Jackson Hole to Old Faithful Inn

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons next spring. I have booked all the hotel arrangements and have just made our flight arrangments. We are landing at Jackson Hole at 5:46 pm and our 1'st night's stay is at Old Faithful Inn. By the time we rent a car and get to our hotel, will it be really late? Maybe we should stay that first night in JH and head north the next morning? Any recommendations?
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:47 AM

Hi Love2RV,

What EXACTLY do you mean by spring? There is the possibility of the road not even being open in March or April.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:37 AM

I just got back from a trip which included the same leg. I highly recommend you stay in Jackson the first nite. It's not a long ride by mileage, but it's not a quick trip. The road betw the 2 locations is narrow, twisty in spots, you're often behind slow drivers, and you have to drive cautiously because of all the possible unpredictible wildlife crossings the full length of the ride. I don't know if the road will be open due to season/weather, but there was night construction going on when we were there, and it could continue until spring with potential delays. I also think the ride is more enjoyable in daylight and you'll definitely not get to Old Faithful until well after dark. You also probably need to figure in dinner--Jackson has a number of places to eat; there are none on the road; and dining in Yellowstone is very limited--make reservations if you plan to arrive late and eat in the Inn dining room.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 03:29 PM

Definitely stay the first night in Jackson. You do not want to drive that road after dark,to dangerous and you would miss a lot.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM

I agree, stay in Jackson the first night. You might want to consider at Dornans in Moose Junction. This is the entrance to the Tetons and it is about as close to the airport as anything in Jackson. The airport actually is between Jackson and Entrance to Tetons. Just a short Jaunt to either place. Far more eating options in Jackson. Be prepared for road closures due to weather even in mid-June.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 06:27 AM

That drive would be terrific in early morning light, stressful late at night.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 07:15 AM

Love2RV,
I agree 100% with Dayle by asking when in Spring. I live in Wyoming and the situation that occurs more times than not is that our weather is completely different from the rest of the country. It is possible to get a foot of snow one part of the day and it be 40 degrees warmer by the end of the day. You need to take many precations...always have gas in your vehicle, extra clothing, jackets, boots, and I never leave home without blankets in my vehicle.
One other thing to consider, at different times during the day--it is very likely the roads into and out of the park will close and reopen do to the weather. Make sure that you plan ahead and if you do travel and are on medication that you always carry that with you in case of road closures. You are going to a very beautiful part of our country so take your time and lots of film. Watch out for the animals, and the drivers...people forget how to drive when they see large herd animals.