Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   itinerary for first week in oct. in New Mexico? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/itinerary-for-first-week-in-oct-in-new-mexico-177473/)

leann Aug 19th, 2001 07:34 AM

itinerary for first week in oct. in New Mexico?

<BR>We are going to NM for the first time in Oct. Our thought is to drive from Albuquerque to Santa Fe for 3 nights then on to?? with a visit to Taos also. We are mostly looking forward to scenery, hiking and good food, but would like to get in some calm water kayaking and also golf. In Santa Fe we'ld like a hotel with a pool, then a more rural, scenic place to stay for the rest of the time. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks! Leann

Anonomous Aug 19th, 2001 03:58 PM

I would recommend staying at El Rey Inn in Santa Fe. <BR> <BR>The local Sierra Club has a guidebook to hikes around Santa Fe, and it is a wonderful resource. <BR> <BR>My favorite breakfast place in Santa Fe is Tecolote's. Cafe Pasqual's is also great for breakfast, and also serves lunch and dinner. Only problem is that it is always busy. And if you want to splurge, I highly recommend Santacafe!

Karen Sep 9th, 2001 11:53 AM

LeAnn, <BR> <BR>In Taos, you might try Casa Europa (they have a web site). 17th century hacienda; very romantic; make reservations well in advance; only 7 rooms; quiet; gourmet breakfast; afternoon desserts; excellent service. <BR> <BR>In Taos, Orlando's is a Mexican restaurant frequented by locals. Villa Fontana is lovely for outdoor (or indoor) lunch or dinners. <BR> <BR>Have fun...Karen

C Sep 9th, 2001 10:40 PM

The weather during October is likely to be too cool for much pool time. It's actually a very nice time of year there. <BR> <BR>On your way to Santa Fe, I'd recommend taking a day to take the tram up to the Sandia Peak and do a little hiking. <BR> <BR>

chuck Sep 10th, 2001 05:06 AM

Leann, <BR> <BR>I suggest you do a search on this site as there has been a lot of good info posted on NM over the last 6 months. <BR> <BR>But I definitely agree with anon. about the El Rey in Santa Fe. And Roberto's restaurant in Taos was fantastic when we ate there approx. 5 years ago. <BR> <BR>Great time of year for hiking. And you may want to explore Bandolier National Monument, west of the area you're talking about. <BR> <BR>Have a great time!

Paul Sep 10th, 2001 06:46 AM

Leann, <BR>I don't know how many nights you will be staying but here are some suggestions" <BR> <BR>Take the Tramway to the top of Sandia Crest in Albuquerque. <BR> <BR>Spend a couple days in Santa Fe <BR> <BR>Definitely spend at least one day in Taos. <BR> <BR>Check out Bandalier N.M. near Los Alamos. There is a nice level 3 mile round trip hike and also some ladders you can climb into the caves the Native Americans lived in. Pretty cool. <BR> <BR>Also, check out the Chama area. I think its beautiful up there. You can also ride on the Cumbres and Toltec scenic narrow gauge railway. Search for it on the web. Don't forget to try our Red or Green Chiles!

New Mexican Sep 18th, 2001 10:06 PM

The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta begins the first weekend in October and is always a hit with tourists. I think it is a must-see if you never have experienced it before.