Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   itinerary for trip to asheville, charleston, savanah (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/itinerary-for-trip-to-asheville-charleston-savanah-489133/)

eotner Dec 4th, 2004 07:05 AM

itinerary for trip to asheville, charleston, savanah

We want to go to aAshville, Savannah and Charleston. We will be driving from New Jersey. Wwe plan to stay one night before we get to Asheville. Plan to go to Savannah, Then Charleston and then home. Will stay out one night on way home. How many night stay in each place. ( plan to leave Dec 29 and return home on Dec 29.Thanks for advice. Dave

Tandoori_Girl Dec 4th, 2004 12:15 PM

Dave, my advice to you is to give this a once-over and let us know just how long you'll be staying. You state you're leave AND return Dec. 29. Short trip!

Gretchen Dec 4th, 2004 12:35 PM

Do you have a lot invested in staying in each of these places? It's a pretty good haul from NJ and it is a good sized triangle. I am not a big fan of Savannah vis a vis Charleston. If you must go to Savannah (long drive from Charleston), one night is plenty. Charleston deserves several, and one or so in Asheville--a 5 hour drive from Charleston.
I think you will also have an overnight stay on your return trip, with this itinerary, whether from Charleston or Asheville.
I would just go down the coast--visit Wilmington, NC for a nice small historic city. You could probably make that in one day from NJ--take I95 to I40 to Wilmington. Drive down Route 17 to Charleston. Beaufort, SC, is a lovely old historic city below Charleston.

eotner Dec 4th, 2004 01:13 PM

Please excuse tyypos. we plan to leave from n.j. on Dec 19, return home late dec 29. Question was how many days to stay in each spot. PlAN TO GO TO ASHVILLE FIRST TO SEE bILTMORE ESTATE.tHEN GO TO SAVANAH. fROM sAVANAH TO CHARLESTON AND THEN BACK HOME. aNY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PLACES TO STAY OR TIME TO SPEND IN EACH LOCATION. tHANKS dAVE

bonniebroad Dec 4th, 2004 01:43 PM

Eotner, I would drive all the way to Asheville the first day, spend two nights there. Then I'd drive to Savannah my third day, spending three nights there. Then back to Charleston for four nights, then back to Wilmington, NC for my last night, and back to New Jersey from there.

All these cities are favorites of ours. I will totally disagee with Gretchen, (as will many others here) about Savannah. It is wonderful and charming, and has just as many devotees as Charleston. I usually try to equally split my time between them. They are both great places to visit. I think your itinerary is very manageable in 10 days.

In Asheville, we've stayed at Richmond Hill Inn when we felt ritzy, and at the Holiday Inn Express near Biltmore Estate, and a Comfort Inn (where they allowed pets), when we didn't feel as flush. Perfect happy with all of them.

In Savannah, we have stayed at The Gastonian B&B - historic district (fabulous, but would not spend the money again), the Hyatt on River Street (love the location), and at a Clarion Inn in the suburbs (dog again! :-) )

In Charleston, we've been very happy at the Hampton Inn in the historic district, and also stayed at the Charleston Place hotel, which is fabulous, and should be for the bucks! We were also very pleased with a Comfort Inn in suburban Charleston this last time.

In Wilmington, we really like the Hilton right on the water. Also the Residence Inn in Wrightsville Beach.

Have a wonderful trip! :-)

ellen_griswold Dec 4th, 2004 02:51 PM

Hi Bonnie, we're trying to choose between Hampton Historic District and Doubletree Historic District for a late march visit -- which do you think is nicer? Doubletree appears to be closer, but is the Hampton still within walking distance to the various sites?

bonniebroad Dec 4th, 2004 07:00 PM

Ellen_Griswold, I'd go for Doubletree, in this case, because you can easily walk to all kinds of restaurants, shops, etc. from there. The Hampton Inn is at the edge of the historic district, across from the Visitor's Center, and though it's very nice, you need to hop the shuttles that stop at the Visitor's Center to get to most things (unless you love extremely long walks!!!!!!!) I've never stayed at a Doubletree, but they sound quite nice, a little more luxurious than Hampton Inn. You're going at a wonderful time of year....... perfect time for a trip there! :-)

gail Dec 5th, 2004 02:03 AM

Have stayed at Hampton Inn several times. It is one block from River Street, where many restaurants and shops sit right on the Savannah River. They have a nice breakfast in AM (included). Rooms are large and quiet.

ellen_griswold Dec 5th, 2004 04:47 AM

Thank you gail and bonnie! Gail, so being a bit further at the hampton is worth the savings, especially if its still a good location, right?

bonniebroad Dec 5th, 2004 04:52 AM

Ellen_Griswold....... Think our wires are crossed here!!! I thought you were talking about hotels in CHARLESTON. Gail is talking about hotels in SAVANNAH. Which one were you asking about? :-)

ellen_griswold Dec 5th, 2004 05:04 AM

Hi Bonnie! Hmmm, yes, i'm talking about charleston. Interesting! So it sounds like doubletree is the way to go, right! Thanks bonnie! :)

bonniebroad Dec 5th, 2004 05:25 AM

Ellen_Griswold, Gail could have been speaking to the O.P., not to us anyhoooooooo... :p Whatever, we're all clear now......

DonnaD44 Dec 5th, 2004 06:35 AM

We stayed at the Doubletree just a couple of weeks ago, and while it was a lovely hotel in a great spot, we had one problem. We asked for a non-smoking room and were given one with a NS placard in the room, but the odor of smoke was pervasive throughout the room--I couldn't breathe. The desk shrugged it off and did nothing to make us feel better about the situation, and no other rooms.
P.S. We love Savannah and would give it at least 3 days.

laurelee Dec 5th, 2004 07:48 AM

My mother and I will be in Charleston and Savannah in early April and are considering one of the historic home and garden tours offered. Any tips or suggestions on those? Thanks.

gail Dec 5th, 2004 10:24 AM

I am now totally confused. Hampton Inn Historic District Savannah is the hotel I was speaking of.

pat Dec 5th, 2004 05:29 PM

We really enjoyed the Hampton Inn in Savannah. it a good location, close to the river walk. We walked all over, and nothing was that far away.

ellen_griswold Dec 6th, 2004 02:58 PM

Oops! I was initially referring to charleston (and we're staying at the doubletree) but have now added savannah and will stay at the hampton. Thanks, all!

MWM1 Dec 6th, 2004 05:42 PM

You may want to look into The Westin in Savannah. It is across the river from the town and has a free and convenient boat shuttle right to the riverfront. While in Asheville be sure to stop in and visit The Grove Park Inn even if just for a drink and during the holidays they host the World Gingerbread House contest. Not sure how long the 100's of houses are on display though.

eotner Dec 7th, 2004 01:21 PM

I think Bonnie got in on my trip.That's ok.Spending 2nites asheville,3savannah,3charleston.is it enough for an oveerview .1 nite out back to nj and 1 nite out on way to asheville.Thanks for all input
Dave

bonniebroad Dec 7th, 2004 01:25 PM

eotner, sometimes people's trips/ideas get crossed on these threads! Sorry..... Hope you will have a wonderful time, and I think your days in each place are just right! :-)