Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

It's that time of year...more NYC questions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I need some help with some really rough NYC planning. Basically, just ideas for what to see and where to go. At this point, it is mostly a theatre trip; we're catching Wedding Singer (not my choice, oh well), Drowsy Chaperone, Light in the Piazza and Sweeney Todd (this one isn't certain, as we aren't buying in advance -- no discounts currently -- but hope to grab TKTS tickets).

We'll be arriving around 8:00 in the evening on Monday, May 1st. Because we're too late to catch a show (would have liked to see Broadway by the Year), we need to fill this evening up. We are staying at the Pickwick Arms, so could stroll 5th Avenue, but by the time we check in and get settled, it will be after 9:00. Is there anything in the area for an evening's entertainment? We aren't into the club scene at all. Open to any suggestions though. We are on a budget, as we are poor students, so take that into consideration. Something fun and intersting would be a nice way to start the trip.

Tuesday, we see Wedding Singer at 7:00, and have the whole day open. I was thinking of checking out Brooklyn, but with such a short trip, I feel we can save it for next time. We'd like to do some bargain (does such a thing exist in NY?) shopping. I was thinking the East Village, but that is just a guess. This will be my 6th time in NY, but I'm still just getting to learn the city, so I don't know. I've also never been to the West Village, so thought we could check that out too. Sound like a plan? Will that kill a day? What would be a cool place for lunch (again, not too expensive)? Then, because our show starts at 7:00, we'll be out that much earlier. We could have a late supper, have cocktails, that fun stuff. Suggestions? ...again, not too expensive, and not too far out of the way.

Wednesday, is pretty much full. If we want to see the Wed. 2:00 show of Sweeney, we'll need to be at the TKTS line around 12:00 I'm thinking. Then the show, then a quick bite, then Drowsy Chaperone. However, with Drowsy only being about an hour and a half, we'll be out before 10:00. That gives us the evening again, so more "late night" suggestions would be great. Piano Bars? Cabaret acts? Interesting retaurants?

Thursday we're thinking Central Park (been there, done that, but it'll be spring, and it is just so beuatiful there), weather permitting. Check out the Met (yes this could take a whole day, but we'll just skim it, lol). Also, wander the Upper West Side. Is there much to see there beyond 5th westward? If we were going to devote a day to the Upper West Side, what kind of things would we see/do? Then again...we are going to the Lincoln Centre that night, so maybe it would be best to check out the Upper East Side...which is more exciting? Could we wander both?

And then Friday we head home early in the morning. It is a quick trip, but it would be a blast.

So yes, my main concerns at this point are (a) having some sort of game plan for each neighborhood that I mentioned (I've spent a few afternoons in NYC where walk around for a few hours got us nothing but sore feet -- wandering can be AWESOME, but you need to know where to do it) and (b) having some fun evening things to do after the theatre.

Thanks!
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Piano bars/cabarets

in the village: Marie's Crisis, the Duplex, Rose's Turn

in the theater district: Don't Tell Mama & Danny's Skylight

upper east side: Brandy's

more details http://gonyc.about.com/od/pianobars/

Monday night ideas.
>Jim Caruso's Cast Party
http://www.castpartynyc.com/

or closer to your hotel, Mimi's is a local Italian rest. that has a piano that often turns into sing alongs.
http://newyork.citysearch.com/review/7158391

or try one of the piano bars. They get going late.

Jubilee is a nice French bistro near your hotel if you like mussels (they have other things too)
http://www.jubileeny.com/

Discount shopping
Daffy's (there's one on east 57th st.)
Loehmann's (7th ave & 17th st)
Century 21 (downtown)
Sym's
look on nymetro.com/cheap for more ideas on shopping, dining etc.

Definitely spend some time in the village. "kill" a day? Hardly the word I'd use. Maybe you should think about a walking tour there? Or find one online to copy.

Have you ever walked the Brooklyn Bridge?
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Great response! Awesome suggestions.

Cast Party, can't believe I didn't think of it! I used to listen to the webcasts all the time. It's perfect. Two questions. First, what's the dress like? Super casual? Dressy casual? Second, how hard is it to get in? Do you need to be there early...or is it not issue?

Besides that, I think we are pretty much set with that list of links!

And yes, "kill" was a bad choice of words; "fill a day with enjoyable memories" would have been better.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Neopolitan

mclaurie, what a lifesaver. Just when I've been moping about no shows to do on my final Monday night, you suggest Jim Caruso's Cast Party. I've never been, and I had forgotten all about it -- didn't even know it still existed.

So I looked at the website. I don't want to perform. Do you reserve? Can one get in? It isn't very clear.

Meanwhile, how about emailing me?
patash2atearthlinkdotnet

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 07:52 PM

I would not count on Sweeny Todd having discounted seats. The show is always a hit on Broadway and Patty LaPone is amazing in that role.

If you want tickets for a 2:00 show, go to TKTS DOWNTOWN the day before. You can get matinee tickets on Tuesday for a Wed show. The location is at the South St. Seaport on the back of the Prudential Building, corner of Fulton and Water St. From there you could walk up Water St (toward the bridge) up to Chinatown, for lunch and some shopping on Canal St.

From there walk up Broadway a few blocks over, lots of interesting shopping, all the way up to 14th ST.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to ask. My friend really wants to do go to a loungy, swanky jazz bar for a martini...something upsale, but not NYC upscale, you know what I mean? (as in we buy our shoes at the mall, not on Park Avenue) I'm sure we can find something like this in a lot of hotels, but any specific suggestions for our area?
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Neopolitan

Darn. Someone mentioned a really cool martini bar somewhere around 52nd and 8th (?) just a week or so ago. It sounded great, and also offered sort of tapas snacks. I was sure I wrote in down, but now I seem to have lost it.

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 09:13 PM

We're oging to NYC next week and my daughter was talking about going to the Brooklyn botanical gardens,I think it was called. Said that they should be really pretty now.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:19 AM

I'll have to disagree with wantsomesun. There is a chance for discount tickets for Sweeney Todd, at least for weekday performances. Keep checking broadwaybox.com and playbill.com.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Try Campbells Apt. for an upscale lounge/drink before or after dinner. It is on the upper level of Grand Central Station ( the Vanderbuilt entrance.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:53 AM

Agree with Howard, Sweeney Todd should be available during the week. Why not print off the discount on broadwaybox.com and go straight to the theater when you arrive for tickets?

Agree with capecodshanty that Campbell Apts is a good option for drinks (but not a jazz bar). For a jazz bar, Dizzy's Coca Cola (in the Time Warner building) has good jazz and a nice view but a heavy cover charge (except on Mondays when they have student performers---yet another Mon. night option) http://www.jalc.org/dccc/c_calendar.asp.

The rooftop bar/restaurant at the Beekman Tower hotel usually has a piano player. That could be nice but phone ahead and make sure they're open. It's called Top of the Tower.
http://topofthetowernyc.com/

Vintage is the martini bar on 9th b/w 50-51 I think Neopolitan's thinking of. Divine Bar on 51 st b/w 1st & 2nd is pretty close to your hotel. I haven't been to either.

Haven't been to the Mon night Cast Party in a while but would say business casual should work. Phone about getting in.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Neopolitan

Ah, mclaurie, between the two of us we'll get this right. It was Divine Bar I was thinking of that someone waxed poetical about recently. But it is a newer one and is on West 54th -- between 8th and Broadway.

I too recommend the Campbell Apartment, although when I've been there it has been a pretty sedate and older crowd. The first person who says I must have fit right in is going to get it! But I did like it anyway.

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 10:15 AM

saving...
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Another big thanks!

You have been a HUGE help. I've catalogued all this info into a handy word document (with hours of operation and addresses) to bring along with us.

Thanks wantsomesun for the TKTS Downtown idea. I'll keep checking for a May discount, but it one isn't released, that's a great backup I hadn't thought of (and much better than fighting that crowd at the Time Square TKTS).

I'll write up a nice big trip report when I get back to let you know how we did. Thanks again!