Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Jackson/Teton Village or Jackson Lake Lodge? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/jackson-teton-village-or-jackson-lake-lodge-1015574/)

ztrip May 28th, 2014 07:26 AM

Jackson/Teton Village or Jackson Lake Lodge?

We got a reservation for 3 nights in August at Yellowstone with our 3 children ages 12, 10 and 8. We will be staying at the Snow Lodge for 2 nights and the Lake Hotel for 1 night. We would like to spend some time in Grand Teton National Park, Jackson Hole and do rafting, hiking, riding, etc.
Should we stay a few nights in Jackson Hole and a couple of nights in Jackson Lake Lodge? or should we just stay in Jackson Hole?
If we stay in Jackson Hole, is it better to stay in Jackson or in Teton Village?
Thanks so much!!

hikrchick May 28th, 2014 11:14 AM

My DH and I visited Grand Teton last September.

Our plane landed after dinner and for that first night we stayed at the Alpenhof Lodge in Teton Village. In the morning it was a bit faster to get into GT. You turn left and you're on the road right away, instead of dealing with Jackson Hole traffic. We then stayed several nights at Colter Bay Cabins inside the park. And on our last night, after our visit to Yellowstone, we again stayed at Alpenhof Lodge. We enjoyed it there, it was clean and quiet and has a nice complementary breakfast, and we did feel it's in the middle between Jackson Hole and the park.

Be aware that the road from Jackson Hole up to Teton Village is not well-lit at night and there are signs to slow down and be careful of wildlife. But we specifically did not want to stay in Jackson Hole. Even in late September, it was crowded.

Is there a reason you would not want to stay in GT? Are some of your activities within Jackson Hole?

HappyTrvlr May 28th, 2014 12:36 PM

We stayed in both Teton Village and Jackson and spent so much time driving in and out of the park. I would stay inside the park.

Myer May 28th, 2014 01:24 PM

Always inside the parks when possible.

Try to cut down on night driving.

pantanal May 28th, 2014 03:17 PM

Jackson Lake Lodge, hands down. Jackson (the town) is fun for a half a day of touristy, Western themed shopping and eating. Jackson Lake Lodge is magnificent, and convenient to sights, hikes and activities in the park. The grandeur of the lodge made such an impression on me when we visited the park when I was 10. As an adult, I have great memories of sitting in the Lodge's bar, watching the moose in the marsh with the mountains and lake in the distance while sipping a Jackson Lake blue margarita...perfection.

wtm003 May 28th, 2014 04:36 PM

<<watching the moose in the marsh with the mountains and lake in the distance while sipping a Jackson Lake blue margarita...perfection.>>

I've done the same and perfection is the right word. The view always takes my breath away.

You'll find many families of all age ranges spending time together whether it is playing board games or cards or just relaxing and enjoying the scenery. I really enjoy the atmosphere.

ztrip Jun 1st, 2014 03:08 AM

Thank you all so much! Reserved in the park!

ztrip Jun 1st, 2014 03:13 AM

Any other suggestions? Anything you think we shouldn't miss?

amer_can Jun 1st, 2014 10:54 AM

Suggest you do a tour..the science school has one I believe and the guides take you places you might miss and wildlife viewing is awesome. Your boys might like to see a small creek where the water is thermal (even in winter) and there are goldfish living under the bridge..Saw them in Jan..ask about it.

ztrip Jun 1st, 2014 02:05 PM

Thank so much. Is the science school thru the Grand Teton national Park?

birder50 Jun 4th, 2014 04:34 AM

I don't know if this is what amer_can had in mind but this is what I found with a quick google search ~ looks amazing!

http://www.tetonscience.org/index.cf...peditions_gtnp