Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

itinerary help for Fayetteville to Raleigh sidetrip

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Tess

Several Fodorites gave me good advice a few months ago regarding an upcoming trip to North Carolina that I'm taking with my elderly mother.

Well, the trip is this week and our plans have changed so I'm once again relying on you North Carolina experts! We are traveling to Fayetteville for a family event then will have a couple of days to make our way back to the airport at Raleigh-Durham (with a rental car). Originally I thought we'd zip over to Asheville but am getting the feeling that my mom would rather not spend that much time in the car.

So what do we do? We both enjoy putzing around the back roads and seeing quaint towns and shopping (although we're not really antique hunters) but I'm coming up blank on my searches. Mom had mentioned Pinehurst but we're not golfers. I wouldn't be opposed to a spa visit somewhere, though

Any suggestions on what to do and where to stay? I suppose we'll stay in Raleigh/Durham the last night--hotel suggestions (that are nicer than Super 8 but not $300)?

Thanks for your help. Usually DH does all the driving but he's not going on this journey--at this point I'm pretty sure I'd be letting down my mom totally as we wander the Piedmont aimlessly!

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:32 AM
GoTravel

I would spend a couple days in Wilmington instead of Raleigh. Downtown Wilmington is particularly lovely.

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Tess

I would love to go to Wilmington but this trip we're sticking to the areas somewhat around the Fayetteville to Raleigh route.

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With I-40 it's very easy to get from Wilmington to Raleigh. About 2 1/2 hours of interstate driving between the two.

I'm not a spa person, so no recommendations from me.

For the last night's hotel near the airport, look for something around exit 287 or 289 from I-40. OR you could stay in the Crabtree area of Raleigh (near a mall) and take Glenwood (a/k/a US 70) to I-540 (loop) to the airport.

Hmm, how about from Fayetteville, head over to Pinehurst (that will put you on the backroads), then either head up US 1 to Raleigh OR continue on back roads to US 220 (future I-something) and head towards Asheboro. In that area is the potters of Seagrove. Asheboro has the zoo, if you're interested and from Asheboro head off towards the Triad (Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem) or the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill).

For less driving, I'd go with Wilmington. They have antique stores along Front Street. I'm sure there is a spa or two in the town. Also have lovely gardens and the USS North Carolina. From Fayetteville you could take backroads to Wilmington (I think you have to, but I don't have a map in front of me).
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Being from NC I must say that you become some what jaded and forget that there are landmarks or places that should be visited.

One great place is the museuem of history in downtown. Great Civil War display as well as a good history on the state.

Go by the Capitot. Literally still untouched since Civil War days.

NC State has a great campus but Hillsborough street is great to hit for lunch.

Pinehurst has a great spa. It's literally just the spa at Pinehurst.

If you come via I-95 Smithfield has the pottery to stop and shop at. You can go to the Eva Gardner museum.

There is a book on traveling the back roads of NC. It's one of those things that you don't think about when you are from there. We all have a little town that we stop off in to get lunch or shop.

Now that the highways are so well connected that is how everyone gets around and I really don't think anyone thinks of back roads any longer in the Triangle area.

If in Raleigh and you like seafood 42nd Street is still wonderful.

Sonnyside is now open in Clayton. It's not as good as the original but still fun.

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:41 AM
GoTravel

Is there anything between Fayetteville and Raleigh besides Southern Pines?

I can't see spending two days sightseeing between Raleigh and Fayetteville but maybe someone else can help you.

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:06 AM

From the Bidding For Travel Priceline hotels, here are some suggestions. I'm not suggesting Priceline for your situation, but some hotels to look at. Airport and RTP locations should be quiet at night because not much goes on at the airport or office park at night. Crabtree area would put you in Raleigh city limits, but pretty close to the airport. As a resident of the area, I've never stayed in any of the hotels listed.

Airport (RDU)

2.5 Star
Courtyard by Marriott Raleigh Airport
Residence Inn Raleigh Airport
Hilton Garden Inn
Country Inn & Suites Raleigh Airport

2 Star
TownePlace Suites
La Quinta Raleigh Airport

1 Star
Baymont Inn
StudioPLUS Deluxe Studios Raleigh/Cary

Raleigh Crabtree area

3 Star
Raleigh Marriott Crabtree Valley
Holiday Inn Crabtree Valley

2.5 Star
Residence Inn Crabtree Valley

2 Star
La Quinta Inn Raleigh Crabtree
Candlewood Suites
Hampton Inn Raleigh Crabtree Valley
Fairfield Inn & Suites Crabtree Valley

1 Star
Homestead Suites

Research Triangle Park

3 Star
Wyndham Raleigh Durham - Research Triangle Park
Radisson Research Triangle Park
Doubletree Guest Suites Marriott at Research Triangle Park
Hilton Raleigh Durham Airport at Research Triangle Park

2.5 Star
Courtyard by Marriott RTP
Residence Inn

2 Star
Extended Stay Deluxe - Miami Blvd. (former 2.5* Wellesley Inn & Suites) Homestead Studio Suites Candlewood Suites
La Quinta Inn Durham/RTP (this is in Durham, close to the Streets at SouthPoint mall)
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:09 PM

In addition to some of frenchtoile's suggestions, and looking at the map, I might head from Fayetteville over to Southern Pines and tool around there for a while.

Out of Southern Pines, I'd take Rt. 1 north, then maybe Hwy. 64 to swing over to Jordan Lake. I think it's a very nice lake. I personally like the little beach at the Ebenezer Church Recreation area. You could just drive through the parks (if you say you're just driving through, the park rangers may let you go through for free).

Then, you could head over to Pittsboro on Hwy 64, and then up 15 to Chapel Hill, or straight up Farrington Point Road, past Fearrington (south of Chapel Hill). Fearrington is a very nice Inn, with a spa - if you wanted to treat yourself to a more luxurious accomodation. (www.fearrington.com)

Then, I'd head down through Chapel Hill, before heading to Raleigh. Downtown Raleigh is nice, and there's the Art Museum.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Tess

Thanks to you all for your advice. I'm printing this thread out and taking it along.

I'm a little apprehensive about this trip as I've never spent time in this region (other than an overnight stop or two at my aunt and uncle's house). Guess it will be a true adventure!

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 04:49 PM

I would head through the backroads to Pinehurst and check out the shops and then up to Seagrove to see the beautiful pottery shops (could be an entire trip). Then head up 64 to Raleigh. It is a beautiful drive...especially this time of year.

Hope it is not too late-