Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is this the best route for Connecticut to DC area? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-this-the-best-route-for-connecticut-to-dc-area-725505/)

Tasha8182 Aug 1st, 2007 07:38 AM

Is this the best route for Connecticut to DC area?

Alright, with all the help from the other posts, I think I have planned my route for tomorrow. I am going to leave at 4 am and hopefully miss most of the traffic. My final destination is Rockvile, MD. Please look over my trip and tell me if this is best?

-84 West to 684 South
-Then 287 towards Tappan Zee Bridge
-Then Garden State Parkway to New Jersey Turnpike
-Take exit 7 for 195-W
-Then take 295-S to the Deleware Memorial Bridge
-Take 95 South to Maryland
-Take 495 West (exit 27)
-Take 270 (exit 35)
-Take exit 6A off of 270 towards West Montgomery
-Then finish with the local roads

Does this sound about right or have I gotten it completely wrong? Also, how much will the tolls costs with all this routes now that I'm not taking 95 the whole way?

yestravel Aug 1st, 2007 07:47 AM

You've got the Maryland part right. When you take Take 495 West (exit 27)
it says Silver Spring/Bethesda
Have a safe trip!

PaulRabe Aug 1st, 2007 08:29 AM

The fastest way to find out tolls is to do an Internet search for

"name of highway or bridge" toll

when I did so for "Tappan Zee Bridge," I found this URL:

www.nysthruway.gov/tolls/barrier.html

which said the toll is $4 but only for southbound cars. Since this is an east-west bridge, I can't be certain which way is free.

Overall, your route is probably the best combo of low traffic, distance, time, and minimal tolls.

While near Philly, listen to KYW 1060-AM for traffic every ten minutes. I *THINK* the station for similar traffic reports in the NYC area is 1010-AM.

venusfan Aug 1st, 2007 09:01 AM

Get a gps navigation system and trust me, u will not go wrong

nyer Aug 1st, 2007 09:51 AM

From CT to MD, there is no toll on the Tappan Zee.
Total tolls would be about $6-8 .
I have EZ Pass so I never notice the cash toll amounts.
BTW, I assume you are taking this route to avoid traffic, not tolls, because the savings would only be a couple of dollars.But I doubt that you'd have any traffic on 95 south from 4 am - 7:00 anyway, and that gets you most of the way there
EZ PASS (which you don't have?) is an even bigger saver of both time and money. A little money, a lot of time (I routinely shave off half of the waiting time at any toll station with it)

mairseydotes Aug 1st, 2007 11:39 AM

I'd stay off the Garden State Pkwy--too many tolls and stops. Stick with the Turnpike and take it all the way to the bridge in Delaware. (To avoid long lines at the gas pumps, try a local road off the Tpke for a fill-up.) I'm not sure about the rest of the trip after getting off of I-95.