Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Jenny Lake Boat/Hike Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/jenny-lake-boat-hike-trip-222461/)

Judy May 19th, 2002 01:43 PM

Jenny Lake Boat/Hike Trip

I read positive info regarding this trip here on the message board. However, the Grand Teton Lodge people were not very helpful. They did tell me that you have to be one of the first twenty people to go on this boat/hike and to get the info from the NPS. I looked in the NPS website and am unsure if I am looking at the right one. There seem to be a number of them and there is no mention of a guide??? Can anyone give me anymore details on where to get the info.<BR>Is it a great activity?

Dayle May 19th, 2002 02:56 PM

Hi Judy!<BR><BR>Taking the boat across Jenny Lake to Hidden Falls is very popular. Each boat carries about 20 people, but during peak season, they run 3-4 boats continuously so they depart about every 20 minutes. I don't know if you can buy advance tickets, so you may be waiting in line a while. Just follow the signs from the Jenny Lake parking lot to the docks.<BR><BR>No guides are necessary & the hike is not hard. I've hiked around the lake on the return (twice) & don't really care for the return hike (taking boat only one-way). It just seems to get very long.<BR><BR>Carry lots of water, sunscreen & a sun hat. <BR><BR>There are many hikes in Teton Natl Park that are just a nice. I really like the short hikes around Coulter Bay. There are several small lakes with moose, swans, herons, etc. Not crowded like Jenny Lake and much better chance of seeing wildlife.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Kathy May 20th, 2002 06:32 AM

This is a very pretty hike. I don't know if you can buy tickets in advance, but we just showed up, got in line, and the line does move pretty fast. Agree with previous poster that it's nice to take the boat back. Regarding your other question on the other post, I know that there is alot of horseback riding in the Jackson area, a short distance from Grand Teton National Park. If you go back and read old posts, there are some recommendations on reputable places to go. I would recommend a drive into Jackson anyways from the Tetons, so maybe you could combine a horseback trip with seeing the town. Have a great trip, it's a beautiful part of the country.

Kay Jun 16th, 2002 02:10 PM

The boats were running last week from South Jenny Lake. No one around in the morning, but lots of folks in the afternoon. If you take the boat, the climb to the falls is .5 miles uphill. If you hike from the South, the trail is 2 miles of rolling trail with just a few climbs but lots of rock, then the same .5 mile climb to the falls. You can tke the boat one way in either direction or roundtrip. You can also hike to the falls from the north from String Lake--fewer people from this direction, but no boat. You can also hike the loop around the lake and see the falls --about 7 miles.

amy Jun 16th, 2002 02:21 PM

We were there in late September last year (22nd - 29th), and the boat had stopped running for the season. The water in Jackson Lake was low by about 20 feet, as they were having a drought last year, and they were sending water downstream for irrigation. I don't think this had anything to do with the boat not running, just that we were there late in the season. The hike was easy, though, and well worth it. It might have been nice to take the return trip by boat across the lake. Its just so beautiful there!