Reload this Page >

Jacob Lake, N. Rim, Grand Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:03 AM
Judy

Going to N.Rim next summer. Are there any motels in Jacob Lake or near N.Rim. Coming from Jackson, WY and then over to Mesa Verde. Looking for place to stay near the North Rim. Any info will be appreciated.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:18 AM
Polly

I dont know about Jacob's Lake accommodations, but I would spring for lodging at the Rim. High is about $110 per night (some lower)...and well worth it.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:23 AM
Neil

Although Jacob Lake is the closest "town" to the North Rim, it is about 45 miles from there to the rim. I agree that you would be much better off staying in the park. Check out the Frontier or Pioneer cabins at Grand Canyon Lodge.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:24 AM
Judy

Is there lodging at the North Rim. I can find no info even in AAA tour books.If so, do you have a name. I did find the jacob lake inn about 44 mi no of no rim. would love to stay there if there is something. Thanx

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:30 AM
Judy

Thanx Neil. That is just what I'm looking for. Just didn't have a name.
Thanks again

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:51 AM
Tricia

Judy, my family just returned this July from a 2 week southwest vacation.
One of our favorite spots was the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.
We stayed in a Pioneer Cabin, located very close to the rim. It came with a porch and 2 rocking chairs. It was the most peaceful, serene of places, and I will always remember staying there! (I made reservations about 9 months in advance). We enjoyed an excellent dinner at the lodge (also make reservations in advance). There were deer outside of our cabin at night. Having my quiet morning coffee on the porch while bird watching was delightful.
Visit the National Park Service website for further information. The address is www.nps.gov.
I highly recommend staying right at the rim! It was a real highlight of our trip. Tricia

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 01:24 PM
Judy

Tricia
Thanks so much for the input. Looks like this is the way to go. BTW we will have 3 boys, 14,12 and 9. OK for them also???

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:14 PM
Paul Rabe

For info on lodging on and near the North Rim, check out

www.kaibab.org/gc/serv/gc_serv.htm#north_park

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:35 PM
Tricia

Hi again Judy,
The Pioneer cabin was fine for my husband, myself and our two sons, ages 15 & 13. The room came with 2 queen size beds. We also had a roll-away brought in. There is a separate dressing area, full bath, writing desk, table and chairs, and a gas fireplace. No a.c. or ceiling fans. Also, no television or radio. We slept with the windows open, it was 95 degrees during the day, but cooled right off when the sun went down. Probably about 70 degrees.
We all really enjoyed the porch. We were located around the corner from the Visitor Center. There was a sidewalk that went by the front of our cabin. The Frontier cabins were across the way from us. They were larger, but had no porch or rocking chairs.
If you can, have dinner in the lodge. It was the best meal we had during our entire vacation! We ended our meal with caramel apple cheesecake that was to die for. The service there was also excellent. The view was incredible, and there was a rainbow to boot. What a memory.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I actually posted a trip report, but it's under the heading of Trip Report: Moab, Utah because that was the beginning of our vacation. Have fun planning! Tricia

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 03:29 PM
Judy

Tricia, Thanks again for such a great report. I'm going to look up your complete report. I felt like I was there with your explanations.

Paul. Thanks for the website.
PS. Mesa Verde will be next place. No TV or radio there either..

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:59 PM
jan

Tricia, You've got me all excited, it sounds more adorable than I first thought. Will be there in August. Coming down from Canada to your fine country. Do you know how late they serve dinner, [leary on making reservations not sure what time we will arrive and what is the average cost of the dinner?
Thanks,
jan

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:13 PM
Polly

We were there in late May; must have been in the same cabin Tricia stayed in...LOL...(no 341?). Loved the proximity to the canyon views and the "Grand Canyon Lodge." Used the natural gas heater and the natural gas logs in the fireplace to sleep at night. BRRRRRRRRRR. Recommend reservations at the 'first class restaurant' if that is where you choose to eat, but you can eat there as late as 9 PM if I remember correctly. There is also a cafe there and a bar. www.grandcanyonnorthrim.com Too many phone numbers on this brochure. For reservations: 303-29-PARKS; Lodge number = 520-638-2611; Sales & Marketing number = 435-586-9476.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:35 PM
diane

My husband worked at Jacob's Lake as a cook one summer when he was in college. He said they always chuckled when people would pull in pulling a boat and ask where the lake was. There is no lake. It's a fun place to stop for a snack or a meal, though.

I stayed at the larger cabins at the North Rim with my sister and my daughter three years ago. The smaller (and slightly cheaper) cabins would have suited us just fine, but we didn't call until two months in advance (for July), and they were all booked up. I called every other day or so until a cancellation occurred. We got reservations to eat in the Lodge before noon the one day we were there, but it was already too late to get daytime reservations, which meant we couldn't see the scenery while we ate. So reserve your dinner time before you go.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:01 AM
Tricia

Hi again,
My family also thought what time should we make dinner reservations? Don't want to be out hiking and need to return for dinner!
Well, we went ahead and reserved for 6:00 p.m. We chose to eat early because there are ranger led hikes happening during the evening. The night we were there they had a the "night prowl" that began at 9:00 p.m. It was a walk down the Bright Angel Trail w/a guide who educated us about the history of the stars. We live in the country in upstate NY, so we're able to see the big dipper, etc. every night. It was interesting to view the constellations so very differently placed in the sky out there. Actually, I remember the big dipper was totally upside down! We also saw some shooting stars. You could see the lights across the canyon to the South rim. There are diffenent ranger led activities (free) during the day. A list is up outside of the Visitor's Center.
The average cost of a meal on the menu at the lodge was about $20.00. They had a couple of pasta dishes that were less. I had the filet mignon and shrimp, that was $25.00. It is not an extensive menu. Dining here was well worth the money! Also, if you are going in the summer, you should definitely have reservations before you get there. They were busy, but there were plenty of servers & again, the service was excellent. Tricia