Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Itinerary from Scottsdale, GC, Sedona, and back (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/itinerary-from-scottsdale-gc-sedona-and-back-320307/)

jbella27 Mar 10th, 2008 10:19 AM

Itinerary from Scottsdale, GC, Sedona, and back

Hi,

I will be making a trip to Arizona in July and would like to have some feedback for some recommendations for an (5-6 day) itinerary. We will be staying in Scottsdale and our definite points of interest are the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and a few other sites that we are trying to decide between: Montezuma Castle, Red Rock State Park, and/or Slide Rock. We definitely plan on staying a night at the Grand Canyon, could anyone recommend a hotel in or near the Canyon from the area we will be coming from? I would love to visit an Indian reservation, but I don't know if there is one nearby. Also, if you have any other additions or sights that you highly recommend seeing that would be great.

USNR Mar 10th, 2008 10:24 AM

Look at any Arizona map, and you will see that the state's northeastern quarter is almost entirely owned by the Navajo or the Hopi people. From Flagstaff, you can make a circle -- northwest to the Grand Canyon, along its southern rim, see the canyon of the Little Colorado River, down to Cameron, and back to Flagstaff on 89. All sorts of places to see along the way -- Indian ruins, volcanic peaks, trails galore.

bigtyke Mar 10th, 2008 01:40 PM

I agree with USNR about the loop from Grand Canyon to Cameron. In Cameron, you can go to the trading post and have great Fry Bread.

Then go to the Navajo store that is run by the tribe. A good place for Jewelry and other items. We went the day after Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and it was full of Navajos doing Christmas shopping.

On the way back then go thru Sunset Crater/Wupatki National Monument. great Indian ruins that you can visit close up - not like Montezuma's Castle where you can just look from below. At the main Wupatki ruin, be sure to go all the way down to the ball court and blowhole.

Plenty of places to stay in Flagstaff. I would stay there at least 2 nights and take an entire (and very long) day to do the loop to the Grand Canyon as outlined.

I would then go the next day down Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona (going down is much better viewing that the route up the canyon, plus you are on the inside lane which makes for less nervous driving.

jbella27 Mar 10th, 2008 03:19 PM

Hi,

So would you recommend taking I-17 north to get to Grand Canyon and coming back down the same way into Flagstaff?

USNR Mar 10th, 2008 05:55 PM

Interstate 17 connects Phoenix with Flagstaff. I-17 ends where it connects with I-40 (east-west) at Flagstaff.

From Flagstaff, take 180 northwest where it connects with 64 and then on into Grand Canyon National Park. Then 64 goes east past Desert View and goes down to Cameron connecting with 89, and it will take you back to Flagstaff. Many sights and things to do along the way.

Take I-17 south from Flagstaff a few miles where it connects with 89A, down Oak Creek Canyon, and into Sedona, a distance of about 30 miles. From Sedona back to Phoenix: take 89A west from Sedona to Cottonwood (20 miles), south on 260 to Camp Verde where it connects with I-17. While in Sedona, stop at the Chamber of Commerce Visitors' Center (89A & Forest Road) for complete information about what to see & do.