Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

It's winter and there's no money and no beach in sight....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 08:41 AM
shivery

So what's your favorite way to deal with February blahs when you can't actually get away? I'm stuck in the upper Midwest with several inches of snow on the ground and a howling wind bending the cedars outside the window. So this morning, for instance, I laid abed and read a book of humorous travel essays. When I shower, I fantasize that when I pull back the curtain, it will be on a vista of blooming bougainvillea...Next year, I vow - I'll stockpile some beach sand to spread around the l.r. floor for a picnic....Other ideas???

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Augie

Please continue to take your Prozac.

what a nut!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Tricia

Hey Shivery,
I, too, just hate the "blahness" of February!
Look ahead and think about what warm destinations you would like to visit.
Read a good book ~ takes you somewhere else.
Exercise - yeah, believe it or not, you will be wearing a bathing suit again.
Take advantage of some great sales at the mall!
The sun came out 2 days this past week here, and each day we're adding about 2 minutes of daylight....
Can't wait for Spring!!!!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Santa

Augie must live in a place where it's sunny and warm.
Some people have no idea what it is like to live without sun for months at a time in freezing cold temps.
It really sucks.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Cindy

That's when the "World Wide net" comes in handy! I'll surf for a loooong time, then tell my husband I just got back from New Orleans, the Keys, the Caribbean, California with Kal....whatever wherever it's warm and fun. Sigh.......yeah, I've got the winter blues, too and it was actually 62 degrees here in Ohio yesterday. What a tease!!!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 11:00 AM
NiC

Hi, shivery-there is no snow here but it is grey and cold out and I long to see flowers and green things, and to not have to wear a coat!
I read these travel boards for ideas about our next trips, read house magazines for ideas to make home cozier while having to stay inside so much, and I plan our garden...yeah, may be boring to some,but it helps get through the blah days.
And movies, we go to movies all the time, just got back from seeing Nicole Kidman in Birthday Girl.
Cheers~

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Near Milwaukee?

If you're anywhere near Milwaukee, go to the domes in the Mitchell Park Conservatory, 524 S. Layton Blvd.

They have a tropical, rainforest dome and an arid, desert dome. Take a book, find a bench and spend some hours in a warm paradise. Those domes helped me get through three harsh Chicago winters!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:10 AM
xxx

Rent some good travel movies like Enchanted April which takes place in Italy in the spring (the book is excellent too). It helps to be active too. Go out on a sunny day even if it's cold, bundle up. Go cross country skiing and enjoy the scenery. I agree with everyone else about the blahs. I have been grumpy since the holidays and cannot seem to shake it.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:19 AM
xxx

this is turning out to be a terrible winter on the east coast with little to no snow for skiing. I was just thinking as I went out to bone chilling winds to pick up some cold sandwhiches that this is really like the July of summer. ...And you know that July is so close to September. WE ARE ALMOST OUT OF THE WOODS FOLKS. We have February then March than the sun comes home to Tara!!! ...that is the way I like to think about it anyway. April is atleast showing us the birth of a new spring. ALOHA!!!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:22 AM
xxx

In the mean time I am going to a slack key concert (Hawaiian Guitar Music) in NYC, tonight! LOL

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Lynn

I'm with "Near Milwaukee?", who suggested the conservatory--but you don't necessarily have to live near Milwaukee. Lots of cities have conservatories or botannical gardens. When I lived in Minnesota, I used to go to a terrific conservatory in St. Paul during the long winter months, and it really lifted my spirits. Suddenly, when everything outside is dead and frozen, you're looking at beautiful green plants and breathing relatively moist, humid air--it was a great pick-me-up when the winds were howling and there was a foot or more of snow on the ground. Go for it!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Alan Cleveland

Why not put some effort into enjoying the winter? Once, in Oregon with some friends, we went to a snow park. In addition to beating ourselves stupid on the innertubes at nearly the speed of sound, we occasionally took to the air for a birds-eye view. Landing without the innertube (which is always the case) can be an invigorating experience!

Still, all of the painful memories aside, we had a great time. Built a fire, cooked chili and hot cocoa.

Rather than viewing winter with disdain, you ought to be sucking the life out of it... Relatively speaking, there aren't that many winters in a person's life. And, by the time they reach the figurative winter in their lives, they will feel incomplete for not enjoying those that they had in reality.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:58 AM
xxx

NORMALLY I WOULD BE WITH YOU BUT THERE IS NO SNOW IT ENJOY ON THE EAST COAST
I do enjoy reading more though.

www.surfinglive.com select live cam if you have dsl than select high and see live webcams of North Shore Oahu beaches sometimes the big waves. Waikiki always looks sunny if bump inot rain. I love watching sunrise here 12pm EST.

Bonsai pipeline seems to have the most majestic view.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 11:12 AM
bj

I started using tanning beds in February years ago and it makes a world of difference. I know there is a lot of concern about skin cancer but I'm not talking about getting burned over and over. In fact, I completely cover my face and only stay in for 10 minutes or less. A couple weeks of 3 days or more my SAD is gone and I can actually start to enjoy the remaining winter.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 02:31 PM
LAWoman

Hollywood hit 85 degrees yesterday and it's another nice day here in LA. Can't really relate to the February blahs. Kind of makes me wonder why so many people on this board complain about LA.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Barbara

Down here in San Diego, we also are benefitting from the Santa Ana with much higher than normal temperatures. We also have a raging, out-of-control, massive (over 3000 acres) brush fire which has destroyed quite a few homes and a couple of fire trucks and has forced over 200 people to be evacuated.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 07:59 PM
shivery

Been seeing that Sand Diego fire on the news here...and it certainly makes a little cold and drear seem preferable - even to the "weather alert banner" that ran under the evening's Olympic coverage, a 'high wind warning' that cautioned folks to be sure to put out of harm's way their lawn furniture and garbage cans. It's February in Packerland - I'd've thought the spouse and I were the ONLY ones needed to be chided to put away lawn furniture.

Enjoy reading the other suggestions.
...One of the reasons for the deep blahs here, however...is that the Milwaukee domes (a great place!) are three hours away and any serious mall shopping (another suggestion) is an hour and a half away.....But I did think it would be interesting to hear others' fantasies and strategies for getting through this last, longest leg of winter - esp when the budget doesn't put any getaway on the near calendar.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Sarah

Went to Hawaii Slack key festival last night where I saw Hula, heard stories about growing up in Hawaii. Best of all at the break they gave out fresh flowers leis flown in from Hawaii. Best winter night yet!!! This was the end of a 23 city tour. I suggest those of you looking for this in your area that you check out calendar events at www.mele.com they show Hawaiian music events through out the U.S.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 06:07 AM
pw

bj: You don't have to get burned in a tanning bed to suffer their ill effects - 10 minutes is more than enough to damage your skin, and covering your face won't protect you from melanoma. Those nasty beds should be banned.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Lenore

Why are you "stuck" in the upper Midwest? I am originally from the Midwest and don't miss those winters at all. Now that I've lived in the South for over 20 years (half my life) I can't imagine ever going back to scraping ice from the INSIDE of my windshield or putting on a heavy coat and boots just to get the mail! Granted the summers here are long, hot and muggy....but it's still better than cold and snow! If you can't find something good about your winters, then I suggest moving to a warmer climate. I will never regret leaving the Midwest...and will never go back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -