Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Itinerary suggestions/advice for driving fr PAlto/Sequoia/GC/LV/Palo Alto (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/itinerary-suggestions-advice-for-driving-fr-palto-sequoia-gc-lv-palo-alto-1025822/)

kensky Sep 18th, 2014 10:41 AM

Itinerary suggestions/advice for driving fr PAlto/Sequoia/GC/LV/Palo Alto

I plan to drive to Sequoia, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas in early November with my wife and son. I will be travelling from Palo Alto and below are my itinerary/stopover:-
Day 1 - Palo Alto to Sequoia Nat Park (1 night)
Day 2 - Barstow (1 night)
Day 3 - Williams (1 night)
Day 4 & 5 - LV (2 nights)
Day 6 - Bakersfield (1 night)
Day 7 - Back to Palo Alto
Appreciate if anyone can tell is it ok with this itinerary/stopover?

Thank you.

MichelleY Sep 18th, 2014 11:59 AM

Skip Barstow and Williams. Go straight to the Grand Canyon and stay in the park at the rim. Keep checking on line or call, call, call for a room. Skip Bakersfield and press thru and spend the night in Paso Robles. Take 101 north to Palo Alto. More scenic.

janisj Sep 18th, 2014 02:35 PM

Staying overnight n <i>Barstow, Williams</i> AND <i>Bakersfield</i> . That is a trifecta.

Williams is OK if you can't get into the park - But Bakersfield and Barstow are best driven through (and then only if one <i>must</i>).

kensky Sep 18th, 2014 07:48 PM

I was driving from Sequoia heading to Williams (Grand Canyon). Is there any other option where to stop along the way as if go straight will be too long driving. Same as well when I choose to stop at bakersfield when leaving LV back to Palo Alto. Any better option pls.

MichelleY Sep 18th, 2014 07:59 PM

Sequoia to Williams is 8 hours. To GC, 9. All day drives. LV to Paso Robles is 6 hours. Another all day drive. Nothing great in between.

janisj Sep 18th, 2014 08:46 PM

>> Is there any other option where to stop along the way as if go straight will be too long driving<<

Its either drive loooooong . . . or stay in an armpit.

But instead of Bakersfield (or Barstow for that matter) consider Tehachapi. Not super fabulous but the better option since it is in the hills.

gb944 Sep 19th, 2014 03:22 AM

Barstow! Gateway to Hell!

mpflim Sep 19th, 2014 08:13 AM

If you choose to stay in Barstow, a hotel with a Lenwood Road address (just south of Barstow)and near the Outlets, might be a better location than in town.

seeyalater Sep 20th, 2014 06:18 PM

Tehachapi may be in the hills but it is too small to have many hotels or restaurants. The OP looks like he will just be eating dinner and sleeping so not much else matters. I go to Bakersfield for business and while it is not a tourist mecca it does have some good restaurants and lots of choices for hotels.

janisj Sep 20th, 2014 09:24 PM

>> but it is too small to have many hotels or restaurants.<<

There are plenty of hotels in Tehachapi: A Fairfirld Inn, HI Express, La Quinta, a Best western and several non-chain motels.

kensky Sep 25th, 2014 06:20 AM

Ok. noted. Thanks for the advise