Age 62?

Old Jul 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Age 62?

I recently booked an excellent senior rate at a Hyatt- something like 30% off of the regular rates and it includes breakfast. I'm 60 and my husband is 2 years older so when I booked the reservation it seemed liked a incredible find. It hit me until about an hour later that he won't turn 62 until 6 weeks after our stay.
So, what to do? I'm so very reluctant to give this rate up (I looked and can't find any other discounts anywhere near this rate). The email confirmation said that we must show an ID with proof of age upon arrival. How strict are they about this?
Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 04:14 PM

not at all. of oyu are worried join aarp - and show the card if they ask. But no one has ever asked.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've found some properties are VERY strict about checking IDs for age-related discounts.

But normally -- the same rates, or nearly as good, are available for AAA members AARP, etc . . .
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Joining AARP won't help- the reservation states that you have to show proof that you are 62.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 04:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If the e-mail says you must show id -- you do.

So either book another rate you can live w/ -- or find a different hotel.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 04:57 PM

we have been aarp members for over 8 years - since mr. mz turned 55 - and the only time we have ever been asked for proof , the AARP card worked. I have NEVER stayed in a hyatt or hilton or marriott where they asked. Once, long ago at a sheraton.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM

Since you want to be honest about it, why not call the hotel (NOT central reservations – call the hotel directly), and say you made the booking not realizing that your husband would not turn 62 until a few weeks later. Tell them you really want to stay with them and why (not because it is the lowest rate, but other honest reasons – you love their location, the pix of the rooms look great on the website, you have stayed at other Hyatt properties in the past and have always enjoyed your stay, etc.). If you are a member of their frequent guest club that might be helpful to mention as well, unless you never stay at Hyatts.

Then just ask whether the fact that he is not yet 62 will be a problem with the rate you booked. If the person says no problem, be sure you get his/her name in case there is a problem at check-in. If the person says they are not sure or gives you an outright no, ask to speak with the reservations manager to check and see.

It seems to me that it would be sort of petty to turn you down for being honest, given the circumstances. In this economy, though, who knows – but at least you would be spend the time between now and then worrying that you will try to check in, only to be denied the rate you had hoped for.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:34 PM

I don't think it is like being 6 weeks short of 21 to be able to drink alcohol!

I think even if they require the ID, (which they probably won't, IMO), the fact that he is 6 weeks shy will be a non-issue. In fact, I would not be surprised if they *do* check, that all they would be looking for is the year and that would be correct
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 04:31 AM

I couldn't do it--if the rate is for those 62 and up, and neither of us were 62, I'd have to take the rate to which I was actually entitled.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 07:13 AM

It's probably about like AAA. They check that about half the time with me.

If our not 62, then you are lying and stealing. Whatever happened to honesty is the best policy.

Rules are rules. It always amazes me how everyone thinks someone should bend them a little. Even if it is 6 weeks.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 07:27 AM

What cranachin said ... +1
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 07:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My advice is the same as what Cranachin spelled out nicely above. Call the front desk at the hotel (not a reservations line) and tell them what you told us. Speak to a supervisor, see if you can find a sympathetic ear.

Sorry but I wouldn't want to get "carded" and found to be lying at a hotel check-in. Too embarrassing.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 07:32 AM

I just cannot look at it quite so black and white. The OP did not set out to deceive them and if she would feel better calling the hotel (directly as stated above, *not* the 800 number) during regular business hours and ask to speak to the reservations manager, not just the random person who answers, she can probably straighten this out to her satisfaction.

BTW, Marsha, if you do decide to call them, as opposed to taking your chances, please be sure to report back. I am going to be very surprised if the hotel expresses the same rigidity as some posters do......so if I am way off, I would love to know!
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 07:47 AM

I am sixty four and I use the Hyatt Senior rate frequently (it is a super deal at many locations). Every time I have used it I have been asked to produce identification which shows my dob.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 09:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<The OP did not set out to deceive them>

I don't see what that has to do with anything.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

All,
I did actually call the hotel directly (had done so before reading replies). Sure enough, they were very glad that I called and told me that there would be no problem. Thanks for all of your input.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 02:05 PM

Thanks for reporting back, Marsha. That is *exactly* what I expected the response of the hotel to be. Some of the responses from some posters that you got fall into the category of "overdeveloped superegos", in my professional opinion.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 09:28 AM
TC

Marsha, Your experience is just what I expected. I have NEVER been asked to produce ID -- either when I book a senior rate or when I use my Govt. rate - although all web sites say you will need to do just that. I qualify for both rates, but again, have never (not even once) been asked to produce proof for either at any hotel chain, in any city.