Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Itinerary help on Oahu (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/itinerary-help-on-oahu-1088128/)

Maggie101 Feb 28th, 2016 01:42 PM

Itinerary help on Oahu

We will arrive on Oahu at noon on a Friday in April and are staying in Waikiki until Tuesday when we will leave on a cruise. We lived on this island years ago so we have toured the must see areas. Our main goal for these few days is snorkeling. At the moment our plan...
Friday
Relax at the beach at the hotel
Saturday
We have been told that the snorkeling in the Ko Olina area is wonderful so we had thought we would head there on Saturday morning. Is our information correct that this is a must see and snorkel area?
Will we have any problems since we are not staying at the Aulani or other area hotels? I am sure that the beaches are accessible but will we be able to rent a chair? Get drink service etc.? Is this a good idea??
Sunday
Our friends are touring Pearl Harbor so we will drop them off while we check out old haunts in the Hickam/Pearl Harbor/Salt Lake area. When we pick them back up we planned a driving tour around the island heading up to the North Shore. What stops would you suggest along the way? Their tour starts at 9am. Is this too much for one day?
Monday
Up and out early to Hanama Bay for the day
Tuesday
Unkown??? Relax at the hotel and head to the pier mid afternoon

Is there a beach that we must snorkel at or spend the day at that would be better than the Ko Olina area. Am I missing something? I admit that I know very little about Ko Olina, when we lived there (long long ago) I don't think much was over there.

Oh and I guess while I am asking for suggestions how about great eats? Waikiki area, Ko Olina, North Shore, Turtle Bay, any suggestions? I think that all of our favorites from long long ago are gone. My husband LOVED Patty's Chinese Kitchen :-)

Thanks for your thoughts

Patty Feb 28th, 2016 02:15 PM

I've only snorkeled at lagoon 2 at Ko Olina. There are usually a couple of resident sea turtles and some small reef fish but IME the water isn't as clear and there aren't as many fish as at Hanuama Bay. It's fine if you're staying there but I wouldn't necessarily drive to Ko Olina to snorkel. I'm not sure if you can rent a beach chair a Aulani. I believe the Marriott timeshare at lagoon 3 may rent their cabana chairs. There are small public parking lots adjacent to lagoons 1, 2 and 3 that fill up quickly particularly on weekends. There's a larger lot at lagoon 4 near the marina. I imagine you could also pay for parking at one of the resorts. I'd go early if you're planning on a Saturday.

Maggie101 Feb 29th, 2016 06:10 AM

Thanks Patty! So if Ko Olina snorkel day is dropped what would be highlights we should not miss? It has been 35 years since I lived on Oahu.

carolyn Feb 29th, 2016 04:12 PM

I lived on Oahu 60 years ago and have been back eight times, some of those trips with other islands added in. Oahu is my magic place, and I never tire of seeing the same things there. We always rent a car and drive around the island one day, stopping in Haliewa for a meal and a shave ice. Drive up Tantalus and stop at Punchbowl Cemetery. Iolani Palace has been redone and is beautiful. The Aloha Tower area is neat, as is Chinatown.

Breakfast at the Hau Tree Lanai in the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel is great, and we like Lulu's on Waikiki for their banana and mac nut pancakes.

Maggie101 Mar 1st, 2016 11:41 AM

Carolyn, I cannot thank you enough for your suggestions. I look forward to going back also. I wish my memory was better but your suggestions are waking it up LOL!! Thanks!

Shar Mar 2nd, 2016 03:01 PM

I don't know why but I think there is no snorkeling on tuesday at Hanuama Bay. U might want to check that. 2nd breakfast and dinner at Hua Tree easy walk through the park. Great beach there as well

Inakauaidavidababy Mar 2nd, 2016 03:15 PM

When we visit, my priority is visiting the Palace where Queen Lili was put under house arrest when the US Government and Sugar Kings stole Hawaii.

Shar Mar 4th, 2016 01:09 PM

Nice music on Friday at the Palace outdoors. Great Hawaiian usic sbd hula FREE too