The Andrew Pinckney Inn, Charleston ... Comments, Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I love staying at The Harbour View Inn, I'd like to spend a little less on a family visit in August, and have heard some good things about the AP Inn. If you've stayed there, what did you like best about it? Thanks ...
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Loved the location, the unique 2-story townhouse rooms, rooftop breakfast area, easy parking (though a $14 fee), big bathrooms.

Would have stayed there again last weekend, but got a promo e-mail from the King Charles Inn where we had stayed about 10 years ago. It's been completely redone with very nice rooms and bathrooms and they were offering about 1/2 the price of the Andrew Pinckney's townhouse rooms, plus parking is free. It's a great bargain in about the same location.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:33 AM

Love The Andrew Pinckney. It is my go to because the price is so reasonable.

Free breakfast on the roof is the cherry on top.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I'm a little confused because it gets terrible reviews on travel.yahoo and also when you dig past the first few reviews on TA. Guess I will just have to see for myself at some point. Brian, you mention the King Charles Inn ... Is that the Best Western King Charles ? Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Yes. We were very impressed with the renovations. I'd still probably choose the Andrew Pinckney (especially the townhouse rooms) if the price were similar, but I think the King Charles is usually much cheaper and includes free parking (but no free breakfast).
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:43 AM

BTW, it appears that the King Charles and Andrew Pinckney are owned by the same company.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:49 AM

I've stayed at both and the Best Western King Charles (it is much nicer than a Best Western) has free parking and a cool pool.

Locations are both excellent.

Rooms wise I'd go with the Andrew Pinckney because it is more of an Inn.

The AP has free breakfast.

To me it is really a toss up.

Can't imagine why either would have bad reviews.

I think TA blows.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Good location, reasonable rates (for Charleston.) Only downside is it was too cold to eat breakfast outside on their rooftop spot, so we wound up carrying everything back downstairs. A little inconvenient, but no big deal.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM

I have stayed at the Pinckney and thoroughly enjoyed it. The one drawback about the lovely breakfast on the roof patio is that in August, when you will be there, the rooftop area can get hot as blazes even early in the day, with the sun shining straight on you in the morning. We struggled to find a little strip of shade to make the breakfast more comfortable.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Okay, guys ... comes down to this:

King Charles Inn ... $112/night AAA rate, free parking, free internet, no free breakfast ... but we would enjoy the pool. Not as much "charm."

OR

Andrew Pinckney ... $140/night AAA + $14/day parking, free internet and free breakfast, no pool but more "charm."

I'm leaning toward the King Charles, I think. I know it will be hot then so we will do tours and outdoor stuff early, then go indoors in the afternoon.

Thank you, everybody! Any further thoughts will be appreciated, like your favorite reasonable breakfast spots in the area?
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 11:27 AM

The King Charles because of the pool.

August will be hot hot. Plan on wearing skirts or shorts the entire time you are here. I prefer skirts because they are cooler.

Bring a sweater for the airconditioning. We've got it down to a science and you'll freeze your tushie off.

One great thing to do doing the day is the tour of Fort Sumter. The ocean breezes keep it cool all day long and the boat ride is fun.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

GoT, DH & I have done Ft. Sumter twice before, but my husband and son will go, as my son has not. The boat ride was the most fun part! Yeah, I think the pool, which stays open until 10 or 11, would be nice to have at the end of the day.

Favorite breakfast spots, please! I KNOW our dinners will be SNOB, Magnolia's, maybe Hank's Seafood and ???
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

One more thing ... we are planning to have three adults in a room with 2 DBLs. I have heard the rooms are small here, but feel with the lounge area of the hotel plus the pool area, we can "get away from each other." (Yes, I'm being cheap here, as we are traveling March, April, June and twice in August!) Are the rooms extremely small?
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Not extremely small at all. On the smaller side of the rooms I've stayed in across the country, but certainly not NYC small. Our king bedded room had room for a desk, small sitting area, decent closet and normal-sized bathroom (with great upgrades).

I'm not sure the normal rooms at the AP will be much bigger. And once you're inside the room, I think the new renovated rooms at the KC are just as charming as the AP.

And I agree with GoTravel - the pool seals the deal in August. Plus the covered parking will keep the car cooler.

We had a great breakfast at the very upscale gourmet food shop Cavier and Bananas a couple of blocks towards the College. Neat place.