Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is this a good price to FT Myers? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-this-a-good-price-to-ft-myers-423494/)

teacherD Apr 18th, 2004 04:44 AM

Is this a good price to FT Myers?

We are planning a trip to Florida this summer to look at retirement properties. We are flying into Ft. Myers and yesterday I used Orbitz, Travelocity and the Continental sites. I don't know if this price for a non-stop flight from Newark is good and naturally don't want to book since changing costs over $100. Any ideas? The lowest round trip price quoted I got was $259.
What about car rental? We need 2 weeks and I saw Hertz (with a coupon I have) as the lowest quote for an Intermediate car. The cost was $320 all taxes inc.

bluestructure Apr 18th, 2004 04:58 AM

WWW.Airtran.com

They fly from Newark to Ft. Myers and have some low fares this summer. They connect in Atlanta thou. Avg fare is 68.00-100.00 bucks one way depending when you leave. I dunno about the rental car, you should have included when you are leaving/returning.

rkkwan Apr 18th, 2004 05:01 AM

Like bluestructure says, AirTran is a good alternative to fly from EWR. If you want non-stop flights, try Philadelphia - which is becoming a huge battleground for airlines this summer with tonnes of cheap fares from all airlines as Southwest is starting service there.

Even JFK is cheaper, because of Jetblue. They have non-stop to Ft. Myers for <$90 each way.

teacherD Apr 18th, 2004 05:04 AM

My dates are tentatively June 21 thru July5 but we are flexible. We do want a non-stop flight and Philly was more according to the quotes I found yesterday.

diann Apr 18th, 2004 05:13 AM

I haven't search those specific date but to be honest it sounds quite high. I am going to florida mid May from Philly non-stop for $138.00 rd trip. USAirways. If you are getting a rental car try to search other airports close to Ft. Myers. that may be less expensive.

rkkwan Apr 18th, 2004 05:39 AM

Yeah, I did a little search, and there aren't that many good deals from the NE to Southwest Florida right now. Unless you want to go over to JFK and take Jetblue, you may want to either just bite the bullet, or wait for a fare sale. Or do something like Philly-Tampa on Southwest, but that's a lot of car travel on both ends of the journey.

bluestructure Apr 18th, 2004 06:02 AM

leaving JFK on june 21 (79.00) and returning on july 5 (116.00) costs 212.20 with taxes. Non stop flight to Ft Myers on Jet blue. check out their webfares.

teacherD Apr 18th, 2004 02:54 PM

Thanks for the advice. JFK is really out of the way for us (by the time we'd hire a car to take us there the cost would be more than leaving from Newark.) I'll look a bit more this week and see if Philly will produce any savings.

flyfaraway Apr 19th, 2004 12:51 PM

You should look at package deals through Orbitz. I know I've gotten great flight/car rental deals that were pretty cheap. You might also consider signing up for Orbitz "Deal Detectors" where they will send you an email with their lowest prices for that city. I think you can definitely find a ticket under $269! Good Luck.