is traffic in Kuai as bad as they say??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites, My husband and I have never been to Kaui and are staying at the Hanalei Colony Resort near the North coast for one week in early November. I am considering dividing up the stay and spending 3 or 4 nights, there, and the rest somewhere in Poipu, maybe the Hyatt. I have read that the traffic can be horrendous driving between the north and south coast so this seems like a way to avoid spending too much time in a car but still see both areas. Also, should we expect to see much sun in the north during early November? Thanks for any and all feedback!
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 05:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know I'm dating myself but when I lived on Oahu there was only ONE traffic light on the entire island of Kauai. Things have changed, obviously, but if you are patient and keep reminding yourself this is NOT where you are lucky enough to live you'll appreciate waiting at traffic lights, etc., over there a lot more IMO.
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 10:10 AM

I've never encountered a problem with traffic when driving around Kauai. From what other posters have said, it sounds like traffic can back up in Kapaa during certain times, so hopefully someone will chime in here and provide more details. I've never planned any of my driving around potential traffic back-ups, and I've never had a problem. You'll love Kauai, have fun!
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM

In the summer of 2009, we hit a huge traffic jam trying to get from Poipu to the north shore, huge enough for us to change turn around and go back. I have no idea how typical this is (we'll be there in a couple of weeks - I can report more then).
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM

jbh, I was there when there was flooding and bridges out, the traffic was not a problen at all, even with the lane closures. The only locals advice I can give you is to watch out for the chickens! Enjoy Kauai, it is a very unique and wonderful Island.
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Disclaimer. I've not been to Kauai. (But I have been to the other 3 major islands).

These boards in general are good only for anecdotal info on traffic. You can get better info here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Kapaa+...ed=0CBoQ8gEwAA
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 05:56 PM

During rush hour and the shoulder times, there is often bad traffic in the Kapa'a/Wailua area. At the worst, it might add 20 - 30 minutes to your drive from the North to the South shore. But there is a well-marked bypass that circumvents most of it.

I almost always take the bypass anyway -- because it's a beautiful drive.

You don't need to worry about the traffic.

I always stay on the North Shore. Much of the infamous rain comes at night--and in brief showers. I've had entire rainy days for 2 or 3 consecutive days. I've also had three weeks of glorious sunshine in the "rainy" season. There's really no way to predict.

I don't like the South shore as much -- but I hear the Grand Hyatt is beautiful. If you want to visit Waimea Canyon and beautiful Mahaulepu Beach and maybe Allerton Gardens, it would be more convenient to stay a few days in Poipu.

If you do decide to split your time, I'd stay in Poipu first -- because after the North Shore, and Lumahai Beach; Ke'e Beach; and Hanalei Bay, Poipu might not look as good ;-)
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 02:25 PM

Hanalei is absolutely beautiful. We spent part of our honeymoon there and still remember the lovely beach, rice paddies, and waterfalls.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:40 AM

The traffic isn't horrendous by mainland standards. If you drive during rush hour the commute time may be extended by 20 minutes. Other times it adds about 5-10 minutes vs. no traffic.

Splitting up your stay is still a good idea, although the Hyatt and Hanalei Colony Resort are a world apart in every respect. I can't imagine being happy with HCR after the Hyatt. I'd do 3 nights at the Hyatt and end with 4 nights at a nicer place in Princeville like Puu Poa or Hanalei Bay Resort. And if at all possible try to extend your vacation by a couple days, the extra time make a huge difference.

November is one of the wetter months, but you'd be unlucky not to get a few days worth of sun.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 02:22 PM

traffic as always is not good at rush hour so try to avoid that. it is a quite a drive from North to South but worth it to see the difference and appreciate the beauty of each and enjoy the funky little towns you drive through. Grand Hyatt is lovely - one of my favorites - but it is a large resort so that into consideration. Fairly new hotel Koa Kea (sp)at Poipu Beach is very small and has a very good restaurant Red Salt. Poipu Beach can get very crowded but maybe not in November. We have never been stopped by rain although November is a month we have not visited. It rains generally some every day and sometimes quite a bit at night but that's what makes it the Garden Isle. It is so beautiful. I'm dreaming of my next visit perhaps next year.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 05:27 PM

Hey what's a little traffic in paradise? It gives you more time to enjoy the beauty along the way. I don't remember the drive from the north to south shore being very long to begin with probably around an hour (the island is very small).

It is a tropical region so you will have warm, sunny days even if when the trade winds bring some rain.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 05:31 PM

>

I have to agree with songdoc.
When I came around the bend and looked down into the valley of Hanalei I thought I'd died and gone to Paradise. It takes your breath away.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 06:00 PM

Well, as far as I'm concerned, a traffic jam in paradise automatically turns it into non-paradise, but we're in Kauai now and so far so good. Haven't been north yet, but Poipu area, Poipu to Lihue and Poipu to Waimea have been no problem.