Oahu - 3rd of 4 islands

Search

Oahu - 3rd of 4 islands

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu - 3rd of 4 islands

We stayed at the Ilhiani hotel (also looked at their timeshares which are beautifully decorated) - rooms are fantastic - large balcony the whole width of your room - and wide - bathrooms w/ separate marble vanities, soaking tub w/ separate shower. Lobby and grounds are beautifully landscaped w/ pools of coy, hammerheads and marble. Biggest disappointments was Azul's restaurant - overpriced and food was not that good - we preferred Napuka's (less formal but good food). We also dined at Duke's Canoe Club at Waikiki beach (like time square on New Year's Eve - what a sight!) You must go to Waikiki at night, but I would not want to stay there - the beach is packed liked sardines!! Best Meal (ever) was Alan Wong's in Honolulu (we also had lunch at the Pineapple room at Macy's at the Ala Moana's shopping center (it's an Alan Wong's restaurant also). The best deal in town is the Waikiki trolley tour - park free at the ward farmer's market and buy your ticket at the ward warehouse (small stand in the middle of the shopping strip). You can ride and tour all day and see downtown Honolulu major sights (the driver narrates a tour and answers questions - don't forget to tip). We went into Chinatown - it is a DO NOT MISS!! and checked out the markets - bought a beautiful and fragrant double lei for $15. It takes you into Waikiki, the Iolani palace, the Ala Moana Center and even close to Diamond Head (but I prefer to drive there). I had the impression that Oahu was going to be like the 495 Beltway of D.C. (true around 4 pm) but that is NOT all there is to this beautiful island. You have missed the beauty of Oahu if you only go to Waikiki/ Honolulu - the North Shore is to die for! We discovered a small shrimp business on the side of the road where there are dozens of pools of shrimp beds and they scoop them out, cook them and serve langostinos (taste like small lobsters) or shrimp cooked various ways - it made us feel like we were back in the Costa del Sol of Spain! the Mai Tai at Jameson's was a disappointment - way too strong w/ very little fresh juice. We played the Ko Olina golf course which was fairly easy and beautiful - lots of waterfalls, ponds, and swans. The tunnel thru the mountains on H-3 (highway thru center of island) was awesome - I felt like we were on a disney ride! We skipped Pearl Harbor due to the lond wait - the north shore was a good trade!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the great trip report, looks like I may change my plans a little to squeeze Alan Wongs in. I leave on Friday.

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:45 AM

We liked the North Shore area as well.
Definitely worth the trip out of Waikiki to see.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:15 PM

Do you think I would like Alan Wongs if I don't eat seafood?
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:16 PM

And where are the hammerheads? I would like to show my daughter.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

The hammerheads are in the lagoon pool behind the lobby in the Ilhiani Hotel in Ko Olina (Western part of Oahu). They have a demonstration there (for the guests) every few days w/ the hammerheads and the manta rays in the pools (you could go, guest or not - call ahead to ask when the demo is).
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Island Mom, I don't know. I brought home a "mini-menu" that I picked up there and some other items offerred were:
-Kiawe Wood Grilled Beef Tenderloin
-Braised Chinese Roast Duck Leg
-Pan stew of Shrimp, and Clams w/ Penne Pasta
I forgot to mention the appetizers we had that were super! Hot Califonia Rolls made from lobster mousse w/ crab avocado stuffing and Nori Wrapped Tempura Ahi w/ ginger and soy mustard sauce. They have a dessert called 5 spoonfuls of Brulee - creme brulee w/ assorted liquor flavors.
They are renowned for being one of the best restaurants in Hawaii (see Fodors dining section). Our waiter was named Brian Martin - he was fantastic w/ suggestions for our meal - if you make reservations, ask to sit in his section. I really believe he made a difference in our dining experience. Oh yeah, they had this great drink called a POLYNESIAN PARALYSIS - it was almost the #1 drink we had in Hawaii. It's almost worth it to go there for a drink. Most of their menu, though is fish.