Jersey Boys - Review of Broadway Show

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What can I say? I loved it. What a great time. I went in expecting nothing. The show was much more professional and 'tighter' than I would have thought, considering it is only in previews. Even for someone who has never really paid much attention to Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons, it was really enjoyable. The audience was on their feet more than once and this will probably be a Tony nomination for the lead, John Lloyd Young (who is making his Broadway debut). Sorry if I am gushing, but this was really a treat. The show absolutely transported you to another place and time. I give it 2 thumbs up.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:05 AM
GoTravel

I LOVE Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons!

Their best of album was my very first album. I won it in a radio contest back in the 1970s!

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:08 AM

I love them too. Does it date me too much to say that the first record I ever bought by myself was "Sherry" and it was a 45 rpm????
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:48 AM

OK this is off topic, but way back in 1960, I was on the Point Pleasant NJ boardwalk with my parents. There was an open air bar where a new band was singing their debut release 'Sherry'. The band was the Four Seasons (formerly known as the Four Lovers). I'd love to see the play.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

go to www.jerseyboysbroadway.com and make sure your volume is on.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 12:17 PM

I am so glad to hear that, bugswife1! I saw it recently and loved it as well- much more than I expected to! After many recent disappointments, this one was a pure pleasure to see. I am a bit too young for the 4 Seasons heyday, but the story is fascinating and I love the music.

I thought the show was excellent: well staged, clever, and fun from start to finish. I could go on about why I thought this show was better than many other recent "jukebox musicals," but I won't I will say that the best part, I thought, was that music was used in context only, and therefore made perfect sense.

I highly recommend it!
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 12:32 PM

Would this show be appropriate for a 12 year old?
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Oregonmom, I'd love to say yes, but there is some very strong language in the show. The 4 Seasons all grew up in blue-collar New Jersey, and the "f-bomb" is dropped quite a bit throughout. (I'm a native New Jerseyan, so no disrespect intended there! Just a fact of life).

However, if you feel your 12-year-old can handle that, the show is otherwise just fine, and will probably be a lot fun for him or her.