Help with planning Cape Cod area trip

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with planning Cape Cod area trip

My Husband and I planning a trip to the coastal areas of Massachusetts end of July 2007. My Husband will be in Boston for 3 weeks for work and we plan to tour Boston for few days together then spend a week on either Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard or Nantucket. We have never been to Massachusetts and would love some help in planning. From my preliminary view of this sight, Nantucket seems like a nice fit. We don’t have children (so we don't need an area that caters to families.) We are in our mid to late 30s and enjoy relaxing on the beach, sailing, touring mansions and old homes, dining out, exploring quaint areas. I envision a small house on the beach with a patio or porch where we can hear the ocean and BBQ local seafood. Would be interested in an Inn or Hotel if they had private cottages with ocean/bay views. Any input or suggestions would be most appreciated! Starting from scratch here – so no detail or tidbit is too small. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 02:39 AM

I would recommend a trip out to Rockport from Boston - train is quick & it is a good day out.
Challenge a chess champion at Harvard.
You mention mansions so Newport is an obvious recommendation.
I did Marthas Vineyard as a day trip & wished I'd spent longer - especially at Edgartown. The boat trip back on Sunday is at 8.15. Queues at restaraunts was the only bad thing there.
Whale trip from Barnstable was really good & I never felt sea sick.
The Kennedy compound in Hyannis is a drive by - we were thrilled to be waved at by someone in the garden.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 03:32 PM

You could stay on the Cape for the week and take day trip ferries to both islands.

The Cape has plenty of attractions for adults including: National Seashore; Summer theatre; Melody Tent; Whale Watches; Museums; Sailing; Provincetown and Hyannis nightlife and of course hundreds of faantastic dining out options.

Many of the bigger resorts have private cottages such as you describe: Look at Wequassett Inn, Chatham Bars and Red Jacket Resorts.

My reccomendation to first-time visitors to the area is to stay on the Cape and take ferry trips out to the islands. Staying on the Cape gives you much more flexibility and options.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 06:28 PM

I would recommend splitting the week between the Cape and either MV or Nantucket. I'm a recent Vineyard convert, so that's my bias. I prefer the shorter ferry trip over (as opposed to the ferry to Nantucket - not to mention shorter drive to the Vineyard ferry from Boston), plus I just happen to know more people there

I have not yet been to Nantucket (as I said, ferry too long and I never have enough time to do anything as it is), but a close friend who is familiar with the island claims it is harder to get oneself to a beach on Nantucket for those not in the know. Can't vouch for it.

I feel like the Cape has a lot to offer (the Wequosset and Chatham Bars Inns are both good recommendations), but so does the Vineyard. Maybe I shouldn't recommend it, then, and keep it to ourselves. One can really find what one wants in either location - casual, formal, beach, food, ice cream, shopping, whatever!

And there are a number of ferry options returning at various times, not just 8:15 on Sundays.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 06:53 PM

CBTravler,

You and your husband are going to love Massachusetts!!! Boston is a great city and the Cape and the Islands are spectacular in the summer!!! Just realize that many people feel this way, and prepare yourselves for the crowds in July!

I don't know if you like to hop around a bit, but if you do, I'd recommend staying on the Cape for a few nights, then choosing one of the islands for the rest of the time with a day trip to the other, just so you can experience it all.

Check out Hyannis and Falmouth for easy access to the islands, beautiful Chatham for a true Cape Cod experience, and funky Provincetown for a unique time!

I love both Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard! Personally, I find both islands very different and love the atmosphere each has to offer. To me, Martha's Vineyard is more whimiscal; Victorian cottages lining Oak Bluffs, yet galores of T-shirt shops and jewelry stores in Tisbury, Oak Bluffs and even the more upscale Edgartown. Mopeds, bicycles and jeep rentals often clog the main roads, yet this all feels okay since it's the "Vineyard"!! I vividly remember the days when we all hitchhiked around the island, feeling quite safe! Ahh, memories!!!! Of course, Vineyarders hate the mopeds, which is certainly understandable since they're trying to get back and forth to work (not to mention the potential danger) while everyone else is on vacation!!!! And, don't forget about the views at Gayhead, absolutely breathtaking!!!!!!

Nantucket is a gorgeous island filled with summertime blue hydrangeas, sweet pink beach roses adorning New England style weathered, shingled homes. Lots of large SUV's, mopeds and bikes also, but the general feeling is ritzier, IMHO. The beaches are more public than MV, and if you rent a 4x4 with a beach sticker you can ride on some. What a great way to spend the day!! Just be prepared to pay, pay, pay!!!! Nantucket is further out than Martha's Vineyard, but you're on vacation, so who cares????

I don't think you can go wrong with any decision. Enjoy our beaches, our ambience and our "Eastern mentality". We are often perceived as reserved at times, but I believe it's only because we're constantly trying to thaw out after our cold and raw winters!!!!!!

Oh yes, don't forget to try New England lobster, scallops, scrod, clamboils,and New England "chowda"! We have the greatest seafood!!!!!!!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:14 PM

I forgot to post something important!!! When you leave Boston on your way to the Cape, don't go on a Friday unless it's early in the morning!!! Backups on the Bourne and Sagamore Bridges can go on for miles and last hours!!!! Also, try not to return on Sunday, as there can be huge traffic jams also. If you decide to go to Martha's Vineyard, you can avoid all the traffic by taking 93South to 24South to 140South to 195East and get off the downtown New Bedford exit to catch the ferry there!!! Very easy and less stressful, just more money(of course)!!! While in New Bedford, spend an hour touring the Whaling Museum after checking out Wyland's beautiful whale painting on the Maritime Terminal! Good luck!!!!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Aha, New Bedford is a good recommendation, but can't do the New Bedford ferry with a car, so if you really want to take one over, book your car res. as soon as possible. Also, avoid driving to the Cape from Boston on Saturday mornings - Saturday is rental turnover day.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 04:59 AM

For a relaxing, authentic Cape cod experience I suggest you choose the outer cape where the Federal Gov't, in the Cape Cod National Seashore, has managed to preserve abut 1/3 of the land and all of the ocean beaches from development. www.nps.gov/caco
The area is rich in history with whaling captain's houses like the Captain Penniman house on Fort Hill, the best beaches in the USA like Coast Guard Beach in Eastham, wide variety of cultural activities including theater like WHAT in Wellfleet, villages with distinct personalities like Chatham, Wellfleet, Orleans, Eastham, Truro and Provincetown, and some of the best dining you will find on cape Cod or the Islands. There is only one place that you can stay that is actually in the park with ocean views called the Fort HIll Bed and Breakfast, www.forthillbedndbreakfast.com It is our most favorite place to stay and I hesitate to recommend it for fear that it will not be available when we want to go! But we have never been disappointed yet so as long as all of the Fodorites do not read this, I guess we will still get our Fort Hill piece of heaven. If you decide to go to one of the islands for several days I would recommend reserving a suite in the main house. If you stay on the Cape for the entire week you should try to reserve their cottage which has ocean views and is very roomy. Either way, you will love the cape and can easily spend a week exploring the beaches, hidden spots and popular villages of the outer cape without all the traffic you will encounter if you stay in the mid-cape area. You can easily take a day trip from Harwich to Nantucket if you decide to spend more time on the Cape or on MV. But try not to stretch yourself too thin or you will not really get the relaxed feeling that is so precious when you visit these seaside locations.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the great and detailed advice -- it is truly appreciated. I soak this stuff up - keep it coming!
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:30 PM

You have picked a beautiful time to be in Massachusetts as our summers usually aren't too hot and allow you to do lots of fun things--biking, hiking, beaching.

Any idea of budget? Being on the beach as you would like will be pricey no matter where you go. You might do well to rent a cottage (try www.weneedavacation.com) if you're willing to day trip it. Martha's Vineyard is lovely and my pick over Nantucket but there are fans of both.

I second the motion for time in the National Seashore. It's just gorgeous at any time of the year and while it can get crowded, it's still better than most vacation spots.

Wequassett and Chatham Bars are lovely but pricey. So give us an idea of your budget and we can all help more.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great replies so far. Ccrosner, our budget is flexible, but we'd like to stay under $300/night ($200 range would be preferred but we understand summer rates and best spots will have higher rates). We'd consider spending more for an exceptional experience, though. After doing a little search for beach cottages, realized it's not in the cards for the two of us given the price and common requirement of a full week stay starting on a Saturday. We are hoping to stay Monday through Friday. Open to island jumping (2 at the most) if the repacking is worth the experience. Staying at a nice Inn, Cottages, B&B in town within walking distance to a nice beach and good restaurants & shopping is now where we're heading. Looking forward to more advice and details. Thanks!
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 04:49 AM

On your budget, you might be able to get a room at Chatham Bars or Wequasset (both lovely properties which CBI closer to the lovely town of Chatham). But you might also like to look into staying at an Inn or B&B.

I love the suggestion of the Fort Hill B&B as it is adjacent to our favorite spot on the Cape (Fort Hill). And the rooms look lovely on the website. You'd have to drive places from there but it's a good location

You might look into an Inn in Chatham if you like wondering around towns. It's a lovely spot.

Other thoughts--Pepper House Inn in Brewster (very convenient and we've stayed there in a pinch when our house was rented to others), Whalewalk Inn in Eastham. I'd suggest some time on tripadvisor.com looking at the recommendations of others.

I can't really help you with lodging ideas on MV or Nantucket but will say that I prefer MV for its diverse topography.