Jellyfish around Ft. Walton Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are headed to FWB in a couple of weeks. How bad can the jellyfish get? I was reading on trip advisor and someone mentioned that the jellyfish moved in thick one day at our hotel Sheraton 4 Points. I haven't had much experience with jellyfish being from OK.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Like seaweed, jellyfish come and go. You may see them one day and not the next.

You may never see a jellyfish. Or the Gulf behind your hotel may be full of them.

You can't control it, so don't worry about it.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:09 AM

mapngo--I had read the same thing about the Miramar Beach area near Destin.

Has anyone been in this area within the last few days? I realize jellyfish come and go, but what I read sounded like a "jellyfish warning" we experienced a few years ago near Pensacola.

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:14 AM

I grew up working on the beach working for Hawaiian Tropics and I always asked the lifeguards or the umbrella/chair porters what was in the surf. They get out very early and are a wealth of information regarding all creatures that may be out in force that day.

If you do get stung, rinse any remaining tentacles off with sea water, not fresh, and apply vinegar. If tentacles are stuck to the skin, remove with tweezers or gloved hand. Also, look for an allergic reaction like you would a bee sting.

I've only been stung badly once by a large jellyfish. The little ones I've encountered aren't aggressive and you can avoid them if you are aware of their presence. They usually float along their merry way.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

thank you all for the replies. Nolefan I will take your advice and try to ask a lifeguard about the conditions for the day. My DH had one wrapped around his arm in Nassau. I was one of the lucky few who didn't get stung at the beach that day. I sure don't want to drive all that way to play in the hotel pool.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Said last night on the news that for the most part the jellyfish are gone. They were a big bother for a few weeks but have finally moved on.
Be sure to check the flag warning system - purple means pesky aquatic wildlife and red means the surf is too dangerous.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Good information, nolefan and cynthia. Thanks!
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 04:43 AM

I was just in Destin/Ft. Walton area last week, I love the beaches there! I got stung as did my brother in law, however it wasn't anything to bad. Stinging for about 10 minutes and then it was gone as quick as it came. I saw a few, small and large, but like the other reader posted, do not worry about it, there is nothing you can do anyway short of not going in the water which I would not do-it is to darn pretty to stay away. The beaches I stay at do not have lifeguards. Just be cautious and they do not want to be near you anymore than you do not want to be near them! Have fun!
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 05:32 PM

We also have jellyfish sometimes at our Texas beaches. We always carry meat tendorizer in our bags. If you get stung just sprinkle it on very generously and the sting will go away. Son-in-law also carries it in his boat for wade fishing.