Itinerary and Hotel Advice Maine Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been searching for hotels for my husband, me and our 2 (9&12) kids for our trip in end of June. At the moment will be driving from Boston to Camden on Tuesday, June 26 stay there for 2 nights? And go to Portland for 2 nights and 1 night in Portsmouth or somewhere close to Boston. Have hotel in Boston on Sunday, July 1. I'm not sure how far up we can go without spending all the time in the car. I'm thinking at least as far as Bar Harbor or Camden. We’d like to see the south and mid coast. Any suggestions on where would be good places to stay on a budget of 100-150 a night. I am looking for specific recommendations of a town to be in, as well as accommodations, restaurants .Staying within our budget for accommodations is preferred. Please help!!!
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:46 AM

Several years ago we spent a long weekend in the Camden area staying at Glenmoor by the Sea in Lincolnville (just north of Camden). The units near the pool look like they just fit in your budget. Although right on Rt 1, it's back from the road and the more expensive cottage are further in back. It's a nice property with lots of lawn, a pool and places to walk. Just noticed you will be there before the rates increase on July 1.
Unless you are planning on hiking, maybe not go as far as Bar Harbor which is still a couple of hours north of Camden.

You can probably find a cheaper place further away from Camden. We like Wiscasset but camp when we are there.

An organization to which I belong has done weekend meetings at the Hampshire Hotel in Seabrook NH. It's south of Portsmouth but fits your budget. It is set up as mini suites. It's right off the highway between I95 and Rt 1. Rt 1 is very commercial but you wouldn't be far from Portsmouth or, if the weather is warm enough, the water park in Hampton. It's a short drive to the beaches. Again, you can probably find some standard room type motels that are cheaper.
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:06 AM

Mid coast and Bar Harbor are rocky shore/ hikes/ scenery/ antiques. Southern Maine has some beach. What are your plans? Sunbathing? Pool? Hiking? Whale Watching? Shopping and Dining I would assume since you are going to Portland.

The driving isn't the problem, it really is just a few hours from Boston to Bar Harbor. But your plan of four different hotels in a week leaves little time to actually DO anything. If you want to just drive around and see this and that I guess it's fine. But we don't know if your 9 and 12 year olds are the "what are we gonna do for fun today?" type or the "shut up and drive while I watch my Ipad" type.
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:13 AM

Well, I'm definately Acadia-centric. I think your kids are the perfect age for outdoorsy stuff like hiking, biking and kayaking.

If that sounds appealing, I would spend almost all your time there, although I do like to spend some time in Portland, too. We're not shoppers, so we don't tend to enjoy the cute towns others do.

~Liz
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

dfrostnh and joesorce Thank you both for respond.
Just found Glenmor by the Sea in 'Seagate Building'for $129,
Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront $169?
Fireside Inn & Suites Portland?
Portsmouth or somewhere close to Boston hotel?
Interested in doing some walking, seeing some nice scenery, some easy hiking,eating lobster. We are from Florida so Sunbathing, sandy beach not a priority.
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

thank you elberko,We're not shoppers ether,But a thought Arcadia little to far.Camden probably far enough in the car from
Boston.
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM

I agree with joesorce's second paragraph...
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:15 AM

If the kids are sports fans, check out the Portland SeaDogs - the AA affliate of the Red Sox. Minor league baseball is a great entertainment value - they always have crazy stuff going on in between innings.

Or try a lobster cruise with Lucky Catch in Portland. My kids loved that when they were younger.

In Acadia, the hike around Jordan Pond is lots of fun for kid and then you can have ice cream on the lawn of the Jordan Pond House.

Near Portsmouth there is the Children's Museum - I think it relocated to Dover. Great place on a rainy day.

Odione State Park in Rye NH is another good place for the kids to explore. There is a tiny science museum, rocky shores, and old army bunkers to explore.
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Rather the Portsmouth, I'd consider Ogunquit for a long stroll on a hard sand beach and a short stroll on the Marginal Walk, a rocky coastal path. Only because you are already doing urban time in Portland. I enjoy Seachambers, but there are plenty of expensive or on highway 1 lodgings to choose from. I think the kids would like it.
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:57 AM

It would be hard to find a one-nighter anywhere near Ogunquit on the Saturday night before a big holiday week, I would think. You might spend one more night in Camden or Portland, then make your way to Portland on Sunday morning. Saturday will be nothing but a traffic mess around Ogunquit/Wells/Portsmouth as it's the offical start of the busiest month of the year.