Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Itinerary ideas first two weeks of September, flyfishing and sightseeing (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/itinerary-ideas-first-two-weeks-of-september-flyfishing-and-sightseeing-358234/)

greynomadnz May 11th, 2008 01:11 AM

Itinerary ideas first two weeks of September, flyfishing and sightseeing

My Partner(67) and I(54), disembark from our cruise in Seward, plan to bus to Anchorage, pick up hire car, flyfish at Talkeetna, on to Denali for 3 nights then head to Kenai for remainder of time. Do we need to book all our accommodation before arriving or is it a bit quieter being the end of the season? We like to be flexible and stop somewhere longer if we are enjoying it. Would like to stay in B&B's, any recommendations?

repete May 11th, 2008 07:40 AM

If you are fly anglers,I'd suggest a drift boat trip on the Upper Kenai. Spectacular colors, beautiful water and excellent rainbow and Dolly Varden fishing.

There are also small streams off the Parks and Glenn highways with grayling fishing. You might want devote a day (maybe trip Denali to two days) to a Glenn Highway sidetrip the streams around Sheep Mountain Lodge. It can be lovely there at that time of the year.

greynomadnz May 11th, 2008 10:53 AM

Thanks for that info. would we stop overnight at Sheep Mountain Lodge? What town is nearest to the fishing for grayling?

repete May 13th, 2008 06:49 PM

Sheep Mountain would make a nice overnight. Some details are on the link. The Glenn Highway is beautiful at that time of the year.

http://www.bellsalaska.com/myalaska/glenhwy_pg1.html

If you are really ambitious and your hire car allows, you could take the Denali "Highway" to the lakes and streams around Paxson, which have excellent grayling fishing. That would take a day or two off your Kenai time.

tigerman99515 May 14th, 2008 09:36 AM

I agree with repete, Denali Highway fishing for grayling is special. But beware, September could be snow and you do not want to get stuck on that road since it is not maintained year round.
Are you bringing rods of different weight? Fishing for grayling is not the same as fishing for rainbows on the Kenai.
Since you are coming in from so far (nz it sounds like), I might consider a two day trip to Yakutat for unbelievable steelhead.
Check this site for fishing reports -
http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...ishreport.html

greynomadnz May 14th, 2008 07:49 PM

Plans are going well, hire car organised and have splurged on a trip to Orca Lodge with the alaskan ladies fly fishing club 9-12 sept. 29 Aug head to Talkeetna then on to Denali, then thought we would go up to Fairbanks and down to Paxson area. Then along to Glenallen, Palmer that sounds like our sort of place. Kenai for three nights should be just base ourselves in one spot, I thought Soldotna, perhaps. I don't like the idea of snow though! So should we be doing the above itinerary any further than Denali? Have now decided to fly out on the 14th Sept back to NZ.
Comments please.

tigerman99515 May 15th, 2008 08:51 AM

Outside of Anchorage, most of Alaska is pretty laid back/easy and going - much like NZ.
Fairbanks will be pretty slow but Kenai Peninsula will still have a few tourists around because of fall fishing and tour companies operating.
Not familiar with Orca Lodge - where is that? Women flyfishers is most likely with 'Pudge' - quite an active and interesting lady.
Probably you won't run into snow unless you get to higher elevation (Denali Park or perhaps freak storm in South Central AK which could result in snow over Turnagain Pass) - that would be unlikely however not unheard of. Weather during day will be 50's F with nights around freezing.

greynomadnz May 15th, 2008 11:17 AM

Orca lodge is at Cordova, and yes it is Pudge, I have been getting the ladies flyfishing newsletter and that is how I knew about the trips.
Not looking forward to driving in Anchorage, as we pick the car up downtown on Friday of holiday weekend, 8/29!!!
Yes, Alaska does remind me of NZ especially in Denali with the braided rivers. Have been watching some videos on Alaska.org website.

repete May 15th, 2008 02:59 PM

I've heard folks saw NZ is like Alaska with sheep. Not really true for much of the state, but there certainly some similarities and both are among my favorite places.

Don't speed too much time in Fairbanks ... not much decent fishing there, it will be fairly dead at that time of the year and it's not that exciting of a place to begin with.

Cordova is fantastic ... not quite the Russell of AK but a cool fishing town.

tigerman99515 May 15th, 2008 04:10 PM

Cordova is a great area.

repete - do you think it possible to still fish for Grayling along the lakes on the Denali Hwy that time of year? NZ is coming down Richardson Hwy via Fairbanks. I don't recall specifically what lakes (I walked into several not far off the road) but I do remember incredible fishing when the ice comes off the lakes in May/June. And those lakes seemed to be closer to the Paxson side than the Cantwell side of the Denali HWY.

repete May 15th, 2008 05:48 PM

In the first 25 miles or so in from Paxson, there are a number of good choices.

Yeah, it could be nippy, but I don't think there will be ice. If so, there should be some river/creek options.

FYI, here's a nice story on the Tangle Lakes area.

http://xrl.us/bkmg3

greynomadnz May 16th, 2008 02:25 AM

Just catching up on your comments after spending lots of time booking flights, accommodation etc. Once we have been to Denali we will decide which way to go once we get a weather report. I do like the idea of Paxson but our hire car is only small and may disappear down a pothole! Will still head around Sheep Mountain Lodge though. I thought I might visit Father Xmas if we go to Fairbanks and put in for a new rod! Im bringing a Sage 6 weight and other half has a Hardy 5 weight or a Kilwell 7 weight, Pudge will provide us with 8 weight rods at Orca lodge. Hope we see some wildlife while there. Would be good to catch a grayling though. Checked out the Tangle lakes link, very good. What about catching an Arctic Char?

tigerman99515 May 16th, 2008 08:33 AM

I would be less concerned with the weather with you than with other folk. As Kiwis, I don't think you will find it all that different from what you are used to. Fishing in the rain in cool conditions while properly attired, I would imagine would be your element.
I have caught Arctic Char in Southwest Alaska (Bristol Bay) but those were the ocean going variety (6 or 7 lbs in weight) and cousins to the lake species of Dolly Vardens. At least that is what I knew about them. I know little about the ones found in lakes other than they are pretty tasty.
Pudge will be all over that.
6 weight rod should be fine for lake fishing - the 8 weight you will get from her should cover the rest - she knows her stuff.
If there was anyway to get on those grayling in the Paxson area, I would do it - nice fighting fish and a great opportunity in a beautiful area.
Buy some pepper spray for bears when you get here - they will be bulking up for winter and will be actively feeding prior to hibernation.

Bill_H May 16th, 2008 08:54 AM

If you wish to fish for football sized rainbows with some large furry Alaskans then Sept is the perfect time to fly-out to Katmai, if even for a day.

This is what you can expect on some streams ...
http://www.pbase.com/hilton_photography/image/88795624

Bill

greynomadnz May 16th, 2008 05:49 PM

Yes, would like to fish near Paxson. Checked out that bear picture Bill and I was looking forward to my fishing trip until I saw that! Only joking. I,ve heard Arctic char are good eating we never eat the trout we catch here, just take a photo and release.

greynomadnz May 16th, 2008 09:51 PM

Forgot to say yes a day trip to Katmai would be wonderful unfortunately our budget has been blown already.