republic, H&M outlet (not much cheaper than the 'real" H&M stores), housewares stores, etc. While not by any means the best outlet center in the country, IMO it really is the most reasonable option for people in the NY area to go to, especially without a car (bus fare is about $3.00 each way, I believe)if they are looking for a more standard "outlet experience. If you're trying to get items at prices below $30- $40 a piece, it really is the only option.<BR><BR>One quick clarification on the tax info given above-- it's all sort of correct.<BR>NJ does not tax clothing at all. Most other items at Jersey Gardens is taxed at 3% but there are some stores (Daffy's comes to mind) where they specifically note that they charge the full 6% state tax on non-clothing items (maybe because their corporate office is in another city--who knows)<BR>Woodbury Commons is in NY State which has eliminated its part of the sales tax on clothing items of $110 / piece or less. However, It is in Orange county, which has NOT waived the tax, so you end up paying about 3 1/2% (or 4?) on clothing, 6 1/2 (or 7?)percent on all other items.

suzanne Sep 13th, 2002 09:38 AM

Woodbury Commons: mainly high end designer clothes and merchandise, discounted. Coach, Off 5th, Neiman Marcus Last Call, Adidas, London Fog...typical outdoor outlet center stores. <BR><BR>Jersey Gardens: Gap, Old Navy, DSW Shoe Warehouse, Filene's Basement, Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, and H&M are some of the biggest stores there; the smaller stores are your typical mall stores. Everything's discounted. In general, much cheaper than Woodbury Commons, because the clothing is not as "high - end".<BR><BR>Pre X-mas...Jersey Gardens and all department stores in Manhattan are unbelievably packed. I wouldn't set foot in either if you paid me. Woodbury is somewhat packed too but there's more room for pedestrians. I cannot comment on prices as I avoid shopping right before Xmas.

ah Sep 13th, 2002 11:17 AM

Is Jersey Gardens next to IKEA at Exit 13? I've driven by there on my way to my brother's on Staten Island and had no idea I was missing it!

ahh Sep 13th, 2002 11:33 AM

To: ah ([email protected])<BR><BR>Check out their site at www.jerseygardens.com<BR><BR>FYI (excerp from site),<BR>Directions <BR><BR>- Jersey Gardens is located at Exit 13A of the New Jersey Turnpike. After passing through the tollbooth, follow signs for Jersey Gardens Boulevard. <BR>From local Routes 1 & 9, follow North Avenue East- Elizabeth Seaport. Take Jersey Gardens Boulevard onto the property. <BR>- Jersey Gardens is also accessible via NJ Transit buses 24, 40, and from Manhattan via #111. <BR>- Jersey Gardens also operates a free shuttle from Newark International Airport at Airtrain Station P4. <BR> <BR>For Information call <BR>1-877-SAY-VALU <BR> <BR>Shopping Hours: <BR>Monday-Saturday 10-9<BR>Sunday 11-7<BR><BR><BR>

ilisa Sep 13th, 2002 11:40 AM

Woodbridge Center is a regular mall, not an outlet mall.

annie Sep 13th, 2002 11:41 AM

<BR>Traffic in the area of Woodbury Ccommon is terrible from the day after Thanksgiving (the ABSOLUTE worst) until Christmas Eve. Expect it to get worse now that A Super Walmart has opened and Kohl's and a many other stores are about to open at the intersection of route 32 and 17.<BR>Orange county tax is 3 1/2% on clothes with no allowances. NYS tax has been waived for purchases up to $110.00/<BR><BR>Woodbridge Center is just a regular mall off route 1 & 9. Have fun!!<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Merilee Sep 13th, 2002 12:09 PM

The traffic at Woodbury Commons has become so congested that they have had to seek the help of the state police to try and keep it flowing. Inside there are security guards directing traffic. This past Christmas on the last weekend before Christmas Day it took an average of 2 to 3 hours to exit the outlet (at around 6:00PM) if you were unlucky enough to have parked in the back by KayBee Toys. It's best to park as close as possible in the front facing Route 32 (by the Sony store). Valet parking is now $6.00 and it uses up alot of spots. No doubt traffic will become worse when the new shopping center next door is completed.

topper Sep 17th, 2002 01:09 PM

topping