Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Jekyll Island - Fab Family Destination (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/jekyll-island-fab-family-destination-850838/)

palmettoprincess Jul 21st, 2010 03:21 PM

Jekyll Island - Fab Family Destination

I hate to write this travel report. I don't want too many people to find my favorite spot. Came back from a four night trip to Jekyll Island. Nearly perfect. Why?

Jekyll is owned by the state of Georgia. It has large tracks of undeveloped beach areas and virgin marine forests. When you are on the beach you are likely to see more fiddler crabs than people.

We stayed at the new Hampton Inn. (Free because of award points.) It was nice with quiet rooms. The AC worked great. We had two standard rooms but they were large. The pool was steps away and a board walk took us to the ocean. My only complaint was they were stingy with towels - not a good thing for a beach resort. The hotel is secluded, nearly a mile from the closest hotel or house.

Bring your own bikes, because you will want to coast through the marsh trails and rentals are pricey. Jekyll has an extensive network of trails. I do believe you could stay on the island for a week without driving.

Jekyll has good restaurants. We followed TA advice and never went wrong.

I'm ready to go back!

starrs Jul 21st, 2010 03:56 PM

Shhhhh!!!!!
:-(

Glad to hear you liked the Hampton Inn. Can't wait to try it.

longhorn55 Jul 21st, 2010 04:34 PM

Glad to hear you had a great time on JI. We've been going there (both with and without the kids) for over 20 years. In fact, we're going back with the kids, now grown, again next month. That's great advice to bring your own bikes because the trails are great and the rentals are pricey. I just wish we could do that, but we have to fly to JI as it is too far for us to drive for a short visit.
BTW, did you go to the Summer Waves water park. We love water parks, but I heard that the wavepool may be closed this season. Do you know anything about that?

palmettoprincess Jul 21st, 2010 06:15 PM

The wave pool was open. We like to go after 3 p.m. when the park entrance is half price. Three hours of climbing stairs and riding the waves is enough.

Starrs: They allow dogs at teh Hampton Inn. The second floor is set aside for those traveling with four legged companions.

JoeJitzu Jul 23rd, 2010 07:35 AM

We used to take our bikes until our kids grew up and moved out. Now we sometimes go the rental route. It's cheaper to rent by the week, and Wheel Fun located at the Days Inn & Suites is cheaper than the Bike Barn at the mini-golf.

I think we'll take our bikes from now on. Like a boat or car, you get used to your own stuff, and you've already fit it and customized it to your wants and needs. I always feel a little awkward with a rental.

Hope the Hampton gets the message and stops skimping on towels. But that seems to be a recurring theme with hotels these days, even the more pricey ones. My wife won a trip for 2 to Chateau Elan about a month ago. The room was nice, the bath was huge, but we had one set of towels and washcloths apiece. They had really nice, warm, plush terrycloth robes, however - or I should say one robe, as that's all there was.

We usually just tell the housekeepers to leave us extras - or "borrow" them from the laundry cart.

longhorn55 Jul 23rd, 2010 07:41 AM

Thanks, palmettoprincess. We were planning on doing the discount visit after 3pm as well. My knees won't take more than 3 hours of climbing stairs!

CarolinaKid Aug 10th, 2010 12:32 PM

PalmettoPrincess you are so right! The bike trails and uncrowded beaches are reason enough to go, but I love the historic section too. One of my favorites.

starrs Mar 31st, 2011 03:59 PM

OMG palmettoprincess! I just saw this!

Jekyll Island, here I come (with pup) :-)

MyMtnHarmony Apr 18th, 2011 05:33 AM

We love Jekyll too! My husband shared this family secret with me and I love it. I miss the white sands of Grayton Beach but this place is just as quiet and relaxed!

We enjoy the whole island. We always bring our bikes. The sandbar at low tide is fun and free.
Walking on the south beach is even more remote than the north end, but wear bug spray on the walk out! We saw dolphins and LOADS of birds there.

We also go to the water park later in the day. It is still very hot then and we have never had issues with crowds or anything. Even the youngest enjoyed it. My children were exhausted but didn't want to leave. You are not allowed to bring outside food in to the park unless you have an infant/toddler. So we enjoyed some forbidden goldfish and water for a snack! :)

We normally rent a house or something. I have NEVER stayed in a motel there. I enjoy my own kitchen, etc. Our latest favorite is http://www.rentjekyll.com/0049/0049.htm due to its location and price. We can rent several for friends or family! I love the fact we are off the road enough the kids can ride around the unit without fear. The other good thing is you get pool passes with this unit and you don't have to wait until super low tide to get some sand showing at the beach. There are only 4 units and even with an infant next door we had a peaceful stay. We even had access to a grill. What I love about Jekyll is everyone is I can relax even with the kids! No rush here or rush there. I live in the mountains and enjoy nature so I don't want a place that is all built up - I want a place to enjoy nature and that's exactly what Jeyll is!

We normally go late May / early June... less bugs and not so hot that we can't enough biking and such.

See ya at Jekyll ;)