Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is this photo from California? Or Missouri? Or somewhere else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While organizing decades of my photos, I came across this one
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pr77x/10577931484/
(and others) that, as far as I can tell, were taken while or soon after I visited northern Missouri. Problem is, it looks a LOT more like something from Southern California than anything in the Midwest. Does anyone recognize it?
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 10:15 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
More California topography than Missourian, but the taller trees trouble me - they look more like poplars or birch, inconsistent with what look like "live oak" trees in the lower right. But if the choices are CA vs. MO, I'd go with California. Don't recognize the specific place, though. Do you have other photos from the same area?
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Where in California did you go? That photo looks like it could be Central California, with maybe eucalyptus trees along with the oaks.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 10:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My best guess would be pinnacles nat'l monument inland from Monterey.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

First of all, thank you to all those who offered to help.

Fortunately, with a little more research, I managed to figure it out -- but the answer surprised me.

Since 1975 I've kept track of every trip I've taken, such that I know exactly what I visited on what day. I re-checked my records for that time period, and found my answer.

The photos taken on the same day as the one I posted are consecutive to one I took of the Churchill Memorial in Fulton, Missouri, which I visited on 1994 November 13. After leaving Fulton, I visited the University of Missouri. In that same month I spent three days in Chicago, and for Christmas I flew out to California. I spent two days visiting with my family, and on December 26 I visited Malibu Creek State Park.
http://www.malibucreekstatepark.org/
http://www.malibucreekstatepark.org/...ead_9-7_HR.jpg
It's pretty clear that's where I was when I took my photo.

In other words, I did not take ONE PHOTO in between a visit to Fulton, Missouri and a visit to Malibu Creek. I'm dumbfounded, because it was not unusual for me to take over 50 photos a day when I travel -- in the days when you didn't know if your photos were any good until you had already paid for the film and developing.

Again, thanks for all those willing to help.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 12:02 PM

I'm often dumbfounded by gaps in the my photo record. Perhaps avid photographers take so many pictures generally, we don't notice. I often think, "that is an interesting composition" or "what great light!" even when I'm without a camera (which is rare).

This is one of the best aspects of photography, that you appreciate what you're "seeing" in an enhanced way. A way that, apparently, doesn't need an actual camera to work.

Does that even make sense?
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 03:53 PM

I was just going to say...Santa Monica mountains, most likely Malibu Creek State Park!!! Look at the opening shots from M*A*S*H, which was filmed there. I used to hike there, and nearby Sycamore Canyon, a lot.