Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Itinerary for June 29- July 5 for Young Couple

May 9th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

I have been to New York twice before in the last 4 years. My boyfriend however has not. We are two 23 year olds from Southern California. We like to go to bars and lounges that aren't too swanky, because we're really laid back beachy people... do dive bars would be a great suggestion. I want to make sure he has a good time. If you guys can read our itinerary and give suggestions, that would be great. Thank you so much in advance for helping us plan our trip!!!

June 29 (Sunday)-
-Buy subway passes
-Eat dinner
-Go dancing or drinking in/around Tribeca (where we’re staying)

June 30 (Monday)- *Downtown*
-Wall Street
-Ground Zero
-Ellis Island
-South Street Seaport
- Are there any guided tours downtown? Is the Wall street tour still around???

July 1st (Tuesday)-
-Spend morning/some afternoon in Tribeca, Soho, Greenwich walking around checking out the neighborhoods. Hopefully we can find a nice café to rest at and people watch and have lunch
-Go to Bryant Park and NY Library
-This is pretty much an open day… any suggestions for what we could do?

July 2nd (Wednesday)-
-Buy food from the Union Square Green Market in beginning of day
-Strawberry fields and The Dakota Building is a MUST
-Walking or bike tour or central park with a guide. (I’ve NEVER been to Central Park… so this should be really fun!)
-Picnic at the Jackie O Reservoir
-Maybe the Met at the end of the day?

July 3rd (Thursday)-
-Guided tour in the morning in Manhattan
-The yankees stadium tour?
-Yankees vs. Red Sox Baseball game

July 4th (Friday):
-Where can we see fireworks?!
-Are there any parades in the day???
-This would be an open day as well… I have no idea how holidays go in NYC

Saturday July 5th (Saturday):
-Go Home!

May 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Your itineary looks busy but doable. I would question whether Monday is possible with Ellis Island included. Maybe just do the Staten Island Ferry instead?

Do you have Yankees tickets already? They are going quick, and with it being the Red Sox, they may already be sold out. Would advise getting them ASAP. Warning: if you get bleacher seats, you cannot access other areas of the stadium. This may be ok if you do the tour earlier in the day.
May 9th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Ellis island does take a long time. Maybe he wouldn't want to go there anyway? I can fit that in on another day if we don't get to see it on that particular day.

Also- The reason of this trip is to go to the game I've been wanting to see a yanks/sox game for years! I can't miss the last year at the stadium!

Thanks!
May 9th, 2008, 02:18 PM
dmlove

Ellis Island is really interesting. It only takes a half day, and the rest could be spent Wall Street, Ground Zero and South Street Seaport. Or you could walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Actually all of the above is easily doable (if you get up early enough to get an early ferry).

May 9th, 2008, 02:28 PM

My 23 year old daughter loves this place: http://www.yelp.com/biz/wicked-willys-new-york
May 9th, 2008, 03:39 PM

Yankees/Red Sox games sell out the day they go on sale - so I assume you have tickets already. If not - you'll have to go to a scalper rand pay about triple face price.

Also - check about the tour of the Stadium, I thought that they do tours only on days the team isn;t playing - but I may be wrong - but you definitely need to reserve tours in advance.
May 9th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Nytraveler- The Yankees don't do any tours on days they have games? I was assuming the open the stadium early to do those tours. Well, thank you for letting me know. I wouldn't want to waste my time going up to the bronx early if that were the case.

Trippinkpj- I'm going to check out that website in a minute... i'll let you know what I think. Thanks!!!

Anyone else have suggestions for 4th of July? I have no idea what to do on that day yet...
May 10th, 2008, 06:13 AM

For fireworks, you might consider buying a ticket for the activities on Roosevelt Island. There are great views there, and also food and live music. I think tickets are around $20.

Pretty much all of the viewing locations are really crowded, so if you buy a ticket you'll at least be guaranteed a spot.

I couldn't find any information about this year's festivities, but keep checking back and you should find something soon!
May 10th, 2008, 07:41 AM

You should walk over the Brooklyn Bridge on July 4th, have dinner in Brooklyn and watch the fireworks from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. It is the best view you will find and there will be thousands of people out there partying and having fun. And then it is a very easy subway ride on the 2 train back to Tribeca.

May 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM

lovelyliezl -

There are 2 different things. There are guided tours of the stadium - which cost about $20, occur in the morning and give you a tour of the whole place, occur in groups - and I believe (but check the web site) they don;t do on game days. For these you MUST reserve in advance since groups are limited in size.

Separately, if you have tickets for a game you can go early and visit Monument Park (and only that area - not all the "backstage" areas of the stadium). You must there there very early - since Monument Park is on the far side of the Stadium and closes 45 minutes before the game starts. To enter you must have tickets for that game - but bleacher seats do NOT qualify - since bleachers are a separate section with a separate entrance.
May 10th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

tarheelsinnj, scottsara, nytraveler-

all of your advise is really great! I'm going to save all of this information, because I WILL use it! I don't know why I have not used Fodor's before... everyone is so great! Thank you all so much!!!
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM

The 4th here is alot of fun, there are concerts in Central Park and Battery Park.

There's also a huge street fair on Water St, from the Staten Island Ferry to the South St. Seaport, lots of stuff, food and people watching, lots of fun!! (I will be there in the afternoon)

The Seaport is a good place to watch the fireworks, since you can see all three barges and there are no buildings in front of you to block the views. The fireworks start around 9pm.