Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Jekyll Island/ Savannah ideas or Wild Dunes/Charleston (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/jekyll-island-savannah-ideas-or-wild-dunes-charleston-695927/)

berlin67 Apr 11th, 2007 09:05 AM

Jekyll Island/ Savannah ideas or Wild Dunes/Charleston

I am probably heading to Jekyll Island in August with my 7 yr old daughter, but am considering Wild Dunes as well.
I am looking for suggestions on where to stay on JI...debating between Beachview Hotel or Villas of the Sea..which has better beachfront for wading, collecting seashells, etc, a better pool for a beginning swimmer...I'd prefer a place that has a restaurant on site for breakfast etc, but not required.
If we do JI, am considering doing a 1-2 day stop in Savannah. Is it worth it? if so, would like to stay in Historic District..any suggestions? what are the things we should definitely do while there?
Thanks a bunch.

beach_dweller Apr 12th, 2007 08:55 AM

ttt

palmettoprincess Apr 14th, 2007 02:39 PM

I've stayed at Wild Dunes and both of your JI options. Wild Dunes is a great way to enjoy the beach and Charleston. We have stayed at the Boardwalk Inn (NICE) and an oceanfront condo. Wild Dunes is pricey, but for a 3-4 day stay well worth it.

The units at Villas by the Sea are individually owned and decorated. I did not like the one unit that I was in. The pool must be unremarkable, because I don't remember it. The VbytheS is on the end of the island that is losing sand and has a thin strip of beach at high tide. There is a restaurant in walking distance. Here again, unremarkable.

Beachview Hotel was sparkling new when I stayed there eight years ago. It was the most restful place I have ever stayed. Just about 30 units tops. Nice hamocks and a hottub and pool near the beach. There is a little bit more sand on that part of the beach.

The big advantage of Jekyll is no traffic on the island and easy access to I-95. There are miles of bike trails that we love. You will be closer to nature than anyother beach location I can think of. But the price of that is less options to eat, shop, ect.

Jeklyll is being tranformed two hotels are being demolished and rebuilt and I can't wait to try them next year. The current hotels are dated because the hotels are on land owned by the state of Georgia and the lease is just about up. The state is renegotiating 30 year leases so the properties will have an incentive to spruce up.

usf Apr 14th, 2007 06:36 PM

Savannah is WONDERFUL. Definitely stay in the historic district. There is a Hampton Inn on Bay Street. Try to stay on either River Street or Bay Street. Many, many lovely inns. Plan to stay at least two days...and make sure to visit Lady & Sons - even a 7 yr. old would enjoy the food. Make sure you visit the Lowe House (as in Juliette Gordon Lowe - Girl Scout Founder)and River Street along with Ft. Pulaski. Again, Savannah is WONDEFUL.

jallard Apr 14th, 2007 06:49 PM

Hi,
We have not been to JI, but have stayed at Wild Dunes (Boardwalk Inn). The hotel is ver nice. The pool is also very nice and it is a short walk to the beach. You are also very near Charleston - which is fun. Wild Dunes seems like a great place for a young child to spend time in the summer and it is also relaxing for a mother!

berlin67 Apr 15th, 2007 06:19 PM

Hi! Thanks for all the ideas. I think I continue to lean toward JI and Savannah..being able to experience nature on JI is appealing to me.

Does anyone remember anything about the pool at Beachview vs Villas of the Sea? The pool is a vital part of the trip..for my daughter, of course! lol

Any ideas for a B&B or Historic Inn in the Historic District of Savannah that allows kids..and that isn't too expensive..under 150 preferable..or could do under 200?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

maryanne1 Apr 16th, 2007 03:44 AM

Hampton Inn has breakfast.

Retired_teacher Apr 16th, 2007 05:16 AM

The Green Palm Inn (4 rooms) fits your price category and it's located within walking distance of the action on River Street. It also has a 7 day cancelation policy which is good for the Savanah area where they can run as high as 30 with 1/2 stay prepaid.

palmettoprincess Apr 16th, 2007 07:27 AM

Neither pools at the Beachview or Villas by the Sea is remarkable. The Beachviews was nicer, because there was nothing between the ocean and pool (Except for dunes) so it sounded relaxing. There used to be a waterpark on the island. Doesn't anyone know if it still open?

Lex1 Apr 16th, 2007 12:09 PM

The pool at the Beachview has, well, a beach view. Nicest hotel on the beach, by far. The pool at Villas is heavily shaded in the center of the complex. Heck, the entire complex is shaded heavily. The beach at the Villas disappears at high tide. The Beachview beach is wider and easier to access. Beachview does have some units with full kitchens.

jill_h Apr 16th, 2007 02:03 PM

We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn on White Bluff - outside of the Historic District, but an easy 10 minute drive. Complimentary Full hot breakfast every day, nice room with small kitchen, fridge, micro; less expensive than Historic District. Try Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House for lunch - get in line early for a seat. Better food that Lady & Sons.

jumpinjess7 Apr 16th, 2007 05:03 PM

I went to Savannah for a weekend this fall and we did a trolley tour. The one we did ran one every 20 minutes or so and allowed us to get on and off to further explore the various sites. It was a nice way to spend the day because we were able to hear the touristy/historical information about the sites and then hop off the trolley to explore more about them. The trolley takes you all around the historic district and down River Street. If you get one of the travel brochures (we got ours from our hotel) they have coupons!