Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Itinerary for GNP (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/itinerary-for-gnp-614260/)

GNPWannabe May 9th, 2006 11:04 AM

Itinerary for GNP

A friend and I are planning on spending the second week of September at GNP. Where should we stay? Should we plan on splitting our time between 2 places? We're interested in day-long hikes and have about 5 days to spend in the park. We are looking for a moderately priced accomodation with amenities--ie.e running water and electricity. We think we're taking Amtrak to the park entrance and renting a car so we'll be pretty mobile.

CPPHOTO May 10th, 2006 10:07 AM

I would stay closest to where you are hiking. The west side of the park is my favorite. Lake McDonald Lodge is a great old place and should be avail.. might be somewhat pricey though. I have stayed in Whitefish or Columbia Falls. Hotels should be very reasonable that time of year as it is off season. You will also have more choices for food. Many Glacier is gorgeous, but you will have a long drive to get there-worth the drive. The lodge there might be pricey. I live in downtown Los Angeles and have spent time in many big cities, I did not feel safe in Browning Montana at night. Cant explain it, just a feeling. The Museum of the Plains Indian is there-havent been but hear its great. Bring warm clothes...I was there over 4th of July and it was 30 degrees one night. "The coldest winter I remember, was a summer in Montana". Im a photographer and try to travel as cheaply as possible. I pack a cooler for lunch and snacks. Food in the park is limited. Also check out Apgar Village...It is right on the shore of Lake McDonald-breathtaking, and most likely cheaper than Lake McDonald Lodge. GNP is my favorite place on the planet. Have a blast!

AuntAnnie May 10th, 2006 01:10 PM

Hi CPPHOTO!
I think I was in GNP on that cold July night!!
Did you dind a good hot latte' in the morning??

AuntAnnie May 10th, 2006 01:10 PM

I mean find, NOT dind!!

GNPWannabe May 12th, 2006 10:31 AM

Thank You, CPPhoto!! I appreciate your insight.

lthompson May 20th, 2006 09:09 PM

We were in Glacier last summer. Stayed at the Swift Current Motor Inn--the motel rooms, not the individual cabins--in the Many Glacier area. When we drove up, I said, "I don't think I can stay here." But the rooms were very neat and clean. I'd stay there again. Best thing is out back is the trail head for the hike to Iceberg Lake. Awesome!!! A wonderful hike. It starts out uphill but this lasts just a little ways. It is not a short hike, but is downhill(gradual) all the way home. I promise you, you will be well rewarded at the end.

Do not miss the drive over the Going to the Sun Road to West Glacier. Wonderful, but the best part is the hike to Hidden Lake (70 degrees and snow in late June) at Logan's Pass. Super!! Mountain goats were so close we could almost touch them. You can walk right on top of the snow. Beautiful.

I thought the west side was very pretty but much more crowded and much more touristy. We absolutely loved the east side. We also stayed the first night in a little place right near the park entrance--I think it was the Pines Motel. I didn't think I was going to be able to stay there, either, but it was charming inside. It was within walking distance to the Glacier Park Lodge. The man had been in business for 50 years and his father owned before him. Be sure to eat at the Thistleberry Restaurant.