Italian Restaurant NY after Christmas Show

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are meeting family - 16 in our group - in NY for Thanksgiving and will be going to the 5:00 show at Radio City on Wed. evening before Thanksgiving. We are looking for a casual Italian restaurant, for after the show, that won't break the bank - we are paying enough for dinner on Thanksgiving! I have already searched here and have gotten a few suggestions that I have looked into, but part of the problem is that we are a large group, and restaurants want to make us a private party with a pre-chosen or fixed price dinner. I've looked into Carmine's and Becco. I also called Trattoria dell Arte, and they will let us order off the menu, but if anyone has another more casual idea, I would really love to hear it. Thanks!
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Does it have to be Italian? I would suggest America as a good suggestion for such a large group. The food is good, and huge portions, and the menu will have something for everyone. Death by Chocolate is also very special. The kids menu is also good. The place is so large that your party of 16 will fit right in.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 05:27 PM

I almost hate to say this, but I think Carmine's is perfect for what you're asking. And you'll have a ball there. And even though I like Becco better, Carmine's sounds right for this group of 16 family!
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 05:31 PM

You might want to try Tony's DiNapoli. Similar to Carmine's, family style Italian, I actually like the food here better than Carmine's. There's one on upper east side (2nd Ave. and 82 st) and one in Theatre district (W. 43rd St.). I've gone there with big groups. We've just gone and ordered off the menu, worked out great.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 06:01 PM

Would encourage Trattoria del Arte va CArmine's - the food is way better. And not sure what youmean about casual - T del A is very cas - exccept when comparted to Mickey D's etc.

I always find the waiters fun - many actors manque - we had one do a drop dead Sutherland impression - when he heard us comment on it he did an entire soliloquy for us - it was absolutelly wicked.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 06:26 PM

I agree that the food is a lot better at a lot of places. I'm just thinking if this group of 16 is like most groups, the evening is about the fun, not the food. That's why I think of Carmines, where you get big platters of food to share and everybody digs in, laughs a lot, and just lets loose.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies and ideas. I am going to call Carmine's again as it was my first choice because of the "family style" of serving. We have 5 children in the group and I neglected to mention that when I spoke to the woman at Carmine's. I would prefer not to have to pre-choose the menu and make a deposit, which is what they want us to do due to the size of our group.

I will also check out Tony's DiNapoli and America. Thanks!!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 11:46 AM

By the way, I want to be honest here. This forum is not about imposing our own standards on others, but rather offering tips according to what they ask for or describe.

So I thought it only fair to mention that I have NEVER eaten at Carmines, and normally I wouldn't have any desire to based on many comments and upon my own observations passing by the place about a hundred times. My tip may be somewhat second hand, but I do know the kind of place it is, know lots of people who have gone there, and I'm making a suggestion according to the comments here. And although I said I normally wouldn't go there, it's the first place I'd think of IF I had a family group of 16 including me, looking for a fun Italian family style dinner.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

almesq - I was able to get a reservation at Tony's Di Napoli. Looks like a great place for us. As Patrick said, although there might be places we could go for better Italian, a restaurant that serves big portions family style will work the best for 11 adults and 5 kids! I know we'll have a great time just being together. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 12:01 PM
GoTravel

1scs, honestly, at this point I would go with whichever restaurant can accommodate you.

Not trying to be mean but the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is one of the busiest days of the year in NYC.

Old Oct 8th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

GoTravel, I was happy that Tony's could accomodate us! I have not spent Thanksgiving in New York before - our son is marching in the parade with his high school band - but can imagine how busy it will be. We've had all our other reservations for months now. This was the last thing I needed to do as I was the one elected to be in charge! Usually when we go into New York it is either with just our family or with another couple. It was interesting planning on a larger scale.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 02:45 PM

One small bit of advice: Make sure you reconfirm the reservation at least a day before.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 03:24 PM

1scs--enjoy Tony's. I've been there many times, and while there are certainly better Italian restaurants on a pure food basis in NYC, I always enjoy my meal at Tony's. Partly because it is a fun place with a large group, and also because the food is good. Nothing fancy, but good, basic homestyle Italian food.
Enjoy, and let us know how it turned out.